Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just drove a Carrera T and Carrera S back to back. I have questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 11:42 AM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I'd rather have a base 911 C2 than a T.
For the money saved, it can be made into a whole lot more car. Rebuilt turbos, Ohlins, sways. It can be more powerful and handle like a GT3.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:39 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by Klepper
This car looks like it has everything you want (and then some), but it's not cheap.

https://www.porschenorthhouston.com/...AA2A98KS104060
Stunning. I instantly thought "****! I should have gone w Miami Blue". It's as close to a PERFECT build as you can get IMO.

To the OP - snap this up!

The following users liked this post:
zunayed (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 02:05 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,179 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Stunning. I instantly thought "****! I should have gone w Miami Blue". It's as close to a PERFECT build as you can get IMO.

To the OP - snap this up!

+1. I personally prefer the unpainted front and rear fascias, and I need back seats regularly, but that is a great build. The PCCBs with Miami Blue look incredible!
The following users liked this post:
zunayed (07-11-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 12:37 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

I've been in that blue car. It's a great build.

cheers!
Old 07-15-2019, 11:50 PM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ianmSC
So I'm not a typical Carrera T owner, I was just in the market for a used 911 and didn't really have a strong preference besides wanting the newer PCM, GT sport steering wheel and the Sport Plus seats in the 991.2. I looked at every dealer's inventory in Southern California, and a there was a 2018 T with 4,000 miles on it for $92k, when most 2017-18 base cars were listed for $95k and up with more mileage. The car, which I wound up buying, was optioned with PDK, sunroof, Bose speakers, no RAS and 4-way seats, so obviously not the configuration that most Rennlisters would choose for a T. For me, it was a great fit because of the standard options, the wheel, seats, sport-tex interior and even the painted black trim made it feel a little more special than a base car.

CPO S models were much more. I saw a 2015 911 S with an original sticker of around 118k and 14,600 miles for $83,000 and was told they were firm on price. Four months later, the cheapest used S model within 200 miles of LA (according to Autotrader) is a 2017 for $105k with 5100 miles...one 2017 S with an original MSRP of 133k is asking $105k now with 20,600 miles. Mine had no CPO on it, as it apparently had been on the lot for 6 months (they told me and showed me, but no idea if actually true) and they wanted to keep the price down to sell it. Probably BS, but that's what they claimed. Anyway, it had 38 months and 46,000 miles left on the warranty, which is better than some 2016 CPO's and probably not that far off from what some 2017 CPO's have left, so it felt worth it even without the CPO.

As someone who doesn't have the "right" T, but didn't care that much in the first place, I can say that for my daily driver and only car, there have been probably 3-4 times in 4 months where I've thought to myself, yeah, I could use more power or more brakes. On the other hand, there have been many many times as a 6'2 215 pound person that I've been glad I have the 4-way sport plus seats and the smaller GT steering wheel. I've driven an 991.2 C2S and the power is amazing. But for a $13-20k gap in price (for my car) it was absolutely not worth it to get the S. Especially when most of them don't come with the Sport Plus seats or GT sport steering wheel anyway (and seats and steering wheels make a big difference in how you interact with the car). It does seem *a little* lighter than the S, but if you think of it as a regular car with a nice package of sportier/driver focused options instead of some special edition car, you can probably get a better deal on it than an S, because many dealer optioned cars are like mine, not the enthusiast focused version that seemingly most T buyers would prefer.

I guess my overall point is that people seem to argue that you should just buy an S instead of a T because they're the same price, and my experience is that if you're not looking for the enthusiast version, there are many more deals to be had with a T than an S. Maybe $13-17k isn't that big of a gap for most people here, but it certainly is for me.
FYI sounds like you are in SoCal.

I am Central Coast (San Luis Obispo) and I picked up my S for just about 90K with 12 K mi on it in Santa Maria. Was the cheapest Carrera S I believe in all of Southern CA. Not a CPO car, but has two years of original factory warranty. Not optioned with ceramic brakes or rear wheel steering. Seats are 18 Way Sport Seats (if I recall). A "T" was of less interest as I wanted the higher power and better brakes. Not planning to track the car. Knew after 30 seconds in the car it was right for me. The torque curve is amazing and the car pulled like a freight train.

Also considered the Mercedes Benz AMG GTS and drove one. What a boat compared to the 911, with overboosted steering and brakes, esp in Sport modes. The AMG GTS are cheaper (2017 models) compared to 911s, and many more available. But now I know why.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:43 AM
mammothcar1
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. The search is still ongoing.
We found one, but missed it by a day. Funny how that is...
Old 07-16-2019, 10:04 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by mammothcar1
Thanks for all the replies. The search is still ongoing.
We found one, but missed it by a day. Funny how that is...
Bummer! What about that Miami Blue one? Wrong color for you?

For what it's worth, my CT in Guards Red is the LOUDEST car color wise I've ever owned and it's a blast. I'm usually a silver / grey / white guy. But this is actually super fun!
Old 07-16-2019, 10:33 AM
mammothcar1
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Bummer! What about that Miami Blue one? Wrong color for you?

For what it's worth, my CT in Guards Red is the LOUDEST car color wise I've ever owned and it's a blast. I'm usually a silver / grey / white guy. But this is actually super fun!
This is the camp I'm in.
White, black, silver and red, with red being the loudest color I would own. ( I did own a 2012 Boss 302 in Race Red though.)
The MB is sharp, I'm just not sure if my personality can pull it off, if that make sense.

Quick Reply: I just drove a Carrera T and Carrera S back to back. I have questions...