991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 Drivers door/window wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021 | 01:31 PM
Motorist911
Rennlist Member

I have the exact same whistle, in the very same spot. I just assumed it was the window not closing completely but ill have to try the tape on the mirror. I do have PPF on my sideview mirror.
Old 05-03-2021 | 03:52 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Originally Posted by maitlaer
I had my roof replaced and since then I am getting wind noise at above 70km per hour. Have any of you encountered this problem and what did you do to resolve it.
Originally Posted by Poluski
Yes I've had whistling on the driver side with window up. Had nothing to do with the seals or the window. It was the mirror. I first noticed it on my drive immediately after I had the 3M protective film added to my mirrors. Not sure if it was the film but I'm certain it was the mirror. It even whistled when I put the window down while on the highway. Putting a finger on top of the mirror would make the whistle go away. This happened at highway speeds with certain wind conditions. My remedy was putting three clear rubber/vinyl half sphere bumpers I got at Ace Hardware store right in front of the groove on top side of the mirror. Just to break up the airflow over the top edge. Problem has been gone for months. Just a little airflow disruption does the trick. Other more visually appealing solutions might work as well. I'd give that a shot.
Old 05-07-2021 | 03:48 AM
maitlaer
4th Gear

When the window is supposed to be all the way up, I found that there is a slight gap about the thickness of a business card which is likely the reason for the wind noise. I’ve performed the window reset procedure without success. I have my vehicle booked into Porsche service. I'll provide an update after the service.

Last edited by maitlaer; 05-16-2021 at 01:59 AM. Reason: update on actions taken to resolve the issue
Old 05-22-2021 | 02:54 AM
maitlaer
4th Gear

The Porsche dealer made adjustments to the position of the Windows on both sides of the vehicle. The wind noise has gone on the passenger side and I had a strange/annoying sound on the drivers side window which is also resolved.

Last edited by maitlaer; 05-22-2021 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Typo
The following users liked this post:
regajohn (12-15-2023)
Old 12-13-2023 | 02:51 PM
cruise
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by limegreen
My 991.1 has had a persistent wind whistle noise from the drivers door / window area since I acquired it a couple years back with approx. 10k miles on it.

The noise is definitely not coming from the side mirror and appears to be from the rear of the window near the B pillar. It is heard only when on the highway above 65 mph and increases dramatically beyond 80-90. Nothing looks out of place alignment wise and there is no visible wear or damage to any of the window or door seals.

I have recently driven other 991's that do not make this noise I assume it's not normal or inherent.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so what was the fix?

Thank you!

A friend brilliantly solved this driver's window whistle (at 40-55 mph) by putting a length of Huixi high quality tape under the front edge of the trunk (and under the release lever). the nois
e was coming from air entering under the trunk lid. Solved the problem.
Old 12-13-2023 | 03:41 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Can someone please send me the procedure for resetting the drivers window limits, particularly the drop on opening the door. Thanks, Doug
Old 12-13-2023 | 03:59 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

From the 997 forum the guidance is to roll the window all the way down and hold the switch for 5 seconds and then same rolling it all the way up (presumably with the door closed).
Old 12-14-2023 | 02:28 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

So, that didn't work
Old 12-14-2023 | 03:11 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

To reset (car must be on):

1) lower the window all the way down and release the switch
2) push the switch down, hold it there for 3 seconds, and then release
3) raise the window all the way and release the switch
4) pull the switch up, hold it for 3 seconds, and then release
5) turn car off and then back on
OR:
A) Close window completely once by pulling the rocker switch
B) If window is completely closed, briefly pull the rocker switch again 3 times
C) Open window completely once by pressing rocker switch
The following users liked this post:
the_buch (12-15-2023)
Old 12-14-2023 | 07:59 PM
HardRider
Racer

Have someone use blue painter tape and tape all the weathers stripping around your door including the window and go for drive. Start eliminating things with blue tape. Run tape over the access hood on the back, on, just have to go component to component. Next time driving drive with door mirror folded in, any change......
Old 12-14-2023 | 09:04 PM
cruise
Rennlist Member

Default Ha

I did that exactly that. Nothing worked except the tape in the trunk.
Old 03-07-2024 | 07:06 PM
cruise
Rennlist Member

Default driver side wind whistle

I posted this earlier:
A friend brilliantly solved this driver's window whistle (at 40-55 mph) by putting a length of Huixi high quality tape under the front edge of the trunk (and under the release lever). the nois
e was...

Quick Reply: 991.1 Drivers door/window wind noise