Sponsored by:

Minor rear end incident after 6 days of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 08:50 PM
sketchy00
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor rear end incident after 6 days of ownership

Hey everyone. Looking for a little advice. Picked up a new (to me) CPO 2017 991.2, and love it so far. Was sitting at a stop light and the guy behind me in an F250 who was also stopped lett his foot off the brake trying to grab something that fell on his floor, and bumped the back. Hard to capture in a photo, but it basically creased a bit of the bumper, and put two dents where the bolts for the license plate on his truck were. I'm having the insurance assessor come out Monday to look at it. I know it is basically their charter to minimize the scope of the damage (and therefore, the payment) Wondering if anyone has any advice for when I deal with him, and the shop(s) to get an estimate. Two other times in my life I've dealt with *little* issues like this lead to the whole panel needing to be repainted, and nothing ever quite matching. Should I also insist on a paint correction/detail on the rest of the vehicle to increase the odds of matching? I'm not sure how they un-crease material which sort of seems to be some type of rubberized plastic.

Would appreciate any advice along the way.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:14 PM
MikeL31
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts

i would have the adjuster come to the body shop and not your house. i would also have the body shop remove the bumper before hand and check for anything broken or damaged behind the bumper also. the airbox is right behind there and its all made of plastic. insurance companies will try to low ball you, body shops know how to deal with insurance companies and are much more efficient in getting the most $$ out of them.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:41 PM
tamahal
4th Gear

My question would be, once you file a claim wouldn't that show up on the carfax and do you want that??
Old 05-31-2019, 09:56 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tamahal
My question would be, once you file a claim wouldn't that show up on the carfax and do you want that??
No one can honestly answer the carfax question. A good friend of mine simply took his vehicle in for an estimate only for minor front and rear damages to his vehicle from two separate incidents, no insurance claim filed, he never made the repairs or ever reported the incident. He ran a carfax report 3 months later and damage to both the front and rear was now showing on this report, date showing was same as estimate from shop that did such estimate Body Shop says they have no idea how or why it would show up.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:59 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Bumper should be removed, fixed and sprayed again.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:27 PM
jsimon777
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

My car had someone vandalized the rear bumper. They used a key and put an X in it.

I documented everything, then have the bumper repaired and re-sprayed. You would never be able to tell anything happened.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:30 PM
sketchy00
AutoX

Thanks for the input so far fellas. Yeah, I knew about the inconsistencies of Carfax, and was initially just focused on getting this fixed the right way. The assembly back there is all a bit of a mystery to me still, so that is why I wanted to reach out.

When I felt the tap, I just thought 'you gotta be kidding me...'
Old 05-31-2019, 11:31 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

I had my 911/50th about a month while living on base in Stuttgart, Germany when the folks across the parking lot in our housing area backed into me. I had the bumper replaced and kept the minimally damaged one and turned it into the center piece of my Porsche coffee room upstairs. There is always a bright side. It think the cost was about $3500 total for the other folks' insurance company.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:02 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by sketchy00
Thanks for the input so far fellas. Yeah, I knew about the inconsistencies of Carfax, and was initially just focused on getting this fixed the right way. The assembly back there is all a bit of a mystery to me still, so that is why I wanted to reach out.

When I felt the tap, I just thought 'you gotta be kidding me...'
What does the hitter want to do? Does he want to use his insurance company? I would get press to get it replaced either way, and when you sell it in the future save a link to this thread in your email to show potential buyers what happened and if Carfax picks it up you can show them what took place.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:31 AM
sketchy00
AutoX

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
What does the hitter want to do? Does he want to use his insurance company? I would get press to get it replaced either way, and when you sell it in the future save a link to this thread in your email to show potential buyers what happened and if Carfax picks it up you can show them what took place.
He was just agreeable to just get things taken care of. He felt bad, and a bit embarrassed. His insurance company has already been notified.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:38 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Very sorry to hear your bad luck.

Yes, first get the bumper panel removed to check for hidden damage. And find the best high-end body shop, with experience with current Porsche paints. Their advice should be helpful in making your decisions on what to do.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:05 AM
sketchy00
AutoX

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Very sorry to hear your bad luck.

Yes, first get the bumper panel removed to check for hidden damage. And find the best high-end body shop, with experience with current Porsche paints. Their advice should be helpful in making your decisions on what to do.
Yeah, I was actually sort of encouraged when I spoke with the assessor over the phone to schedule an appointment. He already pointed me to a location that does a lot of high-end vehicles that a few of the dealerships source through. He said if he had one, he'd take it there (that if you see the facility, you'd see why), and that they usually come in within a price that they cover. We'll see on Monday when he gives it a look.

Thanks for your input!
Old 06-01-2019, 11:23 AM
myrr
Pro

Received 309 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
I had my 911/50th about a month while living on base in Stuttgart, Germany when the folks across the parking lot in our housing area backed into me. I had the bumper replaced and kept the minimally damaged one and turned it into the center piece of my Porsche coffee room upstairs. There is always a bright side. It think the cost was about $3500 total for the other folks' insurance company.
Great idea! And good advice here all around.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:08 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Its just cosmetic bumper cover plastic damage. You can't fix plastic damage like that so don't even have that conversation. Get a reputable shop to order new bumper then paint it (off the car and no blending). Replace it and you'll be good to go.

Do NOT get a sketchy shop to take stuff apart looking for 'hidden damage.' Before you know it, they will be charging thousands for unnecessary work and will cause more problems.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:41 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
Its just cosmetic bumper cover plastic damage. You can't fix plastic damage like that so don't even have that conversation. Get a reputable shop to order new bumper then paint it (off the car and no blending). Replace it and you'll be good to go.

Do NOT get a sketchy shop to take stuff apart looking for 'hidden damage.' Before you know it, they will be charging thousands for unnecessary work and will cause more problems.
YES! I had a Porsche dealership handle it all. They replaced a few of the parking sensors as well. My taillights were undamaged and no damage inside the structure. Insist on a Porsche certified body shop or dealership.

Quick Reply: Minor rear end incident after 6 days of ownership