Sponsored by:

Tuned 991.2 GTS vs Huracan 580-2

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 05:03 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Superdog: I sent you a PM with no reply. The weekend is fast approaching... Lets do this..
Originally Posted by NJ991
This weekend would’ve been perfect. The weather is finally clearing. I think superdog is going away, or is away this weekend.
Yeah. Sorry boys. In Bermuda at the moment.

And I dropped off the 458 to get full ppf before I left. It’s there for two weeks. Powder coating the wheels black and tinting the windows too.

To be completely up front, I’m no racer. I like to drive fast, and I’ll enjoy this fun, but I’ll not be racing to win. Just to have some fun.

But again, I can’t stress enough. On every level, the 458 is an experience. The visceral feeling is just incredible. The 911, while wonderful, is not even in the same league.

To the point the 911 is a better car. I could make it a daily. Easy. Not so much for the 458. I’d never dream of it. Doesn’t change the reality that they are not even comparable. Hard to explain properly. But the 458 is a true dream car.

I know people get butt hurt. I’m sorry.

The following users liked this post:
TurboS_GG (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 05:19 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

What app is that and how accurate is it ?
Dragy app, but you physically have to buy the dragy too which is a GPS device. I'd say its pretty accurate. Becoming the standard go to device.

Originally Posted by superdog

And I dropped off the 458 to get full ppf before I left. It’s there for two weeks. Powder coating the wheels black and tinting the windows too.

To be completely up front, I’m no racer. I like to drive fast, and I’ll enjoy this fun, but I’ll not be racing to win. Just to have some fun.

But again, I can’t stress enough. On every level, the 458 is an experience. The visceral feeling is just incredible. The 911, while wonderful, is not even in the same league.

To the point the 911 is a better car. I could make it a daily. Easy. Not so much for the 458. I’d never dream of it. Doesn’t change the reality that they are not even comparable. Hard to explain properly. But the 458 is a true dream car.

Yes, all in good fun... and man you've got 2 very nice rides plus you're on vacay. The Ferrari is a Ferrari and the Porsche is a Porsche. 9 times out of 10 the Ferrari trumps it regardless of what's faster.

Many bruised egos in the car world and it's the same from A-Z. There are egos in the dodge neon srt 4 world too.

I personally wouldnt even care if I got stomped by a civic.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:28 PM
superdog
Racer

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Dragy app, but you physically have to buy the dragy too which is a GPS device. I'd say its pretty accurate. Becoming the standard go to device.

Yes, all in good fun... and man you've got 2 very nice rides plus you're on vacay. The Ferrari is a Ferrari and the Porsche is a Porsche. 9 times out of 10 the Ferrari trumps it regardless of what's faster.

Many bruised egos in the car world and it's the same from A-Z. There are egos in the dodge neon srt 4 world too.

I personally wouldnt even care if I got stomped by a civic.
Thanks brother. I’m similar. In everything (except business), I never cared about winning. I’m just thrilled to be playing the game.

And I feel like the luckiest guy in the world. Enjoying the moment for sure.

If if I had to give up one, it would be a struggle. They are both so different with different pros and cons. And both incredibly amazing. Both dream cars for sure.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:52 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks brother. I’m similar. In everything (except business), I never cared about winning. I’m just thrilled to be playing the game.

And I feel like the luckiest guy in the world. Enjoying the moment for sure.

If if I had to give up one, it would be a struggle. They are both so different with different pros and cons. And both incredibly amazing. Both dream cars for sure.
Amen. I suspect most of us feel the same way.

I have a lot of seat time in a 458 and own a 2016 California T. The Ferrari experience is just different than the 991.1/991.2/GT car experience. Hard to describe. Both are awesome. Just different. Several guys have put the Novitec piggyback ECU on the Cali T and are getting 488 power numbers easily.

With regard to the 2018+ 991.2's, I am curious as to the best "cookbook" to get 991 TTS type power from my 2019 Targa 4 GTS. I never considered the TTS b/c I love the Targa roof so much.

The only thing I have done for my 2019 Targa 4 GTS so far is the Soul Performance sport cats (awesome sound - nice upgrade).

What other mods are necessary to get TTS power? Please list "The CookBook to TTS Power" and if you know any installers in North Texas, please advise. Thanks, guys (and can't wait to see the 458 vs. tuned GTS shootout videos in a few weeks).

