Potential new 991 owner... some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 11:04 PM
FiveTwoFifty
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Potential new 991 owner... some questions

Hi everyone,

I'm starting to seriously consider leasing a 991, after having been mostly an SUV person the past few years. I was initially looking at the Cayenne--and still do love the car! But after some reflection on what I want for in a car (while driving the 110 in Los Angeles and doing mostly city + some mild highway driving), I think the 991 might be a great "experiment." I've mainly had BMWs and am now driving a 2018 X5 (I've also had a few Audis) so this would be my first Porsche.

The Cayenne... I've watched a TON of YouTube videos and done a bunch of research. I've also driven it a few times and think it is miles ahead of my X5 in terms of handling (and looks). I've only driven at 991 once (I believe it was a 2018 911, "base" model) and thought it was fantastic. But haven't really driven once since I began thinking about it a bit more seriously.

Anyway, I don't have "specific" questions just yet but wanted to get y'alls feedback on this possible switch. Again, I'd be mainly doing city driving... and I love the windiness of the 110 (and think it would be amazing in a coupe rather than an SUV). Has anyone made a similar switch and had regrets... or just never looked back and are totally converted? My main complaint with my current setup is the lack of sportiness - specifically handling in general. I thought the solution would be to solve this with a sportier SUV but am thinking maybe just go wild and go for the coupe. (Currently married but no kids; convenience not a huge factor.)

I'm also looking ahead at the 2020s coming out. So far, I don't see mention of the non-S Carrera but assume that will be announced later. I'm thinking it may be a better lease deal to get in on a 2019, as the new one is coming out. I'm a bit of a techie so know I'll be sacrificing some of the new goodies on the older model. But it still has CarPlay which is mainly what I use for all things nav. Any thoughts on going for the "older" model? Would it be a mistake for a first time Carrera owner?

Would love your thoughts! And perhaps a kick in the rear to just go for it?
Old 05-28-2019, 11:19 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 665 Posts

Some general thoughts:

A more sporty SUV could be more fun, but is still an SUV (for good and bad). Moving to a car means giving up size, space, and ride height, all perhaps desirable in traffic but not on twisty roads.

Among true sports cars, the 911 has a distinct driving feel. I am still in love with this after my first drive in one more than 30 years ago, and after also owning other sports cars.

To decide if you like this, I suggest renting one for at least a few days, and try it for both fun driving and your normal commute.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:43 PM
FiveTwoFifty
Intermediate

Thank you for the thoughts! I didn't even consider the rental idea, that is fantastic. Looking online at prices and they don't seem too bad at all. Fantastic recommendation!
Old 05-29-2019, 12:30 AM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 250 Posts

Own a 911 and have driven many Cayennes. They are a great SUV but they are not 911’s. If you need the utility then go with an SUV. You should also drive a Macan GTS or Turbo, much more sporty than a Cayenne and much more space than a 911. However if you can live with the sports car the get a Carrera. First world problems :-)
Old 05-29-2019, 12:38 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

You need a kick? Here you have it - go for it, you would not regret.
On more serious and prosaic note, just go test drive few models before you even go rent one. It may quickly answer some of your questions.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:11 AM
FiveTwoFifty
Intermediate

Thanks all! First world problems indeed. Did consider the Macao briefly but just not a fan of the aesthetics as much as I am with the Cayenne and 911.

Any thoughts on the model changes in the upcoming year?

And hah, thanks for the kick.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:29 AM
P4H
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend booking a session at the Porsche experience center which is close to you.

It’s a great way to get a feel for what the car is capable of and should provide the kick you need to go for it!
Old 05-29-2019, 08:22 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 444 Likes on 317 Posts

A 911 is a different beast. I agree with above rent one or perhaps even try the Porsche program where you can switch between an SUV and 911. For a new SUV, I would buy the upcoming Bronco as it is the best looking thing to be released in a long time and offers a MT. I think Jeep also makes a better SUV than the Germans. LandRover comes in 3rd.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:56 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 139 Posts

You are in LA, apparently.. Call the Porsche experience center number, book a visit to your PECLA, and a few rides - it is in Carson (15 min from LAX). 2-3 laps in a 911S, maybe a Cayman, a GT3RS just for fun, a turbo S, a panamera, and Cayenne, etc... Most fun you'll have all year... Each ride is about $100-130 and a definite eye opener. Then decide which one you liked most and go test drive for free at a dealer ;-)

I did that 2 weeks ago again for my bday and invited 3 friends... Still grinning ear to ear. Except now my 991.1 feels like a donkey cart vs the GT3RS on cup2 tires. The simulators are fun as hell too ! Great restaurant too... not expensive overall, even by Porsche standards. I'm going for a ride every time I'm ever in LA.

