Sponsored by:

My week long adventure

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 08:53 AM
Niez66
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Good morning everyone

First of all, thank you for all the comments and interest in my little trip. It’s been a fun couple day so far, and this morning we start our journey down into Arkansas.

Quick “shout out” to my Blues, team goes from last place in the NHL on January 3rd to advance to the Stanley Cup. I’ve been able to take my Dad who is 85 years old to a couple game, now I get to take him to a Stanley Cup Final. Super excited about that.

We had a lot of storms roll through yesterday afternoon, but I was able to get the car out for another round of driving the back roads around Table Rock Lake. If any of you visit Arkansas at some point for driving, it would be worth your time to come up to Branson / Hollister Missouri for a additional exploration.

Johnny Morris, owns Bass Pro Shop, and has built an incredible Lodge and Restaurant called Top of the Rock. Best way to describe this place is Disney Land for eating, drinking, and unbelievable views. I’m parked here at the entrance, but google it on your own and make it a destination. I promise you will not be disappointed.

Crossing Hwy 86 bridge over Table Rock Lake, as you can see quite the overcast morning. Kept a keen eye on radar.

Ended up getting caught behind a dump truck for part of my drive, made a quick right hand turn down a road I’ve never traveled to avoid slow driving. Bingo, incredible 3 mile stretch of twisties that led me to an awesome camp ground and wonderful photo ops. After this jaunt, drove back up to Hwy 86 and the road was clear for further spirited driving.

Johnny Morris built a nature park called Dogwood Canyon. Incredible amount of money he spent here, I firmly believe he has no budget when building down in this area. Rumor is that his mindset is “this is how I give back to the area that’s been so good to me”. Seriously folks, you should come down and check out all that he’s built down here, and enjoy your car in the mean time.

Not a road for spirited driving.��

Dogwood Canyon bridge

Back to condo, spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning and waxing the boat, getting it ready for Memorial Day weekend.

Have a great day everyone, and thanks again for reading along. I will be sure to take plenty of pictures today, and promise to update this thread either end of day or in the morning while she’s sleeping in. ��
Old 05-22-2019, 03:29 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Great stuff!
Old 05-22-2019, 08:39 PM
Niez66
Rennlist Member

Default Another great drive today.

Had about 4 1/2 hours of seat time today, Roads are so nice down here, turns for the most part and gentle long sweeping . 45 mph means 60, 35 mph means 50, you get the idea. My wife ended up really comfortable with the driving, did not feel like I needed to hold back much at all. At one point on a scenic byway, we had to slow down because of visibility issues, we were driving in the clouds at 2700 ft elevation.

Lunch stop in Jasper, AK.

Some good views

Cliff House Restaurant

Such a beautifully drive.

Check in at Mount Magazine Lodge, what a great destination for the evening.

The view from our backside of lodge.

Went for a walk to see some of the scenic overlooks.

Well, had to throw this one in.

My my wife now understands one of the reasons I wanted to buy a Porsche, to get out and enjoy some journeys through the back roads. Sure smashed a lot of bugs today.

Attachment is a quick video of driving in the clouds.
Attached Files
Old 05-22-2019, 11:09 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Nice write-up. And keep building up your wife's tolerance, and you can head for Colorado!
Old 05-23-2019, 08:29 PM
Niez66
Rennlist Member

Default My favorite signs from today.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:58 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Looks like a fun drive!
Old 05-24-2019, 09:12 AM
Niez66
Rennlist Member

Default These cars are so much fun to drive

Every morning I find myself excited to get behind the wheel. The Pig Trail IMO was not as fun as Hwy 7, but still a great road with lots of twisties.
we woke up yesterday and delayed our departure for a bit, waiting for the cloud cover to clear the mountain. The drive up to Eureka Springs went by too quickly, arrived a little too quickly. The town is really unique, and I knew my wife would want to do some shopping so I’m okay with it.
Wonderful meal last night, and a great stroll through the streets soaking in some of the night life.

Darn pictures won’t upload, ****ty hotel Wifi. Will finish later..
Old 05-24-2019, 10:06 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Great pictures of a great trip - keep them coming !
Old 05-24-2019, 11:43 PM
Niez66
Rennlist Member

Default Eureka Springs

Flatiron flats, rebuilt 4 times since 1880

Fantastic spot for dinner, Rogue’s Manor Restaurant. Oysters were the largest I’ve ever had in my life, crazy good.

Today we drove back to Table Rock Lake, these two days on the road were so much fun. My wife did really well with the spirited driving, only one time while passing someone did she look up at me and say, “that’s a little fast”. Let’s just days it was still double digits, barely.

Finished off the day with cleaning up the boat while my wife stocked up the condo for grocerys. Kids drive in tomorrow, looking forward to catching up with them.

This is how we settled back down for the day.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:28 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Great trip. Always nice to do the drive with the wife. Those wheels look great.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:03 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

Driving and enjoying your car is what it is all about. Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: My week long adventure