Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just drove a Carrera T and Carrera S back to back. I have questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 04:21 PM
mammothcar1
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Default I just drove a Carrera T and Carrera S back to back. I have questions...

Hi all.

I just test drove a 2018 Carrera T and a 2017 Carrera S back to back.
Both were M/T, both were almost identical with PSE, etc.
The T had buckets.

I've read many of the threads comparing the T to an S, and please don't think I'm bashing one over the other, both are fantastic cars in their own right.
To me, the T felt very different.
Now that the T has been out for a while, I'm starting to see quite a few pop up as preowned with low miles. is there a reason why some owners are trading in after a year of ownership?
What are everyone's thoughts about the T now. I'd especially love to hear from the owners that have owned their T for a while.

How would you spec your T now?
In hindsight, would you have just bought an S?
What have your experiences and thoughts been when jumping from another 991 to a T?
Did the T feel different to you, or am I just imagining things...

I've always preferred my weekend toy car to be a little spartan, my previous cars have been the new GT350, Boss 302, MKIV Golf R and others. If I were to spec a T, my two big options would be the buckets and PCCB.
Any pros or cons with a build like that?

Thank you for your time and helping to answer my questions.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:35 PM
*991*
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 96 Posts

From my personal experience the LWB would be great on the track(really hold u well in place) but for a weekend cruiser and maybe tracking once or twice a year I prefer the 18 ways. IMHO its what u plan to use the car for and u should def try both out.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:41 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

A 911 is not a DD to me. It can be, but it's not to me. This is a special car that deserves a special color/setup.

With that said I love the T and the S... The S can be configured in a million different ways.

If I were to build a T, it must have LWB, PCCB, and MT.. PDK is still acceptable but I'd want the lightest possible configuration to truly make it unique... If you start adding on things like FAL/Sunroof/18 ways you're essentiall buying a base with a different badge.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:00 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 498 Posts

Power is always an issue. If you are looking @ a base and like that, then I would recommend not driving a higher HP variant. 18 way seats are great for me. Some don’t like LWB because of lack of versatility. I think people get excited about a certain spec and then buy the car realizing they will very infrequently tracks he car. If your build was designed around track performance, then there can be buyers remorse. So people just flip cars regularly. Only you will know what the right car is for you. And if you are not sure then do not buy anything. You will have lost nothing. There are no more allocations so building a super custom T is not an option so you are buying someone else’s spec, so wait unless you are sure. Have you looked a the the GTS?
Old 07-04-2019, 06:55 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

T Vs. S? My initial thoughts have to do with your purpose for this car. Want an evening/weekend ripper that you drive in a pair of jeans and a T-shirt? Get the T. Need something more as a DD, in business attire, with access to the back seats, then find a car with Sport Seats, T or S.

I specked my T as somewhat of both. I drive it daily and take it up into the hills for a good rip. So I spec'd CT with a MT, PCCBs and 4WSS+ seats (which are spectacular and I can access the back area). I went back and forth and back and forth on LWBS or 4WSS+ and I'm super happy I went with the latter. I have a Gen-1 Spyder with LWBS and they fit the ethos of THAT car 100%.

So... I would choose a T over an S, with 4WSS+ / 18-Way SS seats and MT.

Note: Should you pick up the T you can order in some Sport Seats and sell the LWBS if you wanted. There is a STRONG market for those and only available in the GT cars.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:23 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

Drove T and S when comparison driving, at that time the T was just out and they were receiving lots of positive chatter.

The base engine has plenty of power, so not an issue. What drove me to the my choice of an S was the AWD, a base C4 (initial choice) was not available for order so ended with a C4S.

Decide what you must have and go from there.

As far as low mileage vehicles, I saw the same when cruising the dealer ads and looking at inventory. Cars with around 5k miles where common, were they traded in for another Porsche or lease turn-ins, have no idea.

As far as 911 as daily driver, that's what mine is. Granted being retired means it isn't driven every day but I've got close to 5k miles in 7 months of ownership. It's time to trade it in!
Old 07-04-2019, 09:32 PM
Nephroid
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
The base engine has plenty of power, so not an issue. What drove me to the my choice of an S was the AWD, a base C4 (initial choice) was not available for order so ended with a C4S.

I’m not sure why but i recall seeing on a recent thread that the C4 is by far the least common configuration for the 991. Way more C4S’s by comparison. Not sure why that is and seems a bit counterintuitive
Old 07-04-2019, 09:38 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Unless you are going to a GT car, there are certain things you can only get (vice spec, as has been said, that ship has sailed) on a T. The marketing worked on me.

