Sponsored by:

PPF-Worth it on Older Car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 01:05 PM
Elmiko
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default PPF-Worth it on Older Car?

I recently stopped at a highly rated detailing shop here in North New Jersey for an estimate on installing PPF on my 2015 C2S. As expected, the shop owner was very honest. The hood, mirrors, and front side panels are OK for PPF, but he told me that my front bumper should be resprayed. A respray will add around $700 to the cost and add more time to the whole process. I have about 37,000 miles on the car and don't have any plans of parting with it, at least for the next 4-5 years. Is it worth paying for both the respray and PPF? The shop owner didn't seem completely convinced it is-he suggested the possibility of just doing the respray (it would be done by someone else) and forgetting about the PPF. Do you guys have any thoughts on this?
Old 05-18-2019, 01:21 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Hard to answer if it would be "worth" it. For me, if the bumper already has a lot of blemishes, I'd just live with it and wouldn't PPF.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:47 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

If you have chips in the paint on the hood, and I am guessing you do, that has to be fixed as well or it will show. How much do the existing blemishes bother you? If it does then it might be worth it. This is really a personal preference thing so "worth it" is a difficult question to answer.

Personally I can't stand to see my paint damaged so I PPF'd from the beginning.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:51 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

I would clear film the metal panels. Leave the bumper, allow it to get more chipped up this summer, then take the bumper to get resprayed over winter and have film done next spring. You want to preserve your metal panels from having to get resprayed. Bumpers I would be less concerned with.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:50 PM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I would clear film the metal panels. Leave the bumper, allow it to get more chipped up this summer, then take the bumper to get resprayed over winter and have film done next spring. You want to preserve your metal panels from having to get resprayed. Bumpers I would be less concerned with.
I would agree with Bxst.

If the metal panels have good paint I would definitely get PPF. Redo the bumper when needed and then get that covered with PPF.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:32 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had my front bumper, hood and fenders re-sprayed $1200. Two weeks later I had PPF installed, whole hood, whole bumper and partial fenders $700. Makes my 2012.5 look new again. No regrets.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:40 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

Not my Porsche, but I just had my 2002 Z8 with 105,000 miles installed with full front PPF and Ceramic Coating (Modesta BC04). The full front (and rear bumper) were resprayed in the late fall ($1300). I could not be any happier - it looks like brand new and the finish is glass like. If you intend to keep your car for a while, I would take care of any paint issues and do the bra. And even if you do not keep the car forever, it will help with resale. If you want to go all out add the ceramic done by a highly qualified professional.

Last edited by shammerman; 05-18-2019 at 07:42 PM. Reason: added info
Old 05-19-2019, 11:30 AM
Feld
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 61 Posts

Awesome car, one of my all time favorite. Had the S62 in my E39 M5, great engine.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:51 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

I stopped by a local PPF installer when they had 3 911 in the shop. They had a GT Silver T that was brand and had full PPF completed. Looked great. The second was a a dark grey 991.1 that had front PPF redone. That too looked good. The third was a white 991.1. No PPF prior to their application and they pointed out a bunch of things to me. Touch up on hood, bumper and the rear hips around the factory undersized clear shark fin film was very visible to me. What made the rear haunches look worse is that there were many chips around where the factory film was applied but none under it. They applied film to the rocker panel and wear going to stop half was up the rear hips. Anyways, protecting what you have makes sense.
I like the idea of repainting the bumper when it is more convenient and the letting that paint cure properly and then applying the PPF.
The following users liked this post:
Klwise (09-10-2023)
Old 05-20-2019, 07:54 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 706 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Elmiko
I recently stopped at a highly rated detailing shop here in North New Jersey for an estimate on installing PPF on my 2015 C2S. As expected, the shop owner was very honest. The hood, mirrors, and front side panels are OK for PPF, but he told me that my front bumper should be resprayed. A respray will add around $700 to the cost and add more time to the whole process. I have about 37,000 miles on the car and don't have any plans of parting with it, at least for the next 4-5 years. Is it worth paying for both the respray and PPF? The shop owner didn't seem completely convinced it is-he suggested the possibility of just doing the respray (it would be done by someone else) and forgetting about the PPF. Do you guys have any thoughts on this?
Cosmetic refinishing on high traffic areas like bumpers is quite prudent prior to clear bra application. We highly recommend it for clients that are keeping their cars.

correct way is to remove bumper, remove all trim/lights/sensors, etc. then a full respray. Allow the paint to cure per body shop recommendations and then clear bra to preserve

Old 05-20-2019, 10:58 AM
Guards_Red_991
Burning Brakes

Received 549 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Allow the paint to cure per body shop recommendations and then clear bra to preserve
two weeks, a month? in the sun?
Old 05-20-2019, 04:38 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 706 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
two weeks, a month? in the sun?
Your body shop should let you know. Because there are so many variables form paint used to how it was sprayed to how it was dried...I know our shop we use it's ready to go right away because they do a few extra steps for us to make sure we can apply ppf asap
Old 05-20-2019, 04:49 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 441 Likes on 283 Posts

Who in North Jersey -Detailers Domain? I need to get half my frunk hood paint corrected and then full PPF on the hood , bumper and partial fenders. Currently have very old PPF (since 2005 - yikes) on the bumper, half frunk hood and partial fenders, so that needs to be removed. Underneath the old PPF should be pristine after all these years (I would hope anyway). Figure its going to cost $1000-1500 for that but should be worth it - car only has 34k miles on it and am driving it a lot more now.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:28 AM
WestlakeHorn
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my bumper refinished. Cure time is 90 days per the body shop -- this is a Porsche certified shop. If you do it too soon, you risk peeling off a bunch of paint if you ever remove the PPF.

I'm glad I did it. Dealer had tried to just cover up the bumper blemishes. It looks so much better once I had the bumper sanded and repainted the correct way.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:26 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by WestlakeHorn
Had my bumper refinished. Cure time is 90 days per the body shop -- this is a Porsche certified shop. If you do it too soon, you risk peeling off a bunch of paint if you ever remove the PPF.

I'm glad I did it. Dealer had tried to just cover up the bumper blemishes. It looks so much better once I had the bumper sanded and repainted the correct way.
Depending on the paint and the process, you don’t always have to wait. I had my front bumper resprayed, and I had PPF installed the next day. My body shop said that heir process allows PPF to be installed in as few as four hours after painting and curing.

Back to the original question - I knew that I’d be putting PPF over a few chips on the hood and fenders. I’m okay with this. The bumper looks as good as new, and I’ll prevent any additional chips on the metal.

Quick Reply: PPF-Worth it on Older Car?