Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera T - Is RAS a must-have?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 02:50 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

I've driven cars back to back with and without. On the street, it will be hard to tell what RAS gives you that PTV and the mLSD don't. Other than parking and u turns... But when you are out ripping it up, as you might want to do, you'll appreciate RAS greatly. Given that you have a car with it already, I think you'll appreciate the difference and may miss it. But it really depends on what you want the Swiss Army Knife of the 991.2 for. Only you can decide.

In the end I'm very glad I spec'd it and wouldn't want it any other way. If you can find it, get it. If you can't, settle and accept what you were able to get and be good with it. It will be great either way and for different reasons. Either one you can enjoy.

ß
Old 04-30-2019, 04:54 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Put it this way...I blew my buddies away last week in the switchbacks of PA on our annual drive to the Hershey Porsche Parts Swap meet. I was flying in my car and it's got to be the RAS and PTV combined with LSD. I felt super confident. Just love this car.
Did you blow him away because he just didn't feel like driving as fast as you on a public road or legitimately because his car could not keep up? If you feel his car actually could not keep up without RAS then you were clearly driving in a highly illegal manner and maybe he didn't want to risk going to jail. I always take this aspect into consideration when I hear about people being "blown away" on a public road in any sort of modern 911.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:30 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,189 Posts

If you can find a car with it, then get it. However, these cars are so good as is, unless you are pushing it to the limits on the street, or if you are on track, you aren't going to be disappointed if you don't have it. In my mind it also depends how long you are planning to keep the car. If it is a long term car, I would actually be less likely to get it since repair cost and complexity down the road is slightly higher than a car without it.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:55 AM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 250 Posts

Have RAS on my Carrera T. I have driven another T without the rear axel steering and you can feel the difference. The cars feels smaller and turns in quicker with RAS. However RAS others have said, more to worry about maintaining years down the road. Heck, if I were worried about that I would have optioned the manual roll up windows :-)
Old 04-30-2019, 12:36 PM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 150 Posts

I think you won't go wrong either way. I had a 991.1 without it and owned a GT3 at the same time. I was amazed at the GT3 ability to turn, on the street, and my 991.2 Cab has RAS as well. I do notice it on the street frequently; maybe that means I drive too fast...

Like a lot of people said go drive both and then decide.

Roy
Old 04-30-2019, 12:37 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Carefully read the specs about what RAS does. It changes the rear wheel angle to shorten the turning radius by a little more 1 foot out of 36 feet at maximum (very slow speed, parking lot) and gradually fades out to no change at 31 mph. Then it does nothing between and 50 mph, where it starts to lengthen turning radius (decreased agility but added stability). So, despite the claims of night and day increase agility, it does absolutely nothing to add agility for most of the fast turns you are going to make unless they are really tight turns (parking lot, autocross, hairpin turns). But if you frequently make aggressive turns at under 30 mph it makes a lot of sense.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:50 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I don’t think either option is a must but if I would have to choose I would go for SPASM, which I did.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:14 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just want to say thanks so much for all the replies and insights here. I have read them all very carefully. I've decided to buy one with RAS, even though the only ones available right now are a little over-specced and cost $10K more than I'd like to spend.

Thanks again for all the advice!
Old 04-30-2019, 10:41 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 250 Posts

The only option you’ll regret is the one you didn’t get.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:46 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
Did you blow him away because he just didn't feel like driving as fast as you on a public road or legitimately because his car could not keep up? If you feel his car actually could not keep up without RAS then you were clearly driving in a highly illegal manner and maybe he didn't want to risk going to jail. I always take this aspect into consideration when I hear about people being "blown away" on a public road in any sort of modern 911.
Uh oh...the morality police are here. No, the group of us were driving spirited as we do and often I'm the one behind. But yes, on a track in safe conditions the RAS makes an incredible difference. Last time I checked none of us are Porsche engineers specializing in driving dynamics so clearly RAS is a marketing ploy...

I'd say don't spec it but Carrera T's are out of production.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:54 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm totally happy without, but Burmester was a must when I built mine to order - so different strokes for different folks!
Old 05-01-2019, 10:35 AM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Uh oh...the morality police are here. No, the group of us were driving spirited as we do and often I'm the one behind. But yes, on a track in safe conditions the RAS makes an incredible difference. Last time I checked none of us are Porsche engineers specializing in driving dynamics so clearly RAS is a marketing ploy...

I'd say don't spec it but Carrera T's are out of production.
Certainly not the morality police just making a valid observation. I just find people who talk about "blowing people away" on public roads are somewhat ridiculous and tend to be more concerned about sounding cool than giving a relevant fact based answer to the topic.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:03 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I am sorry I can’t add much of substance to the OP. However, I am on my first 911 and it does have RAS....but never driving one without it I can’t speak as to the difference it makes. I just know it handles well and it has a sharp turning radius in tight parking lots. I will be ordering a new 992 soon and I will check the box as I feel it has to make the car a better performer....even on the spirited back roads. It’s not the $2,000 option that gets you but the $140,000 before it😏
Old 05-01-2019, 03:35 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,332 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
I don’t think either option is a must but if I would have to choose I would go for SPASM, which I did.
Doesn’t SPASM come as standard on the T?

No such thing as a ‘must have’ in my opinion.

I had RAS on my 2017 Panamera 4, but I didn’t tick the box on my Carrera T.

It’s my sole car and a daily driver, having covered over 15,300 miles in its first year and I am extremely happy with it, despite it being RAS-less.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:31 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 221 Posts

I haven’t tracked mine yet and I ordered it with RAS. 90%+ of my driving doesn’t require the RAS but when I need it, it works like magic and I definitely notice its effects. It’s all personal preference and I’m glad I got it.

Quick Reply: Carrera T - Is RAS a must-have?