SB
Old 06-21-2019, 05:59 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Originally Posted by SB27
Amen. I suspect most of us feel the same way.

I have a lot of seat time in a 458 and own a 2016 California T. The Ferrari experience is just different than the 991.1/991.2/GT car experience. Hard to describe. Both are awesome. Just different. Several guys have put the Novitec piggyback ECU on the Cali T and are getting 488 power numbers easily.

With regard to the 2018+ 991.2's, I am curious as to the best "cookbook" to get 991 TTS type power from my 2019 Targa 4 GTS. I never considered the TTS b/c I love the Targa roof so much.

The only thing I have done for my 2019 Targa 4 GTS so far is the Soul Performance sport cats (awesome sound - nice upgrade).

What other mods are necessary to get TTS power? Please list "The CookBook to TTS Power" and if you know any installers in North Texas, please advise. Thanks, guys (and can't wait to see the 458 vs. tuned GTS shootout videos in a few weeks).

SB
Fairly simple IMO. You've got the cats so all you need are headers and a custom tune.. Cobb has stage 2 tunes but I think that puts you just a hair beneath a TTS.. A protune would match you with a TTS or make you a hair faster. No need for intercoolers or touching the PSE muffler.

There's a member from Texas on here username TXgold who has a bunch of upgrades including larger hybrid turbos. Don't see him posting at all but I'm fairly certain his car really quick.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:13 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 215 Posts

For a stage 2 tune, you need sport cats or cat delete and high flow filter (ie. BMC). Aftermarket headers are not required but good to have. That is my understanding.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:02 AM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Fairly simple IMO. You've got the cats so all you need are headers and a custom tune.. Cobb has stage 2 tunes but I think that puts you just a hair beneath a TTS.. A protune would match you with a TTS or make you a hair faster. No need for intercoolers or touching the PSE muffler.

There's a member from Texas on here username TXgold who has a bunch of upgrades including larger hybrid turbos. Don't see him posting at all but I'm fairly certain his car really quick.
Thanks guys. Appreciate the replies. I agree a high flow air filter is a must.

With regard to the tunes, can you outline the difference b/w:

Stage 1 Tune
Stage 2 Tune
Pro-Tune

Newbie questions, I know, but this would help a bit.

Thanks.
SB
Old 06-28-2019, 08:10 AM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 215 Posts

Just keep me in the loop guys. Camera car is ready to go. That’s funny, I had my Hellcat custom wrapped at Illmatics. DJ is a good guy.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:56 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,126 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by SB27
Thanks guys. Appreciate the replies. I agree a high flow air filter is a must.

With regard to the tunes, can you outline the difference b/w:

Stage 1 Tune
Stage 2 Tune
Pro-Tune

Newbie questions, I know, but this would help a bit.

Thanks.
SB
I am running a pro-tune with great results on the stock filter...a high flow filter wont hurt but I dont think its a must...here is my understanding of the stages with Cobb:

Stage 1: On a completely stock car-expected to pick up between 50-90 whp with just the tune alone (I picked up 93 whp on my carerra T-yes, completely stock running stock cats, air filter, etc)
Stage 2: Recommended to have exhaust mods (sport cats, cat bypass, exhaust, etc) as well as a high flow air filter. Should pick up a few more ponies (not much) but lots of torque as the stage 2 OTS tunes modify the torque tables alot
Pro-Tune: Recommended in general as all OTS tunes are generic and not tailored to the exact car and mods. Each car responds differently based on location, temperature, gas used, etc.

I am currently pro-tuned by BGB performance-car feels great and my only mod so far is the cat bypass. I do plan on re-dynoing and fine tuning further once the temps become a bit cooler in the fall. I will also get a high flow filter, but honestly I dont feel like pulling the bumper off to install it right now and currently per my logs its not impacting performance. Hope this helps,
Old 06-28-2019, 11:02 PM
superdog
Racer

Just keep me in the loop guys. Camera car is ready to go. That’s funny, I had my Hellcat custom wrapped at Illmatics. DJ is a good guy.
I got this pic today. Pick up is Monday. Ppf done. Ceramic just finished. Wheels done. Window tints tomorrow. Crazy holiday week. But then I’m local.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:48 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 215 Posts

Wow Seth. That looks great. It’s like glass! Love black, when it’s clean.
Old 06-28-2019, 11:55 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Only thing I don't get is that some stock Huracans run 10.4 - 10.5 in the 1/4 in good DA's.
I think I read that the OP is at higher elevation / DA, so that would explain the NA V10 suffering more.

