Sponsored by:

Hit and run in the parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 05:00 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeL31
in los angeles, ive had someone hit me from behind, damage similar to this. they ran and i got their plates, i called lapd to file a report. the cop told me, they can just deny it was them driving and you have no proof it was them. basically told me to kick rocks and call my own insurance company to get it fixed. i dont think a dash cam would do much either unless it actually records a clear picture of the driver.
Just speculation on my part, but I believe in many jurisdictions police will not go to the scene of an accident unless there's personal injury.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:22 PM
justabout
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 212 Posts

In PA, leaving the scene of when damaging a car is considered a third degree felony. Without a picture of driver nothing will be done.
Bumper damage is better than getting a headlight keyed. Ask me how I know.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:54 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I'm disgusted to see that people will hit and run but really disgusted to see the blatant damage "just for the hell of it" that some jerks will do. Ignorance isn't an excuse but it sure does fit.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:34 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Take pictures to document the cosmetic repair (for future buyer). That repair will be about $800. Maybe you can remove the bumper, and hand carry into the repair facility and save a little $. Depending on your year/mileage, it would be a good time to repace your engine air filters.

This is a Comp claim on your insurance (lower deduct) and not collision.
In Florida that would be a collison claim - comp is for vandalism, animals, acts of nature, and the like; however, when I lived in Maryland it would have been a comp. claim.

And when someone opened their door into a past car in a restaurant parking lot (I saw him do it) I called the cops and they gave it a case# if the other guy refused to take care of it out of his pocket, which he did wind up doing. So it really boils down to what state one lives in. If it were me I would get it repaired or replaced and if that was the only damage call it a day and forget about it.

Maybe we need to have a camera set up like this one: http://fordauthority.com/2019/05/201...or-sale-video/

Last edited by Bob Z.; 05-17-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Hit and run in the parking lot