Sponsored by:

991.2 COBB owners feedback

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 09:23 PM
BlackCS
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Im not a tuner. But from the looks of the first log, you never once went over 3K rpm. That won't help.

Unless this changed. It was my understanding that you want to log a full pull in whatever gear is closest to 1:1 ratio. Typically thats 4th or 5th gear from 2K to redline (Porsche might be different). Start log in 4/5th at 2-3K and hold the pedal down to the floor until you hit redline (dont smack it). STOP logging. That typically was how I did my logs for tuners to review after the fact.
I have one thats 10mbit but its to big to upload over-here
. And still no response from cobb, great start to a week.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:23 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Yep total amateur. How many people have problems with the Cobb tune? 100's?
It sure is... Look.. Hydra is just a local joint who gets business from word of mouth. I've seen multiple posts that look identical to your which praised Hydra. To me, it almost looks scripted. It's probably just me.

With the Cobb, one can have their tuned changed at any time by nearly any tuner. Flexibility.
With the Cobb, one can monitor several different gauges at once with a handheld device.
With the Cobb, one can log all the information necessary and review them on their computer.
With the Cobb, one can load and carry dozens of different maps and switch them up on the fly.. At the gas station or in the driveway.
... and so on. This is just with the Porsche stuff. On other platforms like Nissan, BMW, Mazda you can do way more than all that.

I'm sure your Hydra tune is nice for Florida locals, but it's hardly convenient for anyone else outside the state or city they're located in. The OTS maps are generic plug and play. People are running different quality fuels in CA/AZ/TX vs fuel on the east coast.. The qualities are drastically different. Some people are stock pushing the OTS maps, some have cat deletes, some have headers, some have everything.. This is going to happen when you run a generic map and everyone has a mixed bag of mods/fuel/weather.

Cobb AP is king until another company does what they do but better.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:55 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
It sure is... Look.. Hydra is just a local joint who gets business from word of mouth. I've seen multiple posts that look identical to your which praised Hydra. To me, it almost looks scripted. It's probably just me.

With the Cobb, one can have their tuned changed at any time by nearly any tuner. Flexibility.
With the Cobb, one can monitor several different gauges at once with a handheld device.
With the Cobb, one can log all the information necessary and review them on their computer.
With the Cobb, one can load and carry dozens of different maps and switch them up on the fly.. At the gas station or in the driveway.
... and so on. This is just with the Porsche stuff. On other platforms like Nissan, BMW, Mazda you can do way more than all that.

I'm sure your Hydra tune is nice for Florida locals, but it's hardly convenient for anyone else outside the state or city they're located in. The OTS maps are generic plug and play. People are running different quality fuels in CA/AZ/TX vs fuel on the east coast.. The qualities are drastically different. Some people are stock pushing the OTS maps, some have cat deletes, some have headers, some have everything.. This is going to happen when you run a generic map and everyone has a mixed bag of mods/fuel/weather.

The Cobb AP is in fact a great platform. I would agree the AP offers the most flexibility. And you are spot on about gas quality and mods. But people should not be buying this to run OTS maps. And I think a great many here are buying it for the OTS maps only. Look how many haven't even logged their OTS maps. Crazy! To me, if you got 100k for a Porsche. You can afford the cost for a protune AND the AP for its features if you are into that.

Im holding out for BootMod3 will come to Porsche. They figured out how to make your iphone an access port and it trumps the AP in every way IMO. Its just not out for Porsche yet. = (
Old 06-26-2019, 12:01 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCS
I have one thats 10mbit but its to big to upload over-here
. And still no response from cobb, great start to a week.
You could always look at Cobb site and see if they have a protuner listed in your area to work with? That or remove it all together man. I personally dont have any faith in Cobbs TUNES. The product is great. The OTS maps... TO ME... are a ticking time bomb. No thank you.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:01 PM
Hydra Motor Works
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCS
I had a Cobb tune installed last week, and since then I've been having issues, I'm curious, what's the typical response time with Cobb support, it seems like back-and-forth emails are going at snails pace. Those of you guys that have cobb installed on a base or T model, can you post some of your data logs?. Right off the bat, the AP pulled a uc401 pdk code, the pdk was really twitchy at low speeds, I performed the pdk reset procedure, seems to help, until you switch maps and once again back to the lurching low speed shifts. Stage 2 map is causing the pdk to slip at higher rpm's, that was really disconcerting. My biggest concern is cylinder timing correction, although I'm a novice at this at best, the AP is registering up to -6 correction on certain cylinders. At first I thought it was bad gas (shell), I purchased some 110 octane race gas, mixed in 1.5 gallons to a full tank, same timing pull. Switched between different maps, pretty much same corrections, although I will have to note that on the stock map, the AP is showing up to -3.9 degree correction. I guess my biggest gripe is lack of communication with Cobb support, if these issues persist, I'l probably call the 30day return clause, I'm not willing to shell out another $1200 for a pro tune, could have gone that route in the first place. I also have fabspeed sport cats installed, I wonder if they have anything to do with my issues.

On a side note, out of all the maps, I actually prefer stage 1 93octane tune, judging by the posted graphs, its close to the stock GTS tune, and on the street, it feels more usable, where as 93octane has more torque early on, which kicks in somewhat abruptly, while the 91octane tune feels closer to factory, with a linear power progression. Anyway, I'm still trying to find a way to map out the datalog, and I would appreciate currently Cobb owners sharing their experience with timing correction.

Cheers.
Sorry to hear about the issues you are having. If there is anything you feel we can do to help, feel free to reach out.

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Do Hydra. Zero point zero problems. Sport cats also. Dyno speaks for itself. Guys are pros at Hydra!!
Thank you so much for the support. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your setup so far.

Originally Posted by Psorcery

Respectfully, we tune cars all over the world and all details are taken into consideration when tuning is performed - ex. fuel quality/type as you mentioned above. If you would like more details about our software and how things work here, the shop number is 561-657-8787. Feel free to give us a call anytime - I would be happy to chat with you!
Old 06-26-2019, 01:25 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Hell yes.

Quick Reply: 991.2 COBB owners feedback