991.2 roof rattle help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 11:38 AM
BugsyT
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 991.2 roof rattle help!!

Hello, new member here
I have a 2019 Carrera T that I absolutely love. I have around 3,600 miles and I daily it but there is a rattle that is driving me crazy. It appears to be under the passenger side sun visor, I’m not sure if it’s in the headliner or if there are any clips in there or anything. The rattle/buzz noise can be heard when I drive over uneven pavement or when I hit a bump. The dealership has checked it out twice and both times decided it was the Clip that holds the sun visor and allows you to unclip to cover the side window from sun. If anyone has had experience with this please let me know as it will help a lot. Thanks
Old 07-02-2019, 01:13 PM
myrr
Pro

Received 312 Likes on 154 Posts

Same noise here - I was thinking it might be coming from the A pillar...
Old 07-02-2019, 05:49 PM
gulshan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Such issues are easy to find/fix with a person in the passenger seat. You drive and focus on creating the rattle while your helper tries to locate the source and see's if it can be eliminated by pressing on the source or unclip move visor and things like that..
Old 07-02-2019, 11:02 PM
BugsyT
AutoX

Originally Posted by myrr
Same noise here - I was thinking it might be coming from the A pillar...

I’m pretty sure mine is coming from the headliner. I think I could hear it very faintly by knocking on the headliner in the middle of where the sun visor should be (move it out of the way ). But still not sure yet
Old 07-02-2019, 11:03 PM
BugsyT
AutoX

Originally Posted by gulshan
Such issues are easy to find/fix with a person in the passenger seat. You drive and focus on creating the rattle while your helper tries to locate the source and see's if it can be eliminated by pressing on the source or unclip move visor and things like that..
Yes great idea thanks. The hardest part is finding someone as **** as me to help !
Old 09-10-2019, 11:44 PM
victorc31
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have something similar but when i lean my head over the center console then I hear it from the drivers side, its strange, sometimes its there and sometimes not, i havent looked too hard yet. Have you found anything?
Old 09-11-2019, 12:03 AM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

One idea to try... Download a frequency generator app on your phone and then play it through the car stereo at high volume. I did this and was able to track down a couple of annoying rattles.

Some rattles are only easy to produce with certain engine RPM's- that's where you need someone you trust to drive the car while you sit in the passenger seat or in the back
Old 09-11-2019, 12:24 AM
victorc31
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I think mine might be the glass roof. I’ll pop it open next time i hear it and if it goes away i’ll try that felt tape from the roof rattle thread
Old 09-11-2019, 01:01 AM
Dany Kim
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Had the same rattle, somewhere behind the sun visor on the driver’s side. As mentioned above, I first thought it came from the clips that holds the sun visor when not in use (changed it with new but no luck). Later, I found it to be the sun visor itself. The sun visor’s mirror and the mirror cover seems to be the issue. Put the sun visor down and try tapping on each sides. I’ve put felt tape on the side of the mirror cover and the mirror where there is any contact with other parts. Looks ugly but rattle gone and I rarely use these sun visors anyway.
Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
BugsyT (09-13-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 07:12 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 46 Posts

19k miles on my T rattle free - definitly not normal.
The following users liked this post:
BugsyT (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 08:21 PM
BugsyT
AutoX

Originally Posted by Dany Kim
Had the same rattle, somewhere behind the sun visor on the driver’s side. As mentioned above, I first thought it came from the clips that holds the sun visor when not in use (changed it with new but no luck). Later, I found it to be the sun visor itself. The sun visor’s mirror and the mirror cover seems to be the issue. Put the sun visor down and try tapping on each sides. I’ve put felt tape on the side of the mirror cover and the mirror where there is any contact with other parts. Looks ugly but rattle gone and I rarely use these sun visors anyway.
Hope this helps.
Yea I’ll go ahead and try that as it seems we have had the same experience. I rather not have felt tape there though... maybe dealer can replace it. I just need to make sure or see if that is indeed the problem.
Thanks !!
Old 09-13-2019, 08:22 PM
BugsyT
AutoX

Originally Posted by fueledbymetal
19k miles on my T rattle free - definitly not normal.
Ugh I wish !
Found the rattle at 500 miles. Now at 4100
Old 09-13-2019, 08:22 PM
BugsyT
AutoX

Originally Posted by victorc31
I think mine might be the glass roof. I’ll pop it open next time i hear it and if it goes away i’ll try that felt tape from the roof rattle thread
Ooh maybe. But no glass no roof here. Good luck though !
Old 09-13-2019, 08:24 PM
BugsyT
AutoX

Originally Posted by victorc31

Ah. Great idea to track loose panel rattles and such. I’ll try but I’m not sure it will help as it only occurs when I hit slight bumps in the road
thanks though !!
Old 09-13-2019, 11:54 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by BugsyT

Ah. Great idea to track loose panel rattles and such. I’ll try but I’m not sure it will help as it only occurs when I hit slight bumps in the road
thanks though !!
You know you can quote other's posts in one post of your own, right?

Quick Reply: 991.2 roof rattle help!!