Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS vs 991.2 Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 05:52 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

From 991.1 4GTS either you upgrade to a 991.2GTS or if you do not need rear seats jump a GT3.

T is the perfect car for People Who love the Base model but want something special.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:52 PM
Grantsfo
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 83 Posts

Depends on how you order. You want comfy seats with rear seats, sun roof and PDK etc. GTS would be my choice. Want Rear seat delete, bare bones car with manual? T would be choice. T potential weight savings if optioned properly if fairly significant over GTS.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:15 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Small turbos (really the main mechanical difference between the 2 cars) are noticeably more responsive but you can feel them choking out at high speed. Once you get the gts going it feels like a supercar.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:18 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Raulza
Tune unfortunately are not an option as in South Africa, the cars are sold with a 3 or 5 drive plan which prevents doing a tune 🙈.... unless you want to forfeit the plan.
forfeit the plan. is there any another choice?
Old 05-06-2019, 06:20 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Grantsfo
Depends on how you order. You want comfy seats with rear seats, sun roof and PDK etc. GTS would be my choice. Want Rear seat delete, bare bones car with manual? T would be choice. T potential weight savings if optioned properly if fairly significant over GTS.
Had to have back seats for my kiddos so to make up the weight diff I threw in the Porsche motorsport lightweight battery. Minus 35-40 lbs.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:38 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by SB27
Curious: What do you guys say if the OP was wanting to buy either a 991.2 GTS *or* a new T?
They are not comparable performance - wise or price - wise. But find a great deal on a nice used GTS and the GTS wins hands down, with 22% more HP and 23% more torque. Assuming you don't drive around town at low rpm all the time in a manual 911. The manual T is going to be more responsive in lower gears than a GTS, especially at lower rpm compared to a manual GTS at low rpm. But who drives a 911 that way? Most hypermilers are driving a Prius.
I did a step better, finding a brand new but older loaded S with all the performance options. I added an X51 PowerKit for about $4k net after selling my take-off turbos (probably to a T owner doing a tune) and it now is easily faster than a T, and slightly faster a GTS, because of the slightly greater width and weight of the GTS.
During last week's track day on a short track (1.5 miles, 8 turns). at dealer-sponsored customer appreciation day, the T in my run group was no contest, and the GTS could not quite keep up with me on the straights. These were all PDK's.
Oh, and my X51 enhanced C2S is covered by full factory warranty for 4 full years, till July 2022. I hit a win-win with mine.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:22 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

If only they'd approve the X51 for the T...a man can dream!

(Porsche, are you listening?)
Old 05-06-2019, 11:29 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 911-TOUR
If only they'd approve the X51 for the T...a man can dream!

(Porsche, are you listening?)
You can always go big turbo.. It's not something I'm a fan of which is a big reason why I went with the GTS or S w/X51.

The tune with mods that I'm running has significantly increased throttle response and the turbos on the GTS spool like the base turbos do.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:11 AM
Raulza
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
From 991.1 4GTS either you upgrade to a 991.2GTS or if you do not need rear seats jump a GT3.

T is the perfect car for People Who love the Base model but want something special.
I prefer having back seats as I have small kids that can still fit in. I've had manual GT3's which is a real sweet spot driving machine for me but low on practicability.

Your suggestions are probably the right choice GTS or GT3.... I'll see later today after a back to back drive if T and GTS.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:46 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Raulza
I prefer having back seats as I have small kids that can still fit in. I've had manual GT3's which is a real sweet spot driving machine for me but low on practicability.

Your suggestions are probably the right choice GTS or GT3.... I'll see later today after a back to back drive if T and GTS.
I was in exactly same position like you. I wanted a "special" 911 and GT3 was my target car.

Unfortunatelly GT3 even Touring has no rear seats therefore i managed to got an allocation for a Carrera 991.2 Coupe GTS. I had the option also for a T allocation but i preffered widebody and bigger factory HP, torgue.

I ordered foldable LWBs (EU advantage), RAS, PCCBs (installed after arrival), SPAM, after market Akrapovic Sport Cats and wait for the lightweight wheels.

No sunroof, no audio upgrade, no front lift, no any extras that do not improve driving performance.

I am pretty sure my decision with the minor upgrades (high Flow cats and lightweight wheels) is even faster than a GT3 for spirited back road driving and yearly track Experience.

T is also an Excellent car. But obviously is lower League than GTS.

To make it Clear GTS is also lower League than GT3 but the 3.0 Turbo GTS engine is much better for my driving style than the NA GT3 engine.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:33 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
I was in exactly same position like you. I wanted a "special" 911 and GT3 was my target car.

Unfortunatelly GT3 even Touring has no rear seats therefore i managed to got an allocation for a Carrera 991.2 Coupe GTS. I had the option also for a T allocation but i preffered widebody and bigger factory HP, torgue.

I ordered foldable LWBs (EU advantage), RAS, PCCBs (installed after arrival), SPAM, after market Akrapovic Sport Cats and wait for the lightweight wheels.

No sunroof, no audio upgrade, no front lift, no any extras that do not improve driving performance.

I am pretty sure my decision with the minor upgrades (high Flow cats and lightweight wheels) is even faster than a GT3 for spirited back road driving and yearly track Experience.

T is also an Excellent car. But obviously is lower League than GTS.

To make it Clear GTS is also lower League than GT3 but the 3.0 Turbo GTS engine is much better for my driving style than the NA GT3 engine.
Pics? It's too bad the US market never got the LWB seats in the GTS... The 3.0 definitely has bigger power potential vs the NA GT3.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:09 AM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Here you are.
Wait for BBS FI-Rs to arrive next month and car Will be in his final setup.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:23 AM
Raulza
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took both cars for a test drive today and I can summarise to the following the way I see it....

The 991.2 Carrera T,
has a awesome manual short throw gearbox,
it has almost instantaneous power delivery (just a very small lag) and
gives you a lot of confidence straight away.

The 991.2 GTS Convertible,
also a manual, a bit of a longer throw to the next gears (its good, but the T felt nicer),
I could definetly feel the extra power of the GTS but it also has a longer lag when getting onto the gas
This car requires a bit more of your attention when on the power, going around corners and changing manual gears(ie 3rd pedal). (the T felt easier, probably because of the power difference)

Im a bit biased towards 3 pedal cars..... as you might have gathered
Old 05-07-2019, 12:33 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Some things are unique to the T only, some are unique to the GTS only.
i really didn’t want the Center locking wheels and blacked out trim etc. so I was comparing the S and T when shopping

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS vs 991.2 Carrera T