Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LEATHER SEEMS WRINKLED FROM FACTORY

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019 | 05:14 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
Well technically it's from a dead animal (hopefully).

j/k

Old 06-19-2019 | 08:49 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

What you picture is the unique leather pattern. If it varies significantly from the other leather trim pieces, have it replaced. Otherwise, enjoy the real leather (vs vinyl) look.
Old 06-19-2019 | 10:27 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
I'm in the leather business....and suggest you remember that leather is from a live animal, which has wrinkles in it and various grain textures just like you do on your skin. There is nothing wrong with the section, that shows its a natural product. If you want perfection, buy vinyl (which is really a stamped plastic product). The best leathers in the world have graining variations. Replacing it is unwise, you will have a dye lot variance and parts of your car have to be taken down to do so, resulting in the possibility of rattles, etc. I'm quite surprised they would offer to replace it, and imagine if run by Porsche Corporate they would tell you exactly what I am saying and deline to do so.
In the same business on the fashion side and agree totally.
Old 06-19-2019 | 11:29 PM
porsche526
Racer

Originally Posted by drcollie
I'm in the leather business....and suggest you remember that leather is from a live animal, which has wrinkles in it and various grain textures just like you do on your skin. There is nothing wrong with the section, that shows its a natural product. If you want perfection, buy vinyl (which is really a stamped plastic product). The best leathers in the world have graining variations. Replacing it is unwise, you will have a dye lot variance and parts of your car have to be taken down to do so, resulting in the possibility of rattles, etc. I'm quite surprised they would offer to replace it, and imagine if run by Porsche Corporate they would tell you exactly what I am saying and deline to do so.
thank you.....so these wrinkles will not make the leather crack in the future ? my concern was the glove compartment. they could easily remove the door portion and replace it i guess
Old 06-19-2019 | 11:35 PM
minthral
Pro

Looks kinda nice actually. Leather has some character and varies. Imperfection is not a bad thing.

You buy the car like that or it developed?
Old 06-19-2019 | 11:51 PM
porsche526
Racer

Originally Posted by minthral
Looks kinda nice actually. Leather has some character and varies. Imperfection is not a bad thing.

You buy the car like that or it developed?
It was delivered around May 9 to me and honestly didn’t see it till about early June. I guess I didnt notice it. Could not drive it much the first 4 weeks
Old 06-20-2019 | 12:13 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Here in LA, I am sure you would have no problem finding a cosmetologist who would be willing to offer your glove compartment a series of Botox treatments. They'd call it a rejuvenation. Like others have said, I would keep it the way it is.
Old 06-20-2019 | 10:45 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porsche526
thank you.....so these wrinkles will not make the leather crack in the future ? my concern was the glove compartment. they could easily remove the door portion and replace it i guess
Not at all. In the same way the skin on your elbow (which is wrinkled) is not more likely to open up than the skin on the back of your hand.

It's nothing more than skin cell texture from the cow. Perfectly acceptable and some would say desirable because it shows it's real leather, not the fake bonded and bicast stuff that permeates the industry on the cheap side.
Old 06-20-2019 | 12:25 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

My 17 911 S had leather dash and I too had character wrinkles all over it in some parts. My door cards had some too. The worst part is when you create your OWN wrinkles from sitting in it so much. THOSE seem to come quick.
Old 06-20-2019 | 12:31 PM
LexVan
Banned

P
A
T
I
N
A

Quick Reply: LEATHER SEEMS WRINKLED FROM FACTORY