Sponsored by:

Fault codes after changing spark plugs 😞

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 02:49 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by sdl2112
I hadn’t heard of gapping these plugs either but I thought I read on here where someone installed plugs with the wrong gap and it noticeably ran bad. I’m changing mine this weekend and will cross check all plugs along with the originals taking into account any wear.
Sorry, I have a 991.2 and the spark plugs on these are back to the old style single electrode that curves around from the side to reach the bottom ( and is gapable and quite possible to mess up)..
Surprised me when I ordered a replacement set of plugs......
Old 05-23-2019, 06:10 PM
myamymy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bry5on
A torn boot will allow the spark plug wire within it to arc to the head and cause a misfire. Check all of your boots closely for tears given your trouble. Sounds like a sure bet you found the source
That is 110% correct. The misfire I had was result of damaged rubber. I replaced the coil and all good now.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:22 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by myamymy
That is 110% correct. The misfire I had was result of damaged rubber. I replaced the coil and all good now.
Glad to hear that solved the issue for you. Nothing more stressful than when something goes wrong wrenching on your own car!
Old 05-28-2019, 07:04 PM
wilsonaudio
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced my spark plugs on my 2014 991 C2 over the holiday weekend. I started this project some weeks ago but after removing the first two coil packs the rubber boots remained stuck to the spark plug and no amount of pulling with needle nose pliers would remove them. I gave up and put everything back together. After messaging with myamymy and doing some research I once again attempted successfully to replace the spark plugs.

I was fortunate to only have 2 of the 6 coil boots stuck to the spark plug. I ended up spraying a silicone spray inside the rubber boot and using a long thin flat screw driver to gently slide between the ceramic and rubber boot. Moving the screwdriver along each side of the spark plug released the boot and I was able to remove the boot without damage. I also had a wire hanger available in case some of the less accessible boots were also stuck. The two boots that were stuck on my car were easily accessible using the long screwdriver. Allowing the silicone spray (garage door lube) to sit and carefully sliding the screwdriver between the ceramic portion of the spark plug and rubber boot easily released the boot and allowed me to remove it. Patience is your friend when dealing with this issue.

All rubber boots were removed in perfect condition. I cleaned the silicone spray off the boots and reassembled them onto the coil packs. During the replacement of the spark plugs, I used a small amount of dielectric grease on the ceramic portion of the spark plug. I also used a small amount on a q-tip to apply inside the rubber boot that fits around the ceramic portion of the spark plug. This should prevent the boot from sticking next time I replace the plugs. A very thin coat is all you need. Dielectric grease is rated for very hot temperatures so it should do the job.

I hope this helps the next guy that runs into this problem. Removing stuck boots can turn a relatively easy spark plug job into a difficult one. My car is now running better than ever. I reset my intermediate service light using my Schwaben reset tool and am ready for the summer.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:00 PM
myamymy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wilsonaudio
I replaced my spark plugs on my 2014 991 C2 over the holiday weekend. I started this project some weeks ago but after removing the first two coil packs the rubber boots remained stuck to the spark plug and no amount of pulling with needle nose pliers would remove them. I gave up and put everything back together. After messaging with myamymy and doing some research I once again attempted successfully to replace the spark plugs.

I was fortunate to only have 2 of the 6 coil boots stuck to the spark plug. I ended up spraying a silicone spray inside the rubber boot and using a long thin flat screw driver to gently slide between the ceramic and rubber boot. Moving the screwdriver along each side of the spark plug released the boot and I was able to remove the boot without damage. I also had a wire hanger available in case some of the less accessible boots were also stuck. The two boots that were stuck on my car were easily accessible using the long screwdriver. Allowing the silicone spray (garage door lube) to sit and carefully sliding the screwdriver between the ceramic portion of the spark plug and rubber boot easily released the boot and allowed me to remove it. Patience is your friend when dealing with this issue.

All rubber boots were removed in perfect condition. I cleaned the silicone spray off the boots and reassembled them onto the coil packs. During the replacement of the spark plugs, I used a small amount of dielectric grease on the ceramic portion of the spark plug. I also used a small amount on a q-tip to apply inside the rubber boot that fits around the ceramic portion of the spark plug. This should prevent the boot from sticking next time I replace the plugs. A very thin coat is all you need. Dielectric grease is rated for very hot temperatures so it should do the job.

I hope this helps the next guy that runs into this problem. Removing stuck boots can turn a relatively easy spark plug job into a difficult one. My car is now running better than ever. I reset my intermediate service light using my Schwaben reset tool and am ready for the summer.
Glad that all worked out😀

Quick Reply: Fault codes after changing spark plugs 😞