Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just drove a Carrera T and Carrera S back to back. I have questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 06:54 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by mammothcar1
We're on the hunt for sure.
We found one that fit most of our wants, but the dealer kept delaying the DME report with many excuses.
Things that make you go hmmm.

Here is our wish list, in order of importance.
M/T - must have
LWB - must have
PCCB - love to have ( not many out there)
RAS. - nice to have

We've been checking Rennlist, Porsche and all the other usual places.
If anyone has a spec like this and interested in selling, send me a PM.
Thank you.
I have a very similar build. No PCCB or RAS though. Love the LWBS and MT of course. I wish I would have ordered the PCCB's though. That's the only option I regret not getting. RAS is a personal preference I believe. I dont have it and you cant miss what you never had! LOL!

The T is such a great platform. You will love it no matter the configuration.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:54 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

My biggest issue with the T is that the secret is out and that used prices are not coming down as fast as I would like!

I've driven several .2 S's and to me the T just feels what I am looking for in a 911. That may not be what everyone else is looking for but it's perfect for ME. Something about the combination is "just right" with these cars.

I hope one day they reach my price bracket. Don't have much further to go..
The following 2 users liked this post by Needsdecaf:
Sarawnty (07-08-2019), Zeus993 (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 08:30 PM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

We found one that fit most of our wants, but the dealer kept delaying the DME report with many excuses.

M/T - must have
LWB - must have
RAS. - nice to have

Thank you.
Sounds like a fine spec (coincidently what I have). I like the MT and LWB. I don't miss PCCB. And I like the simplicity of no RAS. (Less to deal with maintenance issues, and easier to use 19" winter wheels.) RAS and PCCB have been beaten to death and then some. Check out links here.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:52 PM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

M/T - must have
LWB - must have
RAS. - nice to have

Thank you.
You have great taste. I was selling mine but decided to keep it. It is a special car that's for sure.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:55 PM
BA73
Racer

Received 237 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by rxtrom
You have great taste. I was selling mine but decided to keep it. It is a special car that's for sure.

reading this thread, your car was top of mind, but didnt see your for sale listing anymore. Glad to hear you're keeping it!
Old 07-09-2019, 09:59 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
I would go with the T, IMO the special bits are cool (I guess I'm a sucker for them) and prefer the less boosted 3.0 engine

I heard the 991.1's were even more less boosted and even lighter.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:03 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
I heard the 991.1's were even more less boosted and even lighter.
I guess, I currently own and drive a 991.1 50th after my 991.2 C4 and the 3.0 in the C4 was actually more fun. Even if "lighter" and more boosted, it is a sweet spot IMO
Old 07-09-2019, 11:13 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

There is a brand new T at my dealer with bucket seats, no sunroof, manual. Silver with black/red T-interior. Not full leather. PM me if interested.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:56 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I just drove my friends stock 991.2 S with sport suspension, ras, pse, sunroof and a 911 T with ras but no sunroof. Handling was great on both of them as expected. The shifter felt better on the T. The power/torque was much better in the S. Braking felt similar but probably noticeable after repeated track use. Both sounded about the same as far as volume is concerned. I did not notice any difference in turbo lag. They both have a little. I would take the S if setup the same as the T with sport exhaust, sport chassis, rear steer. The power difference is significant stock. Of course you can mod both of them and the S can always be more powerful. The only reason to get a T is if you want the sport buckets.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:07 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

We had a sport-optioned C2S (RAS and the like, MT). It is every bit as good as the T driving-wise, but with more power and better brakes. Cloth door handles and badges are not particularly important to me; I will take the bigger engine and brakes, thank you very much.

To me, a bucket equipped T makes no sense, as you then lose the back seats. If you don't need the back seats, the GT4 is the car to get. It is much more raw, analogue experience than any non-GT 911. Sure, the turbo engine in the T is quicker, but the GT4 is much more involving and a car I would personally look forward to driving vs. any non-GT 911.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:16 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
We had a sport-optioned C2S (RAS and the like, MT). It is every bit as good as the T driving-wise, but with more power and better brakes. Cloth door handles and badges are not particularly important to me; I will take the bigger engine and brakes, thank you very much.

To me, a bucket equipped T makes no sense, as you then lose the back seats. If you don't need the back seats, the GT4 is the car to get. It is much more raw, analogue experience than any non-GT 911. Sure, the turbo engine in the T is quicker, but the GT4 is much more involving and a car I would personally look forward to driving vs. any non-GT 911.
I am not a bucket fan on the street but buckets in a T make no less sense than buckets in a GT3 right?

As far as the GT4, I have driven a couple and on the street was underwhelmed. It was a marginal improvement over a well specced 981S or GTS. The 991.2 felt better all around. I drove the S and T and liked the T much better.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:34 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

M/T - must have
LWB - must have
RAS. - nice to have

Thank you.
There are several new MT / LWB T’s at the Houston dealerships. Unsure about RAS
Old 07-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

I just cannot get over the door pull straps and wavy rear window glass. I would however love to swap my ventilated seats for buckets.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:09 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by BA73
reading this thread, your car was top of mind, but didnt see your for sale listing anymore. Glad to hear you're keeping it!
It didn't help that he was asking dealer retail for a car that needed a bumper replacement....nobody is going to pay that
Old 07-09-2019, 03:46 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
I am not a bucket fan on the street but buckets in a T make no less sense than buckets in a GT3 right?

As far as the GT4, I have driven a couple and on the street was underwhelmed. It was a marginal improvement over a well specced 981S or GTS. The 991.2 felt better all around. I drove the S and T and liked the T much better.
Interesting. I found the opposite; we owned it alongside the C2S.

Did yours have buckets? It felt so much more responsive than the GT4 with sofas we drove. It is a must-have for the GT4. The GT3 we drove did not have them, but if was another level of alive and even better.

997 buckets in the T would be great, as it would keep the back seats; that is my rationale. If one is going to buy a 2-seat 991, a 991.1 GT3 blows any of these cars out of the water for not much more money. I suppose if you want new, sure, the T with buckets might be an option, but a used $100k T vs a used $110k GT3? The local dealer recently had a PDCC-SPASM 991.1 and the suspension on that car is very good as well, but it is only a $65-75k car, vs a T at nearly $100k. To me, it seems like a marketing exercise compared to, as PFBZ said above, the C2S as the same car but with more power and better brakes for the same money.

That being said, T prices are dropping now that the novelty has worn off and they will probably fall back to earth, at which point they make more sense, in line or slightly below C2S pricing. There are 110 used ones for sale, about 85 new ones as well right now. We all know what happened to GT4 pricing when those numbers became available used. There is nothing wrong with the car: it is a great car, but not worth any sort of premium IMO, especially in the numbers produced. We aren't talking 997 Sport Classic here.

Quick Reply: I just drove a Carrera T and Carrera S back to back. I have questions...