Sponsored by:

Potential new 991 owner... some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 02:07 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveTwoFifty
Thanks! That does sound amazing. I’ve found that Hertz does Carrera rentals so will secure one for a few days this week and go from there. Excited!
Good luck! (And don't be surprised if you end up driving the rental 911 to the Porsche dealer to buy your own.)
Old 05-31-2019, 02:46 AM
SoCalP991
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ianmSC
I live in LA as well, drive from Toluca Lake to Westwood and back every day. I've driven Macans and Cayennes on my daily commute along with a number of BMW's. I currently drive a 911 Carrera T, and I'll say that the biggest advantage with this car is that every drive feels special, even the ones sitting in traffic for 85% of the drive. Obviously the Cayenne has significantly better ride comfort and the ease of access and storage space is very nice, but it's still an SUV and it's never really an occasion to drive it. That's for the base anyway, I have not driven the new S model or Turbo model. The 911 makes even the most basic drives feel special, and for the 15% of the time (at least that's the percentage based on the miserable schedule I have at my job) that you can use it with no one in front of you, it's truly incredible and can't help but put a massive smile on your face.

That said, I've driven down the 110 to Palos Verdes many times, and it's great to do it in the 911, but some of the roads over there are quite bumpy and you will notice just how bumpy they are as soon as you get into a 911. Well at least in mine, which has the lowest sport suspension. Even in comfort setting, you will feel it. That's one area the new 992 has a lot of appeal to me, from watching videos and reading reviews, the ride quality seems to be much improved...I'm sure that will make a difference here.

Overall though, if your life and financial situation allows for a 911...get a 911. It's just a totally different experience.
^^^ what he said. I also live in LA (Pasadena area) and commute to the westside a bit. I leased my first base 911 in 2014 and loved every moment of it. When the lease term ran out in late 2016, I didn't exercise my option to purchase it since I had never intended to buy it as it was a model off of the dealer lot and didn't have the exact specs that I would have ordered. Since it was a short lease, it didn't matter to me all that much. I then kicked myself for not buying out the lease since I missed the driving experience and looks of the car so much. I finally was able to build out a 2019 991.2 which was delivered a month ago. It makes driving in miserable LA traffic so much more enjoyable. I plan to keep the car for a long time.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:09 AM
ABusLux
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 991.2 GTS cab as weekend and track car, a Macan GTS as DD, and a Cayenne S Hybrid as the wife’s DD. The Cayenne is much better than most SUVs out there, even in hybrid flavor with its additional weight and Audi engine, but the Macan GTS (steel suspension, which is standard on Europe) wins in the handling and agility department by a long stretch. The 991.2 is obviously the best of all and the pride and joy of my stable, but I’m not sure I could live with it as my only DD. The Macan is the best compromise between sportiness, convenience and everyday usability I can think of —and of more power is desired there’s the Turbo PP.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:19 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

The Macan Turbo is awesome! I highly recommend you give one a test drive!
Old 05-31-2019, 01:17 PM
chekraze
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveTwoFifty
Thanks! That does sound amazing. I’ve found that Hertz does Carrera rentals so will secure one for a few days this week and go from there. Excited!

I think this is a better idea than going to PECLA. It's cool driving on their track but it doesn't come close to simulating your actual commute. Do you have much bumper to bumper slow traffic to deal with? If so the active cruise control would be nice for those times where traffic is stop and go. But I don't see many cars with that option
Old 05-31-2019, 05:59 PM
FiveTwoFifty
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone! Funny, I too am in the Pasadena area.

I really appreciate the feedback. Have definitely looked at the Macan and driven one - it was fantastic, to be sure! I just don't really enjoy the styling for the new model as much. And for my first Porsche, I feel like I'm leaning towards just "going for the gold" and picking a class Porsche model, as opposed to picking the SUV version. Just my thought process currently.

Yes, lots of bumper-to-bumper traffic on my commute so I'll consider it! How do people view the various seat options? Sport seats versus sport seats plus? I'm definitely checking the "Premium Plus Package" as an option. And adding the Bose... and that's about it for me, I think.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:29 PM
FiveTwoFifty
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So I want to follow up. I rented a 2019 Carrera from Hertz for a weekend... and boy, it was a BLAST. I had an incredible time, especially on some of the windy roads around here and on the 110. It was amazing! The usual curves that I brace myself for in my X5... not an issue. In fact, I often spoke out loud saying, "I'm in a curve!" without even realizing it. There was little transition to going straight versus curving around at 75mph, compared to the usual feeling of tipping over I normally experience. And the power was incredible too.

Overall, 100% completely SOLD. Now I just need to lease trade my X5 away ASAP... haha!

Thank you everyone! Could not be more thrilled knowing what "my car" is for the future.
The following users liked this post:
SoCalP991 (06-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Potential new 991 owner... some questions