Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS vs 991.2 Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 03:14 PM
Raulza
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 GTS vs 991.2 Carrera T

Hi All, I would be interested in points of view between choosing between the above 2 cars. I currently have a 991.1 4 GTS which I still enjoy but I'm looking to get into something else.

All points of view gladly accepted 😃
Old 05-06-2019, 04:38 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Drive both.

I liked the GTS more due to it's bigger hp/tq and higher power output potential as far as modding goes. Looks were just as important and to me the widebody was a must. I also liked the centerlock wheels for looks and they help out a little bit as far as rotating mass goes.

Some people like the T due the smaller turbos which offer slightly quicker response at low RPMs/lower speeds. The base shares the same turbo's but the T has several other unique characteristics over the base and a few things over the other models. Some people also like the narrow body more.

I would rock both any day of the week.. If you buy the T, you will have a backing of an aggressive army of fanboys on here... They will slaughter your family and take your women.. Genocide style.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:47 PM
Scott Cowan
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure lots of different (and more in depth) opinions will be shared. Personally, the Carrera T would be the nearest comparison to your 991.1 GTS from an engine response point of view. The difference in reaction to your throttle inputs is noticeably more immediate in the T than in the .2S or .2 GTS with their slightly larger turbos and higher boost. The torque the T delivers would make it (at least) as flexible at lower RPM compared with your 991.1 GTS. Apart from that, the chassis set up of the T is similar to that of the .2 GTS despite the narrow body. I loved a loaner T I had for 3 weeks last year while my C2S 991.2 was being fixed and I never really missed the extra power my S had over the T, but if it's ultimate power you're more interested in.. disregard my response

Nice problem to have!
Old 05-06-2019, 04:48 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Drive both.

I liked the GTS more due to it's bigger hp/tq and higher power output potential as far as modding goes. Looks were just as important and to me the widebody was a must. I also liked the centerlock wheels for looks and they help out a little bit as far as rotating mass goes.

Some people like the T due the smaller turbos which offer slightly quicker response at low RPMs/lower speeds. The base shares the same turbo's but the T has several other unique characteristics over the base and a few things over the other models. Some people also like the narrow body more.

I would rock both any day of the week.. If you buy the T, you will have a backing of an aggressive army of fanboys on here... They will slaughter your family and take your women.. Genocide style.
Lol. That is funny. I have a 2010 RS and a .2 991 RS and drove both. Now take into account I knew I was likely modding. The T just felt special. No not as special as the RS, of course, but it had something in it that I couldn't describe. GTS felt like a mini version of the Turbo. If I wasnt going to mod, the GTS would've been it for me. I already did Soul 200 cell cats on the car which makes a great soundtrack and will tune at 1k miles. The gearbox in the T is amazing and simply the best manual I've ever driven. The car has zero lag and with the RAS is really a hoot. AP said at a press event the car was going to be called the Club sport but they couldn't get the name cleared in time for release. Thank god it wasnt named that or it would've been plus 40k...lol.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:57 PM
Scott Cowan
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Lol. That is funny. I have a 2010 RS and a .2 991 RS and drove both. Now take into account I knew I was likely modding. The T just felt special. No not as special as the RS, of course, but it had something in it that I couldn't describe. GTS felt like a mini version of the Turbo. If I wasnt going to mod, the GTS would've been it for me. I already did Soul 200 cell cats on the car which makes a great soundtrack and will tune at 1k miles. The gearbox in the T is amazing and simply the best manual I've ever driven. The car has zero lag and with the RAS is really a hoot. AP said at a press event the car was going to be called the Club sport but they couldn't get the name cleared in time for release. Thank god it wasnt named that or it would've been plus 40k...lol.
As above.. "The T just felt special"... I concur 100%. I love my S but the T was somehow more involving.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:11 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 389 Likes on 166 Posts

Fanboy #1 here...get a T if you can find a good spec. I've driven both and much preferred the T.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:15 PM
Raulza
Intermediate

I have driven both and I was impressed with the T, it felt very agile and nimble and didn't feel like there wasn't enough power under your right foot. I have driven the 991.2 GTS a couple of times and felt it was slow when you jump onto the throttle..... and in no way I am saying the GTS is slow.

I forgot that the T is a narrow body..... off the bat the T is a fun car to drive, I loved the manual box..... but I wonder long term if I will regret the power difference and take. GTS instead.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:15 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Totally agreed, and nobody would drive them either because rich people would look at it as an investment instead.

The only way to make a choice on any model is to drive them.. Rennlist opinions can only do so little... I'd advise OP not to be shy and to rip both cars regardless of what the salesman says. It's a six figure purchase.

Interesting that you say that about the MT in the T.. I've never had the chance to drive the MT.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:18 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Originally Posted by Raulza
I have driven both and I was impressed with the T, it felt very agile and nimble and didn't feel like there wasn't enough power under your right foot. I have driven the 991.2 GTS a couple of times and felt it was slow when you jump onto the throttle..... and in no way I am saying the GTS is slow.

I forgot that the T is a narrow body..... off the bat the T is a fun car to drive, I loved the manual box..... but I wonder long term if I will regret the power difference and take. GTS instead.
If you're not going to do any highway driving I'd get the T if I were in your shoes.

From my experience the 370hp engine slows down noticeably at the top of 3rd and beyond.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:20 PM
Raulza
Intermediate

The torque the T delivers would make it (at least) as flexible at lower RPM compared with your 991.1 GTS

This opinion and comment is very useful to me.... as the NA cars are such a delight when you modulate the throttle.... and the T definitely gave me good feedback.... not exactly NA.... but real close
Old 05-06-2019, 05:26 PM
Raulza
Intermediate

If you're not going to do any highway driving I'd get the T if I were in your shoes.

From my experience the 370hp engine slows down noticeably at the top of 3rd and beyond.
I don't do much highway driving... so that's a good point you make ?
Old 05-06-2019, 05:31 PM
Raulza
Intermediate

Totally agreed, and nobody would drive them either because rich people would look at it as an investment instead.

The only way to make a choice on any model is to drive them.. Rennlist opinions can only do so little... I'd advise OP not to be shy and to rip both cars regardless of what the salesman says. It's a six figure purchase.

Interesting that you say that about the MT in the T.. I've never had the chance to drive the MT.
I'm going back tomorrow and going to drive both cars (GTS and T) with MT... unfortunately I'm a bit of a sucker for them..... they just heighten my enjoyment.... but that's me.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:39 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

With a tune the T goes to 475/490 tq. for 1900 bucks. If its the power holding you back on a T. I've driven one and the drivability is the exact same but holy hell is it fast!! Seemed to be on par with a 991.1 turbo.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:42 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Raulza
Hi All, I would be interested in points of view between choosing between the above 2 cars. I currently have a 991.1 4 GTS which I still enjoy but I'm looking to get into something else.

All points of view gladly accepted 😃
Curious: What do you guys say if the OP was wanting to buy either a 991.2 GTS *or* a new T?
Old 05-06-2019, 05:44 PM
Raulza
Intermediate

With a tune the T goes to 475/490 tq. for 1900 bucks. If its the power holding you back on a T. I've driven one and the drivability is the exact same but holy hell is it fast!! Seemed to be on par with a 991.1 turbo.
Tune unfortunately are not an option as in South Africa, the cars are sold with a 3 or 5 drive plan which prevents doing a tune 🙈.... unless you want to forfeit the plan.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS vs 991.2 Carrera T