PEC LA link
Old 05-29-2019, 06:19 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Porsches lease terribly (high MF, low residuals), unless you can write it off as a business expense.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:26 PM
FiveTwoFifty
Intermediate

Thanks all! The experience center sounds great.

And yeah, realize they lease terribly. My turnover on cars is pretty high though, whether I stick with the same model or not. So the pull ahead program with turning it in q2years makes sense for me.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:54 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

I live in LA as well, drive from Toluca Lake to Westwood and back every day. I've driven Macans and Cayennes on my daily commute along with a number of BMW's. I currently drive a 911 Carrera T, and I'll say that the biggest advantage with this car is that every drive feels special, even the ones sitting in traffic for 85% of the drive. Obviously the Cayenne has significantly better ride comfort and the ease of access and storage space is very nice, but it's still an SUV and it's never really an occasion to drive it. That's for the base anyway, I have not driven the new S model or Turbo model. The 911 makes even the most basic drives feel special, and for the 15% of the time (at least that's the percentage based on the miserable schedule I have at my job) that you can use it with no one in front of you, it's truly incredible and can't help but put a massive smile on your face.

That said, I've driven down the 110 to Palos Verdes many times, and it's great to do it in the 911, but some of the roads over there are quite bumpy and you will notice just how bumpy they are as soon as you get into a 911. Well at least in mine, which has the lowest sport suspension. Even in comfort setting, you will feel it. That's one area the new 992 has a lot of appeal to me, from watching videos and reading reviews, the ride quality seems to be much improved...I'm sure that will make a difference here.

Overall though, if your life and financial situation allows for a 911...get a 911. It's just a totally different experience.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:38 AM
FiveTwoFifty
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ianmSC
I live in LA as well, drive from Toluca Lake to Westwood and back every day. I've driven Macans and Cayennes on my daily commute along with a number of BMW's. I currently drive a 911 Carrera T, and I'll say that the biggest advantage with this car is that every drive feels special, even the ones sitting in traffic for 85% of the drive. Obviously the Cayenne has significantly better ride comfort and the ease of access and storage space is very nice, but it's still an SUV and it's never really an occasion to drive it. That's for the base anyway, I have not driven the new S model or Turbo model. The 911 makes even the most basic drives feel special, and for the 15% of the time (at least that's the percentage based on the miserable schedule I have at my job) that you can use it with no one in front of you, it's truly incredible and can't help but put a massive smile on your face.

That said, I've driven down the 110 to Palos Verdes many times, and it's great to do it in the 911, but some of the roads over there are quite bumpy and you will notice just how bumpy they are as soon as you get into a 911. Well at least in mine, which has the lowest sport suspension. Even in comfort setting, you will feel it. That's one area the new 992 has a lot of appeal to me, from watching videos and reading reviews, the ride quality seems to be much improved...I'm sure that will make a difference here.

Overall though, if your life and financial situation allows for a 911...get a 911. It's just a totally different experience.
Thanks! That does sound amazing. I’ve found that Hertz does Carrera rentals so will secure one for a few days this week and go from there. Excited!
Old 05-30-2019, 10:45 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,522 Likes on 954 Posts

My first Porsche was a Cayenne S. I drove that until my kids were old enough to drive, then my wife took the Cayenne and I switched to a 911. I’ve never looked back. I’ve owned three 911s since then, and I can’t see myself without one. Do it! You won’t regret it! For what it’s worth, our Cayenne was a great vehicle. We kept it for 10 years and put ~160K miles on it.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:51 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

I think if you don't go with the 911 you'll always be wishing you did. Once people seriously consider them, they should get one so their mental health stabilizes and they can get back to life/work

I bought my wife an M-sport X5 last week and have driven the real M powered version at Thermal. As amazing as they are, same for the P ones, they are still an SUV. The high CG is unnerving at their limit and feels odd to be going that fast in an SUV. Once you get a 911, you'll never be without one if circumstances allow.

Have fun driving so e of the newer stuff and then go for drive in an NA one to see if you can live with less torque/features and better sounds. Then go drive a turbo

Get the one you really want vs. wishing you did!

Quick Reply: Potential new 991 owner... some questions