Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MetLife insurance, any complaints?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 11:06 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 130 Posts
Default MetLife insurance, any complaints?

I went with MetLife a year ago as they offered a corporate discount through my employer. At the time it appeared like a good deal and I saved money changing my home and auto policies. I felt overall like I had a good experience and it seemed like a company with a good reputation.

So it’s now time for renewal and I received a letter to confirm my annual mileage or it would default to the mileage listed on their letter.

Seemed innocent until I looked at the mileage that they would default to if I did not contact them to amend. Needless to say the mileage estimates all went up as apparently I am just going to start driving more for some unknown reason. I have 4 vehicles on the policy and my 2019 911 is the most valuable and least driven based on my prior provided estimates.

Here the kicker... they made the prior least driven vehicle the most driven, yes the most expensive vehicle. I appreciate their suggestion that I should spend more time with my GTS, but they increased the mileage by 350%...

So I call them to correct and they act all innocent.

But I now feel that I can’t trust this company and wonder if I should change before I really need a trust worthy company.

Is this common? Any one have any complaints about MetLife?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2019, 10:07 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default There is no

such animal as a trustworthy insurance company. Even the best of them (state farm, ect) are straight up borderline criminal. The only company I have ever heard of that seems truly good is USAA but unfortunately I have no way to access them as they have a military requirement.

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
I went with MetLife a year ago as they offered a corporate discount through my employer. At the time it appeared like a good deal and I saved money changing my home and auto policies. I felt overall like I had a good experience and it seemed like a company with a good reputation.

So it’s now time for renewal and I received a letter to confirm my annual mileage or it would default to the mileage listed on their letter.

Seemed innocent until I looked at the mileage that they would default to if I did not contact them to amend. Needless to say the mileage estimates all went up as apparently I am just going to start driving more for some unknown reason. I have 4 vehicles on the policy and my 2019 911 is the most valuable and least driven based on my prior provided estimates.

Here the kicker... they made the prior least driven vehicle the most driven, yes the most expensive vehicle. I appreciate their suggestion that I should spend more time with my GTS, but they increased the mileage by 350%...

So I call them to correct and they act all innocent.

But I now feel that I can’t trust this company and wonder if I should change before I really need a trust worthy company.

Is this common? Any one have any complaints about MetLife?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2019, 12:35 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Shop around each year and get the least expensive company based upon your insurance requirements.

You have stumbled onto a universal problem in that customer loyalty isn't rewarded.
As a reference point, we have been switching insurance companies annually as not a single current provider has been able to offer renewal rates that are better than than the introductory rates of a competitor.
We have zero accidents/claims.
#Shop and save or stay and overpay.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:37 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

I have MetLife Auto insurance, and I have no complaints. Their rates are competitive, and every year they ask me to update my annual mileage. I used to have MetLife home also and bundle the two policies, but they raised their rates too much and I switched to Amica for homeowner’s insurance.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:53 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I have MetLife Auto insurance, and I have no complaints. Their rates are competitive, and every year they ask me to update my annual mileage. I used to have MetLife home also and bundle the two policies, but they raised their rates too much and I switched to Amica for homeowner’s insurance.
Thanks for clarifying the mileage form is normal. I am going to over look this years odd scenario of them defaulting my porsche to a much higher mileage as I called them and had it changed.

I will wait and see what the new rates look like and then decide if I want to go through the hassle of calling around.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:40 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

I am actually on the phone with them right now.

they are pretty good. i have my house, umbrella, rental unit and all my cars.

they are good. no complaints.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:07 AM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
such animal as a trustworthy insurance company. Even the best of them (state farm, ect) are straight up borderline criminal. The only company I have ever heard of that seems truly good is USAA but unfortunately I have no way to access them as they have a military requirement.
WRONG... I had USAA since 1969 and never questioned the prices because they were taking care of me because of my service to the country. Well until last year when I actually compared with Geico and found I was ripped off for all those years. Talkin' paying double the Geico fees which were on 2 Porsches and an Audi. Yep big numbers.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:16 PM
Contadino
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a similar situation to Dennis, had autoand home with them. They raised the home owners so much that I decided to shop around. Ended up saving $1000 per year by going with another company and put part of that savings into an umbrella policy.

Last edited by Contadino; 05-24-2019 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-24-2019, 03:51 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jingber
WRONG... I had USAA since 1969 and never questioned the prices because they were taking care of me because of my service to the country. Well until last year when I actually compared with Geico and found I was ripped off for all those years. Talkin' paying double the Geico fees which were on 2 Porsches and an Audi. Yep big numbers.
There are some horror stories about claims experience as well. My father was a 40+ year USAA member. The only claim he had to submit was due to a vandalism experience and they low-balled the repair expense. Things like having to replace damaged parts with used parts, the repair shop was on the other end of town, and then when he gets the car back, after about 4 months, he finds out that some of the used parts were double-taped in place because the part that would be fastened to sheetmetal was broken.... For one of their most loyal customers.

Quick Reply: MetLife insurance, any complaints?