Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3500+ mile road trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 12:22 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Beautiful pics. I live in NH and will be doing a bay of Fundi trip in 3 weeks. Starting to assemble my stuff. After reading a few of these posts I think I will pick up a tired plug kit for flats. Also bringing bug remover and
glass cleaner.

I think I will start with the drive in Acadia like you recommend. I have to research that a little. Should be nice first leg.

Thanks for the ideas. I think will use your itinerary as an outline for my drive.

CB.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:28 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for posting- what a fun trip!
I love Acadia Park- we would go all the time when we lived in Andover, MA.
You have to try blueberry pie in the summer time in any diner/cafe around Acadia.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:22 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
Thats awesome.

what was your plan for any flats? That is usually my concern on road trips, especially going to canada.

also how many miles/hours per day did you do?

I am in NJ, I have done a week long road trip north but this would be awesome.
The plan for flats is a plug kit and a lot of hope!!! I do find myself checking tire pressures far more than normal. So far, so good. There is a Porsche dealer in Halifax, so I figured worst case, I could have it flat bedding there.

As for travel per day, the first couple were the longest.... approx. 5-6 hours a day, which left us time to see a bit of the area before the next stretch. We toured Acadia Park the morning of day 2 before setting off to Hopewell Cape.,.. and then Hopewell Rocks on day 3 before heading off to Mabou. The pace seemed like a good mix of seeing stuff and *** time in the car. The drive times were significantly shorter after that.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:29 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Wow, what a trip. Keep the pics coming. Enjoy and have a safe trip. You have one of my favorite cars on these forums.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:40 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GKGEIGER
Several years ago my wife and I rode our BMW motorcycle from OH. to Bar Harbor and took the high speed ferry (no longer there I think) to Nova Scotia. We wanted to see all the light houses. Well, after many we got a little bored and just decided to see all of the country. Cabot Trail was a high light. I remember stopping at a B&B for the night, we asked the lady that ran it where we could find a Laundromat, she said just leave you stuff with me and I'll do it. When we return that evening our cloths were clean and folded on our bed. The bay of Fundy was amazing since we saw it at high tide and low tide. As a long time boater it was amazing to see sail boats sitting on the bottom with no water around them. One of the better MC trips of many we have taken. Now we are tripping in our 911 Cab.
I agree, the people are super friendly everywhere we have gone. Not sure if that is because we are a bit more accustomed to the "could care less" customer service of the Northeast or what, but they seem to go out of their way to help in any way they can.

Agree, the boats sitting in a harbor on the ocean floor in the Bay of Fundy without water around them at low tide is very odd indeed.

And as for lighthouses....we have certainly seen a bunch. Here are a few....

Neil's Harbor, on the Cabot Trail

The Louisbourg Lighthouse, Louisbourg Nova Scotia (on the site of Canada's first lighthouse)

Peggy's Cove Lighthouse, Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia

Old 06-30-2019, 09:43 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cpbmd
Beautiful pics. I live in NH and will be doing a bay of Fundi trip in 3 weeks. Starting to assemble my stuff. After reading a few of these posts I think I will pick up a tired plug kit for flats. Also bringing bug remover and glass cleaner.
Oddly enough, we have not really experienced much bug kill. The car is pretty dirty, but its more the *** end that gets dirty, the front has stayed pretty much bug free, which surprised me.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:45 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NJ991
You have one of my favorite cars on these forums.
Thanks. I think its the painted Sport Technos in conjunction with the silver targa bar that most people (me included) seem to like best about it. I have black Carrera S wheels for the winter, and it certainly does not have the same look as with the Sport Technos in the summer.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:27 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
My travel style, vs another option....

They don't know what they are missing. (But they do tend to clog up the roads in summer.)
Old 06-30-2019, 10:31 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
Thats awesome.

what was your plan for any flats? That is usually my concern on road trips, especially going to canada.

also how many miles/hours per day did you do?

I am in NJ, I have done a week long road trip north but this would be awesome.
Here's what I did, since any drive from home means hours away from any service help. I give up about half the frunk space, but feel much more confident.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:24 PM
hpapad01
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It looks fantastic and kudos to your wife for making it happen as well! My response is more related to the time and mileage you are putting on your 911 and just wanted to follow up with this link below:

The guy is taking a 12 month tour around the world with his T. Currently he is near the Arctic Circle....
Old 07-02-2019, 03:06 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

I did an almost identical trip 5 years ago. Good stuff and glad you had fun!
Old 07-02-2019, 03:14 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
The plan for flats is a plug kit and a lot of hope!!! I do find myself checking tire pressures far more than normal. So far, so good. There is a Porsche dealer in Halifax, so I figured worst case, I could have it flat bedding there.

As for travel per day, the first couple were the longest.... approx. 5-6 hours a day, which left us time to see a bit of the area before the next stretch. We toured Acadia Park the morning of day 2 before setting off to Hopewell Cape.,.. and then Hopewell Rocks on day 3 before heading off to Mabou. The pace seemed like a good mix of seeing stuff and *** time in the car. The drive times were significantly shorter after that.
Thanks, I carry those messy plug kits too but hope for the best, I have done several 7hrs drives.
but I may do this trip in a different vehicle, its on my list
Old 07-04-2019, 10:48 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Here are a few pics from PEI. We really enjoyed the island.
Attached Images     
The following users liked this post:
poorshoeless (07-04-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 12:19 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

A few fellow Porsche cars I spotted along the way...

This Boxster at our hotel in Bar Harbor....

This Cayman at Hopewell Rocks...

And this 911 Cab at the LL Bean store in Freeport Maine.....

I saw a few more P-cars along the way, but was not able to capture pics.

Quick Reply: 3500+ mile road trip