Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uniden R7

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 09:31 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't know much about the latest detectors but for those that have the Valentine, I have been updating my V1 over past several years and using a third party V1 app which lets you customize settings.
Does a great job of ignoring the false alarms from car lane sensors etc.
It also incorporates GPS so it eliminates known false positives from stationary sources after you drive the same route like 3 times or something like that. It can link to your Apple Watch if you use them.
I also use Waze as well.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:32 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

App is V1 Driver. Sorry did not include name in prior post.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:38 AM
SpeedZ
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I use my R7 + Waze through carplay and it works great. Ended up mounting my R7 power cable through the mirror tap.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:19 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

V1 and waze.....
Old 06-10-2019, 02:24 PM
loneregister
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

Does the R7 use the same mount as the R3? i.e. can I use the same hardware that I use currently on my mirror to swap them out. (Blendmount)
Old 06-10-2019, 05:04 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,200 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by loneregister
Does the R7 use the same mount as the R3? i.e. can I use the same hardware that I use currently on my mirror to swap them out. (Blendmount)

Yes and no. Mounts are different. R3 mount can be used on R7, but it is not a perfect fit and R3 mount will scratch the R7 detector. Blendmount is working on a new mount for the R7, but not sure if it is out yet or not.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:13 PM
P4H
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Yes and no. Mounts are different. R3 mount can be used on R7, but it is not a perfect fit and R3 mount will scratch the R7 detector. Blendmount is working on a new mount for the R7, but not sure if it is out yet or not.
I played with multiple mounting options for the R7. The Radenso XP visor mount on the passenger side coupled with mirror tap power worked best for me.
That setup does not block my view, the mute button is easy to reach and it is simple to take it down and hide if I’m worried about someone breaking in to steal it while parked.

By the way, I was northbound on 680 in San Ramon yesterday afternoon and the R7 signaled Ka band about 2 miles from where the cop was hiding. Pretty awesome!
Old 07-05-2019, 03:00 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Just got the R7 and tried it out on a recent road trip. It saved me twice from stationary Ka with really remarkable range - and both times Waze gave me no warning. The directional arrows work quite well (as well as the V1 I used back in the day) although a couple times I think it reversed if a radar source bounced off a big rig behind me. It does fire a lot of K band false alarms, though.

I stuck a couple metal plates on the bottom and placed it on the dash atop this magnetic dash mount:
Amazon Amazon
. That only worked out until I accelerated hard... I'll need to work out something better that still lets me remove it easily.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:33 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
Just got the R7 and tried it out on a recent road trip. It saved me twice from stationary Ka with really remarkable range - and both times Waze gave me no warning. The directional arrows work quite well (as well as the V1 I used back in the day) although a couple times I think it reversed if a radar source bounced off a big rig behind me. It does fire a lot of K band false alarms, though.

I stuck a couple metal plates on the bottom and placed it on the dash atop this magnetic dash mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R5FCTS4. That only worked out until I accelerated hard... I'll need to work out something better that still lets me remove it easily.
I have turned off X and K bands on my Max 360. The LEOs in my area use KA.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:18 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Default R7

I have the r3 and the best mount ever was the packaged 2 cup suction mount just replace suction cups with bed bath and beyond cups (Matt Farah mod). I know the 7 is larger but did you try the equivalent stock mount. I ask because I'm considering this new unit. 24.196-24.202 are constant false from Honda bsm.
I'll call them hondas till I die. Honda bsm is actually a violation of FCC laws. According to the radar forums...
Old 07-06-2019, 04:12 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Just got the R7 and tried it out on a recent road trip. It saved me twice from stationary Ka with really remarkable range - and both times Waze gave me no warning.
I hadn't driven with Waze for a couple of years, but just came back from a ~2000 mile road trip yesterday. As usual my V1 was a lifesaver or at least a license saver, but Waze is more or less useless these days for some reason. Nobody seems to report cops anymore.

Waze used to be a great asset, but mostly what you get now is a brightly-animated speed limit sign icon that flashes various colors depending on how far over the limit you're going. Not sure if I'll bother using it in the future.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:28 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

Here in the Northeast US, Waze still seems to have a very active user base. Beyond just notifications for police, people are pretty active with pothole, roadkill, stopped car, construction, etc. I actually find those warnings as useful as for police as that’s when traffic tends to slam on the brakes.

Ive been using the R3 since last Fall and have been really happy with it. I was very slow to tweak all the settings (per the recommendations on the site listed above), but once I did, it greatly reduced the noise coming from it. My next step will be to completely disable the Honda detector setting as it seems like no police are using that freq where I drive and I don’t usually drive that much faster than normal traffic flow that I’m super worried anyway. (ironically, I drive faster in the Macan than the 911 as people ignore the Macan, but start tailgating me immediately in the 911. that’s a well covered phenomenon, and off topic for this thread, but still interesting to me)
Old 07-06-2019, 02:20 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboCarrera
I have the r3 and the best mount ever was the packaged 2 cup suction mount just replace suction cups with bed bath and beyond cups (Matt Farah mod). I know the 7 is larger but did you try the equivalent stock mount. I ask because I'm considering this new unit. 24.196-24.202 are constant false from Honda bsm.
I'll call them hondas till I die. Honda bsm is actually a violation of FCC laws. According to the radar forums...
I didn't even try the suction cup mounts included with the R7. When I'm on a long road trip I stop a lot - rest areas, restaurants, convenience stores, not to mention every single scenic viewpoint. I like to remove valuable items from view every time I park, and fiddling with suction cups wouldn't work out for me. Rather than assuming they won't work for me, I should actually take a look at them and see if they have a quick release that leaves the suction cups mounted. The dual suction cup includes some foam tape and that caused me to ignore it.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:25 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

Blendmount is fantastic fwiw.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:53 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 582 Likes on 372 Posts

I didn't even try the suction cup mounts included with the R7. When I'm on a long road trip I stop a lot - rest areas, restaurants, convenience stores, not to mention every single scenic viewpoint. I like to remove valuable items from view every time I park, and fiddling with suction cups wouldn't work out for me. Rather than assuming they won't work for me, I should actually take a look at them and see if they have a quick release that leaves the suction cups mounted. The dual suction cup includes some foam tape and that caused me to ignore it.
The large single suction cup that is supplied with the detector works fine for me. I remove the detector and leave it in the passenger footwell storage net when I leave the car. The suction cup remains on the windshield.

Quick Reply: Uniden R7