Back Seat Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 11:54 PM
RCRob
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back Seat Rattle

Rear Seat Back Rest Handle Screw

I tracked down another rattle yesterday and this was a tough one to find (This one was bizarre). A screw came loose in one of the rear backrest. I had to remove the seat cover to access the screw. It’s been dinging around in there every since I got her and it took me over a year to track it down. It sounded like a screw being shaken in a jar. The backrest is an aluminum casting and there’s a cavity where the screw goes so it’s like ringing a bell.

I used a little blue Locktite when reinstalling the screw.

Last edited by RCRob; 06-09-2019 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 06-09-2019, 01:06 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by RCRob
Rear Seat Back Rest Handle ScrewI tracked down another rattle yesterday and this was a tough one to find (This one was bizarre). A screw came loose in one of the rear backrest. I had to remove the seat cover to access it. It’s been dinging around in there every since I got her and it took me over a year to track it down. It sounded like a screw in a jar being rattled.
Nice job. I found a passenger door rattle that I thought was coming from the sunroof. Hard to find the little gremlin noises. Now I need to fix my door and figure out where my dash rattle is coming from.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:56 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for the report! Always good to find the cause of these things and they are frequently unobvious.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:29 PM
Jasjeet Suri
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same issue i think. When i knock the rear driver side backrest, it sounds like a ball bearing knocking around in the seat. How do i take it apart, how did you get the leather off? And did you find the screw around the edge or deeper inside the seat?
Old 11-24-2019, 10:38 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
Nice job. I found a passenger door rattle that I thought was coming from the sunroof. Hard to find the little gremlin noises. Now I need to fix my door and figure out where my dash rattle is coming from.
mine was the center channel speaker grille and the right window defrost grill. Dealer worked on it many time and ended up using some Mercedes Benz felt. He said that their felt is better than what Porsche has. After quite a few return trips, it was sorted out. I drove around and shot some vids while pressing on the various grilles to help the tech diagnose the issue.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:07 AM
Jasjeet Suri
Intermediate

Any help removing the leather? One side of the rear seat handle is loose, so I’m sure the screw has fallen out for it. I just don’t know how to take the seat apart
Old 12-18-2019, 09:48 AM
Jasjeet Suri
Intermediate

Section WM 726319 of the 991 service manual helped me. You pull off the lever used to release the folding backrest. Then there is a torx screw to undo. Then i pulled off the plastic that houses the locking mechanism. Then I used a flat head screw driver to pry out the leather, you have to give it some force, started prying where the locking mechanism is. The screw then rolled out as I folded the backrest down. I didn't replace the screw. This was the loudest rattle in the car and was doing my head in!! Now for one more rattle to fix somewhere in the front dash for perfection.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:31 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by RCRob
Rear Seat Back Rest Handle Screw

I tracked down another rattle yesterday and this was a tough one to find (This one was bizarre). A screw came loose in one of the rear backrest. I had to remove the seat cover to access the screw. It’s been dinging around in there every since I got her and it took me over a year to track it down. It sounded like a screw being shaken in a jar. The backrest is an aluminum casting and there’s a cavity where the screw goes so it’s like ringing a bell.

I used a little blue Locktite when reinstalling the screw.

just had this exact Same thing happen to me!!! Such a pain!!! The hardest part was removing the center plastic trim to remove the back rest. Looks like you left them in the car. Way easier if you take em out.

Old 08-19-2020, 06:03 PM
mic_crispy
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 163 Posts

If you're anything like me, that was probably the most satisfying drive post-fix.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:06 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,021 Likes on 607 Posts

Originally Posted by mic_crispy
If you're anything like me, that was probably the most satisfying drive post-fix.
LOL SO SATISFYING you have no idea.
The following users liked this post:
Jasjeet Suri (08-20-2020)
Old 04-23-2022, 11:55 AM
rmoudry
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This appears to be a fairly old thread, but can anyone describe just how you pry off the plastic cover on the locking mechanism w/o breaking it. My top latch is broken and I just need to get under the cover to replace it. Thanks

Quick Reply: Back Seat Rattle