I'm biased, but you felt the difference, the T IS different. The biggest difference for me comes down to the gearing, the smaller turbos, and the weight. If you are not going for the MT and aren't a fan of the T interior bits, then it makes no sense to pay the T Party Tax... If you want a car with a bunch of extra stuff, then just get a S or a GTS. You'll pay some more for a bit more power, and have identical cars to thousands of others...

A T is a choice and you'll have to put up with some grief. To most of us, it's worth it. The folks who have sold, either couldn't hang or started to want more power or something more shiny, imo. It's a driver's car, not a beauty or a blunt instrument.

Started to mod my car now, and it's a great platform for it. Small money for big gains. I'm just over6 months of ownership, coming up on 4,000 miles. Most of which have been ripping up Hill Country. I've never wanted for more power and have enjoyed carrying speed and driving the car more disciplined/nuanced (which you can do, and have to in order to get the most from it, vice just relying on a heavy right foot...)

RAS, PCCB, FB, T Interior, SC. Wouldn't change a thing. Good luck on grabbing one!

ß
Old 07-04-2019, 09:39 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

I have had my T for a year and 6,000 miles. It's my toy car and not my daily although I grab the keys for the T more often on a daily basis than I do my BMW 535x ( which is my actual daily). I've had a lot of pcars and this is my all time favorite. In fairness I have added Cobb and a DSC unit. Did it need the power - no - but I like modding my cars. Anyway - to me it's the right combination of low key good looks, power, feel, sound and involvement. I usually only keep my toys a year or less. Started looking for my next car and my T has ruined me. Drove a 2019 TTS - Liked my T better. Drove a 2019 McLaren 570S Spyder - Liked my T better... Asked my SA to find me a GT3 Touring. He did and went right over with my check book. Couldn't do it. I liked my T better. Its ruined me.
These things are very individual but for me there's something about the T thats greater than the sum of its parts - I love this car.

As far as speccing one. I've had the LWB in my GT3s - great seats for occasional driving. Getting in and out sucks and passengers hate them. My T has 18 way. RWS and manual are a must. Love the look of PCCB but not at all necessary. Stock brakes are great.

Good luck - Have Fun!
The following users liked this post:
lmmo (09-07-2022)
Old 07-04-2019, 10:23 PM
BA73
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 100 Posts
Default zues dresses up...

Jeans and a t-shirt...I wear a tank and shorts in my T, even to the stables.

Last edited by BA73; 04-02-2021 at 07:33 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by BA73:
BlackOptic (07-07-2019), ianmSC (07-09-2019), masti99 (07-09-2019), mglane83 (07-08-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 11:50 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

I had my T out today. I come home giddy and chuckling every time. I have owned several Porsche’s and driven everything from 944’s to GT3RS’s. The T is quite the combo. At the moment I don’t see this car going away any time soon.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:59 PM
mammothcar1
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for all the great insight and replies.

So far, when test driving the T and S, both with M/T, the T put the biggest grin on our faces.

We're going to compare another T and S tomorrow, just to see if the magic from the T is still there.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:24 AM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I drove both and went with the S.

I wanted PDK, not manual, so it was really a no brainer for me.
The T didn't have enough power for me- and I didn't care for the decorative bits or very slightly lighter chassis. Losing the e diff was also no bueno with a PDK T, nor the larger brakes.

The following 4 users liked this post by dkhm3:
gotgolf52 (07-10-2019), JHW911 (07-06-2019), koven (07-06-2019), sanghav4 (07-09-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 12:27 AM
zunayed
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr993
As far as speccing one. I've had the LWB in my GT3s - great seats for occasional driving. Getting in and out sucks and passengers hate them. My T has 18 way. RWS and manual are a must. Love the look of PCCB but not at all necessary. Stock brakes are great.
Mine is a daily and specced similarly with 18 ways, RWS and manual. I think seat choice is dictated by use and I wouldn’t spec the buckets for my purposes. I also love the sportex and the pinstripes on the seats. Though I’ve never had issues with my stock brakes, PCCBs would’ve been nice to have. RWS and 7MT are definitely must haves.

I love owning the T and to me it feels different from the other Carreras I’ve driven, but difference would be hard to quantify and explain. It just feels more raw (less sound deadening?) and lively I guess. RWS is awesome and makes the car feel as small as my 981. The stock shifter is fantastic and the T is just tons to fun to drive all the time. Honestly, I wouldn’t change it for anything other than a low mileage, low spec manual 991.2GT3 with lift aaand 20k off the MSRP. So probably never.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:45 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by BA73
Jeans and a t-shirt...I wear a tank and shorts in my T. and drive the **** out of it, even to the stables.(love you zues996).
SNAP!! The T is the gift that just keeps giving! Can't get enough!

The following users liked this post:
masti99 (07-09-2019)

Quick Reply: I just drove a Carrera T and Carrera S back to back. I have questions...