991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheee. Finally experienced the “rear engine spin out (on purpose)” in rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2022 | 01:53 AM
wicks
Rennlist Member

I just noticed that I need more wet practice. I'm a very quick driver in all my 911s, but this experience in the 993 just made me google and land on this page. 2nd gear uphill left turn in the wet, feeling confident in the car, put bit too much power on. When it came loose the car gave me nothing gradual to work with, was going backwards in a flash. The 73 doesn't behave this way, it gives me plenty of notice and a smoother transition away from traction. Maybe it's the narrow matching tires all around on that car, who knows. I never drive the 965 in the wet so have only dealt with that in the dry which is completely manageable. Lucky there was enough room on the road for a spin into where oncoming traffic luckily wasn't at that moment. Used to have so much fun in the rain when I drove BMWs haha.
Old 10-23-2022 | 11:37 AM
911T4ME
Rennlist Member

This is my first rear engine car. To be clear, I know to not throttle lift when losing the rear to oversteer (been there on Laguna Seca in my ND Miata), but am I really supposed to not countersteer in my 911 and turn away from the slide?
The following users liked this post:
jbendaou (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022 | 01:53 PM
Matt Britter
Rennlist Member

I second this, I have done the SoCal Pecla GT3 experience. I spent the most time in the wet circle and drift track, after you "feel" the under-over steer sequence at low speed it gets to be very controllable. Would not want to figure that out at the tire limit on normal asphalt.
Old 10-24-2022 | 04:13 AM
xstnte
Rennlist Member

Highly suggestion anyone who wants to improve their car control visit PEC LA or PEC Atlanta. Spending time on their skid pad has helped immensely.

View this post on Instagram

Quick Reply: Wheee. Finally experienced the “rear engine spin out (on purpose)” in rain