Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Error Messages starting the car..

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 09:30 AM
Bill_76
Pro

Received 442 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Error Messages starting the car..

Hi all!

Since a couple of months ago sometimes when I start the GT4 it shows different error messages, but the car runs good, if you turn off and turn on again it doesn't give you any message...I drive the car every 15 days I do not know if maybe it is battery related, but sometimes it doesn’t show them at the first start after one or two weeks of being parked...that is the strange thing.
One error message is steering wheel heat off.....what? gT4 does not have this option....

Here is a video, after stop recording it showed the heated steering wheel off message too. Thank you!

Old 04-30-2019, 10:23 AM
991.1GTS
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

There is a lot of information on the forum about the sub-systems of our cars drawing a fair amount of current in resting state, which leads me to believe that battery condition could be the problem.

Our cars are very sensitive to battery condition / voltage. Does the car sit for 15 days with no battery tender / charging at all? I would fully charge the battery with a quality digital smart charger, and then make a point to use the car a couple of times that week. If the problem goes away, you will have isolated the problem.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:29 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Did you ask on the respective forum? Maybe there is a gremlin related to just that model? But I agree with the above...batteries that are not well can cause strange things to happen.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:35 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Yeah, I agree with battery and key fob batteries (2032's).
Old 04-30-2019, 11:57 AM
Bill_76
Pro

Thank you for all the responses, yes I'm sure that it is the battery as all said, the car has OEM one yet and as I use sometimes weekly or every 15 days without a battery tender it is killing the battery.

Any good battery tender to recommend that I can use in the GT4 & GTS too?

Thank you again!!
Old 04-30-2019, 12:00 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by Bill_76
Any good battery tender to recommend that I can use in the GT4 & GTS too?

Thank you again!!
C-Tek's or Porsche's.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:59 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Every time you have so many electrical faults at once the first thing to check is the battery and the charging system. These cars are very sensitive to system voltage and even though your battery is capable of starting the car,it doesn't mean it is not faulty. The first thing to do is have your battery load tested. In the same time the charging system needs to be checked whether is capable of charging and maintaining proper system voltage. If the battery is found defective it needs to be replaced and then test the charging system. Lastly,it's a good idea to test the electrical system for parasitic draw in order to figure out if there's something drawing current from the battery when the car is off.
My advice since your car is a 2016,it might still fall under factory warranty : so I would try to duplicate the problem in front of a dealer technician(or show him the video). That way,you might even have the battery covered under warranty.
Good luck!
Old 04-30-2019, 04:33 PM
Bill_76
Pro

Originally Posted by neanicu
Every time you have so many electrical faults at once the first thing to check is the battery and the charging system. These cars are very sensitive to system voltage and even though your battery is capable of starting the car,it doesn't mean it is not faulty. The first thing to do is have your battery load tested. In the same time the charging system needs to be checked whether is capable of charging and maintaining proper system voltage. If the battery is found defective it needs to be replaced and then test the charging system. Lastly,it's a good idea to test the electrical system for parasitic draw in order to figure out if there's something drawing current from the battery when the car is off.
My advice since your car is a 2016,it might still fall under factory warranty : so I would try to duplicate the problem in front of a dealer technician(or show him the video). That way,you might even have the battery covered under warranty.
Good luck!
Thank you, I'll do.

Btw I just bought two CTEK US3300 on Amazon $52 one for each car, just to prevent it, thanks again for the advice
Old 04-30-2019, 04:35 PM
991.1GTS
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Yeah, I agree with battery and key fob batteries (2032's).
thanks for the reminder on changing the key fob 2032 batteries, LexVan - I just did that now.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:39 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by 991.1GTS
thanks for the reminder on changing the key fob 2032 batteries, LexVan - I just did that now.
They are super easy to do (pull out emergncy key blade, lift up black cover with finger, remove & replace). I did mine in about 2015 (so those lasted about 2 years) and just had to do again about 3 weeks ago (those lasted about 3.5 years). The multi-function screen will give you a yellow warning, upon start-up, when they are getting low.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:51 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Reviving this thread a year on as the title and content are good.

My car recently took a complete dump over almost all fault memory, if it had an ashtray I think it would have shown up too. I had been suspicious of a failing battery (high resistance internally) for a while due to labored starts. Your battery voltage off-load can look ok but give it some load and it drops to the ground. It was pretty clear from posts here that it was a likely issue.

Just switched to an Antigravity 40Ah H7, cleared the ECU memory with the new battery on (couldn't get the voltage on the original battery with ignition on and a charger to get to the 13V for piwis to play) and all is good now.

Btw the cranking amps of the Antigravity is crazy.

Edit. That so looks like an ad, my bad. Check your battery when multiple unrelated stuff goes off.

Quick Reply: Error Messages starting the car..