The dragy 10.9 1/4 is pretty decent.
Old 06-29-2019, 12:20 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Only thing I don't get is that some stock Huracans run 10.4 - 10.5 in the 1/4 in good DA's.
I think I read that the OP is at higher elevation / DA, so that would explain the NA V10 suffering more.

The dragy 10.9 1/4 is pretty decent.
Yeah that's the drag times dude that runs at or below sea level, uses tire warmers, low fuel, higher octane, fasts for a day or two and uses laxatives on race day to save every gram of weight.. Okay I made up the laxatives part but the rest is true.

Plus his is a 610-4, I've driven one and would say it's a bit quicker than the 580-2. Would be a closer race. The 10.95 run I had was with a very brief lift off the throttle. With DA correction that run is in the 10.6/10.7 range.

Best I've done in a 610-4 Huracan out here is 11.0 flat with minor spin off the line. No spin the 610-4 would be a 10.8/10.9 out here.

PS, I passed you on the 0-60 dragy leaderboard. You have to pass me back.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:13 AM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by polobai
I am running a pro-tune with great results on the stock filter...a high flow filter wont hurt but I dont think its a must...here is my understanding of the stages with Cobb:

Stage 1: On a completely stock car-expected to pick up between 50-90 whp with just the tune alone (I picked up 93 whp on my carerra T-yes, completely stock running stock cats, air filter, etc)
Stage 2: Recommended to have exhaust mods (sport cats, cat bypass, exhaust, etc) as well as a high flow air filter. Should pick up a few more ponies (not much) but lots of torque as the stage 2 OTS tunes modify the torque tables alot
Pro-Tune: Recommended in general as all OTS tunes are generic and not tailored to the exact car and mods. Each car responds differently based on location, temperature, gas used, etc.

I am currently pro-tuned by BGB performance-car feels great and my only mod so far is the cat bypass. I do plan on re-dynoing and fine tuning further once the temps become a bit cooler in the fall. I will also get a high flow filter, but honestly I dont feel like pulling the bumper off to install it right now and currently per my logs its not impacting performance. Hope this helps,
This helps a lot. Thanks.

On a 991.2 Targa 4 GTS I have already installed the Soul Sport Cats. A high flow filter (assume BMC? Is there a better one?) would be next.

I have been really impressed with the power the GTS already puts down stock. Should a stage 2 tune "feel stock" in mapping but just deliver +75-100 RWHP and Torque that would be amazing. Not sure why, still skeptical that these tunes are safe long term.

Thanks again for the info for newbies (i.e. - me) here.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:17 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Yeah that's the drag times dude that runs at or below sea level, uses tire warmers, low fuel, higher octane, fasts for a day or two and uses laxatives on race day to save every gram of weight.. Okay I made up the laxatives part but the rest is true.

Plus his is a 610-4, I've driven one and would say it's a bit quicker than the 580-2. Would be a closer race. The 10.95 run I had was with a very brief lift off the throttle. With DA correction that run is in the 10.6/10.7 range.

Best I've done in a 610-4 Huracan out here is 11.0 flat with minor spin off the line. No spin the 610-4 would be a 10.8/10.9 out here.

PS, I passed you on the 0-60 dragy leaderboard. You have to pass me back.

My bad...Totally forgot about the 610 vs the 580....Makes more sense.

I've not had time to drive / test my car at all in the last two months. Hoping I will soon though. My 0-60 Dragy times are horrible due to so much spinning. The 997.2's just don't launch as well as the 991 series PDK's like yours. On track with good traction, I'm positive I can get some high 2's. Looking forward to Sept. for the Street Car Takeover here so I can get some new 1/4 ET's with my tune. Hoping for 10.3-10.5 given the trap speeds I've seen on my Dragy with just this OTS tune / Exhaust (no other mods).

Quick Reply: Tuned 991.2 GTS vs Huracan 580-2