Carrera T - Is RAS a must-have?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 08:29 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Carrera T - Is RAS a must-have?

Hello!

Im searching for a Carrera T to use as a DD with kids in the back and a canyon carver when they're not (I have just bought a house 7 mins from Malibu Canyons). I have a GT3T but looking to get a T to have something that's still very much a drivers car, but with more of the 911 practicality that's missing in the GT3. My spec will be mostly a stripper but with sofas so I can have back seats and get in and out without looking like an idiot (well any more than usual at least).

I was lead to believe that RAS was a must have in the T but im finding it very difficult to find any with it. Interested to know from anyone here who has tried back-to-back with and without the RAS?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 04-29-2019, 08:43 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 427 Posts

Not two Ts, but I drove a 911 with and without RAS back to back. Very noticeable. However the one without was a carrera which also didnt have ptv or spasm, but i didnt drive it hard enough to break the rear loose on the test drive. With RAS it felt like a different car at low and high speed because the steering was much sharper.
More food for thought... Everyone that has tested the 992 has been whacking off about how good the steering is. The 992 steering is identical to the 991.2 with RAS and the 992 can be optioned further to also have RAS on top of that.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:45 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

It's nice to have but it's not a must imo. I ordered my T with it and am glad I have it. I probably feel it most on switchbacks. The car definitely feels like it has more grip than without.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:50 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

It's an interesting question that I don't believe has any right or wrong answer. It seems that purists believe the T should not have it as it's a basic 911 and this kind of trickery messes with the ethos of the car. On the other hand, guys like me ordered it because I think it's super cool and I like the reports of it driving like an older air-cooled. As my car has not yet arrived I really can't comment. Hang in here and others will chime in.

P.s. Good idea on picking up a T and your comment on the seats. I did NOT (somewhat regrettably) order the LWBS as I too wanted access to the back seats and instead opt'd for the 4WSS+. Good luck on your hunt!
Old 04-29-2019, 08:59 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
On the other hand, guys like me ordered it because I think it's super cool and I like the reports of it driving like an older air-cooled.
This is what I heard too and really the reason I posted. The problem is there's so much marketing BS and imaginary unicorn dust with Porsche it's hard to know what to believe. Back in the day I had a 964. If I could get a modern 911 that's half as fun as that was I'd be thrilled. Can't say my GT3 with RAS drives an air-cooled however
Old 04-29-2019, 10:44 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 391 Likes on 167 Posts

Put it this way...I blew my buddies away last week in the switchbacks of PA on our annual drive to the Hershey Porsche Parts Swap meet. I was flying in my car and it's got to be the RAS and PTV combined with LSD. I felt super confident. Just love this car.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:12 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

Meh. I drove cars with. I drove cars without. I have been driving rear wheel drive cars my entire life without rear wheel steering and have been just fine.

My T feels great without it on the street and is lighter without it. I am sure around the track it would be faster with it.

Last note, while many will think this is silly, those RAS actuators are $2600 each, rubber belt driven internally, and module controlled. These items will eventually wear, complicate alignments, etc. I just did not see the benefit.
The following users liked this post:
WCGhost (07-22-2021)
Old 04-29-2019, 11:58 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Received 374 Likes on 199 Posts

I also drove both and couldn't tell a difference. My salesman told me Porsche sent him to Europe put him on a track with a driver and the RAS made all the difference. I really believe he was being honest with me..but he was talking about driving the car in a way I have zero interest in doing. So it absolutely depends on how you push the car.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:59 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't have it and don't really see the need for it. Just more stuff for me to worry about maintenance down the road. Alternatively, don't drive one with it and you'll never know
Old 04-30-2019, 12:15 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by .moo.
I don't have it and don't really see the need for it. Just more stuff for me to worry about maintenance down the road. Alternatively, don't drive one with it and you'll never know
If you have a 911 you already have a lot of technical stuff so that is not a reason to me. If you drive one with it, and I mean DRIVE it, not just around the block, you will want it. A search of this forum will show that many more people want it than not, and it seems the ones who do not want it did not buy a car that had it.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:43 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 713 Likes on 498 Posts

You have to drive both and see for yourself. The 911 is very nimble. The car drives really well around the Nurburgring without RAS so I would say that it is optional. If laying down a track time is the goal then maybe. Around town without it, you might have to k turn every note and then but she drives like a small cat in my opinion.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:08 AM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 275 Posts

I ordered my T without it and am still very pleased with my choice. RAS is amazing no doubt but for me I wanted simple so I skipped it. The car is amazing either way......
Old 04-30-2019, 01:16 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

"must" have? No, but SPASM is.

Nice to have? Of course? The car feels more nimble yet more stable. Sure, it is "artificial" but so are turbos, and those don't bother anyone on the T!

If you want a "pure" car, just order the base C2 manual with 18-ways and upgrade the suspension. You will save money and not pay for the T badge. People opt for the T either because of the cachet, or because they can get SPASM and RAS. SPASM can be easily beaten by a set of Ohlins. Or buy a C2S with the sport options and get more motor for the same money.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:18 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
If you have a 911 you already have a lot of technical stuff so that is not a reason to me. If you drive one with it, and I mean DRIVE it, not just around the block, you will want it. A search of this forum will show that many more people want it than not, and it seems the ones who do not want it did not buy a car that had it.
I had several people decline to buy my C2S because of RAS. I know, right! Too many "I don't know, don't understand the technology, don't trust it" folks. I am shocked at how conservative the 911 crowd can be; go buy a 993 already if you aren't ready to accept modern technology. The GT3 has run RAS for 5 years now and nobody is complaining!
Old 04-30-2019, 02:34 AM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 426 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
It's an interesting question that I don't believe has any right or wrong answer. It seems that purists believe the T should not have it as it's a basic 911 and this kind of trickery messes with the ethos of the car. On the other hand, guys like me ordered it because I think it's super cool and I like the reports of it driving like an older air-cooled. As my car has not yet arrived I really can't comment. Hang in here and others will chime in.

P.s. Good idea on picking up a T and your comment on the seats. I did NOT (somewhat regrettably) order the LWBS as I too wanted access to the back seats and instead opt'd for the 4WSS+. Good luck on your hunt!

I have found strong opinions both ways.... I agree with your assessment that there is no wrong answer.

My observations, after testing one with RAS and doing a track session at LA PEC on a T with RAS.
I was not going to add it when ordering and I did not get it on my car that I bought off a lot.
My reasons were to keep it simple and keep the car as basic as possible. Also wanting to downsize to 19” wheels at some point.

I had some doubt, because there are strong opinions on the option, but the car w/o RAS is awesome and handles great.

What makes it handle so great? PTV, Mechanical diff, SPASM? I honestly had to check my build sheet when I picked up my car that it did not have RAS...
It felt nearly identical to me and not lacking in any cornering ability for my uses. Not saying it is better, but I definitely did not feel like I made a mistake.

I highly recommend buying a T, RAS or no RAS! Do not let it keep you from buying this model, JMO, YMMV.

Quick Reply: Carrera T - Is RAS a must-have?