Sponsored by:

Gtecnik Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 01:20 PM
Mikek2s
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Gtecnik Ceramic Coating

Has anyone hade their car ceramic coated or can comment on the Gtecnik products,

Thanks, Mike
Old 05-04-2019, 01:28 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 220 Posts

I had my car done with Ceramic Pro last week and it's sitting in the garage, curing.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:01 PM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, mine was done from new by the dealer as part of the deal. Think you need to have a professional apply it and the original surface thoroughly corrected and clean of all waxes in preparation, not by a valeting boy on minimum wage even at the official dealer's.. Had my last 3 cars done but only the current one is Gtechnik. Certainly the best of the three. The previous two didn't seem to last much longer than a good self waxing. A year now on Gtechnik and still makes washing very easy but not as noticeably as the first few times. I think you need to top it up with the light serum you can buy and apply yourself from Gtechnik after a year or so.

I must admit, I'm not sure it's worth silly money. Mine was quoted as £680 ($880) but in the deal it was effectively about £200, in that that's all they'd discount the car further if I didn't have it. I think it's another of those highly profitable (ie rip off) upselling opportunities that salesmen are keen to hook you with. My previous Porsche, after the deal was done, they tried to sell me some other nano-technology ceramic branded nonsense for £480 and then said they;d do it half price so I said halve it again and they said yes. So £120 and presumably still profitable. My view is that a new car at $100,000 plus ought to come with the best possible paint finish. A used car I think it's worth doing but must be done by a professional detailer and it'll be very costly.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:39 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

I have had multiple vehicles done with GTechniq. My 2013 Cab was done about 4 years ago along with my wife's Lexus RX. While both were done by the same person I am a lot happier with the way the product has performed on the 911 over the RX. My washing routine is pressure washer with soap gun, de-ionized water for rinse and then blow dry. The RX does not blow dry near as efficiently as the 911. I think the 911 still looks better from a paint pov, but my wife thinks her RX looks as good as the day she bought it. I like the way it was performing on the 911 that when I picked up a 2017 Cayenne S a couple of years ago I had it coated also. GTechniq makes my car care much easier to perform and the shine quality has been equal to semi-annual polishing for me -- at a much lower total cost as far as I am concerned. In summary, I would do another Porsche again is a heartbeat but would think about it a bit for the RX,
Old 05-04-2019, 05:36 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

My GT4 has GTechniq applied. I have had great experiences with their products and their North American HQ is close to where I live. So I've been by there a few times to pick-up some products and their service and support has been very good as well.

ObsessedGarage has some installation videos that are worth watching if you plan to do the install yourself.

The real cost is in the paint correction work. The coating, while not cheap, is really a small portion of the total cost. The expense is the labor involved in getting the paint right before applying the coating.

I will also add that, while I love the benefits or ceramic coatings, those benefits are limited to ease of cleaning. It doesn't protect from chips or scratches. It's a great product as long as your expectations are properly set.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:16 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

This is my opinion from having it done on 3 cars..

Complete waste of money. Does nothing. Yes, for the first month or two it does that cool hydrotrophic water bead, but after that its done.
I will never do it again and I have had 3 different installers use 3 different types of coatings. Now I use those sprays and get the same effect for about the same length of time.

My 2 cents.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:59 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Have it on my Macan S. Great product, went for the top of the line. Just went in for the annual inspection and “boost”. I think it’s worth it as the water just sheets off. A couple of months ago I got nailed by seagull poop at the beach...I mean, a lot of it, on the hood and roof. It could have been on the car for three hour max as that’s how long it was parked...all dried. Took it home and rinsed it off and then washed the car, not a mark on it and it’s a dark color. It’s already paid for itself. Did the Suntek PPF over the impact areas as well.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:12 PM
Haliax
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 25 Posts

I had it applied last November to my new 911T and so far I think it's great.

Time will tell how long it lasts. But it has a 9 year warranty, so that gives a little peace of mind.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:51 PM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 28 Posts

Don't have experience with gtechniq but I'm always wary of companies that have a new formulation every few months. Can't imagine there's so many technological breakthroughs in car waxes.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:24 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
This is my opinion from having it done on 3 cars..

Complete waste of money. Does nothing. Yes, for the first month or two it does that cool hydrotrophic water bead, but after that its done.
I will never do it again and I have had 3 different installers use 3 different types of coatings. Now I use those sprays and get the same effect for about the same length of time.

My 2 cents.
^^^^
Old 05-05-2019, 10:22 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

Yes, it works but a lot of these products are improperly marketed. It seems that the common message is that you pay some money to get this done, then you never have to touch your car again and it will be good for 10 years. That simply is not true. In order to keep the product up, you really need to be washing your car weekly and then maybe monthly put a coating topper like the spray sealant that many of these companies offer on top.

All of these products though work well, have it done by a professional if you have not done it before.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:16 PM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Yes, it works but a lot of these products are improperly marketed. It seems that the common message is that you pay some money to get this done, then you never have to touch your car again and it will be good for 10 years. That simply is not true. In order to keep the product up, you really need to be washing your car weekly and then maybe monthly put a coating topper like the spray sealant that many of these companies offer on top.

All of these products though work well, have it done by a professional if you have not done it before.
professionally installed products like opticoat pro+ or cquartz advertise no topper coatings needed for years, but definitely expensive compared to DIY options
Old 05-05-2019, 04:45 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 611 Likes on 295 Posts

Gtechniq professionally applied with CSL/EXO v4 on 7 vehicles so far. All had full decon, iron removal, clay, and paint correction with Rupes Orbital and Sonax perfect finish. They have all done ridiculously well. Some as a daily driver even in the Florida heat!! Also have Suntek Ultra PPF below and on hood/fenders.

Last edited by rosenbergendo; 05-06-2019 at 07:12 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:08 AM
moomin
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 74 Posts

There's so much hype and BS with ceramic coatings. If the installer does all the prep work (decon, claybar, correction, etc) then it can be worth it. I'd put the money towards xpel or similar and a $30 bottle of sealant. Just know that ceramic coatings are for shine and ease of cleaning, not much in the way of protection.

Last edited by moomin; 05-06-2019 at 04:27 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:32 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

I have it on my Targa - Very happy with it, high shine on the paint and wash is a breeze. Also, I feel it has protected the paint extremely well!

Quick Reply: Gtecnik Ceramic Coating