Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid question: GT3 vs base models - what are the actual mechanical differences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 11:18 PM
r2d2
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid question: GT3 vs base models - what are the actual mechanical differences?

So I've had my 991 C2 for awhile, but got to drive a 991.1 GT3 RS for the first time today on a route I know well, Angeles Crest Highway.

The GT3 RS was sublime, as I expected.

I was struck by how It felt like more than like a 991 on steroids.... it felt like a completely different car.

I don't have a engineering/automotive background, so this made me wonder... what are the *actual* mechanical/component differences between the GT-series and the regular Carreras? Beyond the obvious answers of the suspension, engine.

I've searched online, and most forum threads I get are just non-Porsche people trying to understand the 911 line-up...

Thanks for your time.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:37 AM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

GT3 owner here. In this instance I think the obvious answers you mention really are the most important. Most of what you felt was a result of the different engine/transmission and suspension. The other really big factor people often forget are the gigantic tires with a much stickier compound(s).

Many will say the aero and weight savings make a huge difference but imho those people are idiots (or work for Porsche). The weight savings are pretty small relative to the chunkiness modern 911s now carry, and unless you have a very special set of skills (that you wouldn't be able to exploit on Angeles Crest anyway) that aero is doing diddley squat. I think the result of the different drivetrain, suspension and tires eclipse any effect from either of these.

Aside from that they removed a lot of the sound deadening and tweaked the electronic steering (same underlying components I believe). It has a different front fascia that scrapes on everything and a modest-sized diffuser. It was sold with massive ADMs because it was "limited" but in reality they were making as many as they could sell.

That said it IS a freaking incredible car that shows just how good the underlying 991 platform is when exploited to its fullest.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:12 AM
ChristyT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by r2d2
So I've had my 991 C2 for awhile, but got to drive a 991.1 GT3 RS for the first time today on a route I know well, Angeles Crest Highway.

The GT3 RS was sublime, as I expected.

I was struck by how It felt like more than like a 991 on steroids.... it felt like a completely different car.

I don't have a engineering/automotive background, so this made me wonder... what are the *actual* mechanical/component differences between the GT-series and the regular Carreras? Beyond the obvious answers of the suspension, engine.

I've searched online, and most forum threads I get are just non-Porsche people trying to understand the 911 line-up...

Thanks for your time.
the substantial difference is (according to my GT-car owning friends): any Carrera is not a REAL Porsche. Only a GT3 or better is a REAL Porsche. Everything else is just mass market junk for poseurs....seriously. I am not making this stuff up! Go talk to some people at C&C; you will hear this!
Old 04-29-2019, 01:31 AM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Lol, wow the insecurity runs deep with with that group, reason number 5 million of why I don’t go to those events. Can people just enjoy what they have without being D%#Ks and bashing others. You should hear what Ferrari and Labo folks say about our “glorified VW Beetles” yes even the GT versions. I would love a GT car, but just can’t swing that at this point in life, too many other priorities, but I still do enjoy my posuer existence in my gasp, mass marketed “junk”, BASE model, LMAO.

Edit, forgot to add the word, junk, lol. I think fletch hit the nail on the head, I have also driven a GT3 on a track, no doubt more visceral experience, it’s a combination of many small and large differences. They are awesome.

Last edited by titan7; 04-29-2019 at 01:51 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:32 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,061 Likes on 5,252 Posts

Aside from engine (e.g. 9K redline, dry sump), and transmission (PDK-S), the GT3 gets a nearly all new suspension lifted largely from the Cup cars, as well as new uprights, bigger wheel bearings, adjustable anti-roll bars, more downforce and different aero package.

No backseats. Does that count as a mechanical difference?
Old 04-29-2019, 01:57 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Tires, forged wheels, CF fenders and hood. Basically the inner body shell (mostly, GT cars are missing mounts for rear seats), some of the interior bits and lots of little things are the same, but all the big stuff is different to varying degrees.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:17 AM
r2d2
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses guys!

Didn't know they shared the same/similar suspension as the cup cars. Neat.

Fletch, appreciate your perspective and great point about the 991 platform... pretty crazy what it can do at its full potential.

Titan7 - Yeah, I love my base model... its capabilities far exceed my abilities. I don't really hang out with car people, as I prefer spending my free time driving instead of talking about cars... so never had the chance to witness the cars and coffee snobfest as described. I will say that other Porsche drivers, GT or not, seem to be friendly in the canyons though (based off the hand waves we give each other).
Old 04-29-2019, 03:32 AM
chris2
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 43 Posts

Are C&Cs really that bad?

I've never been to one simply as a result of my poor scheduling skills, I've been meaning to head out to one soon but maybe I'll skip that idea if they're all about ego. I will say that most Porsche drivers have always been super friendly, stopping to chat when just driving around town or waving in the canyons. I've always appreciated the level of enthusiasm from other owners and I don't think a few snobs at a C&C could ruin that for me.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:15 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2

I've never been to one simply as a result of my poor scheduling skills, I've been meaning to head out to one soon but maybe I'll skip that idea if they're all about ego. I will say that most Porsche drivers have always been super friendly, stopping to chat when just driving around town or waving in the canyons. I've always appreciated the level of enthusiasm from other owners and I don't think a few snobs at a C&C could ruin that for me.
No. It must be that area (or, more accurately, the people in it). C & Cs are good times...
Old 04-29-2019, 04:16 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

I have not had any issue at C&C other than getting up that early and not drinking coffee ....

I have not taken my GT3 yet, but maybe next one I will. I find I usually have the most interest in the older cars that have been used. They guys with microfiber towels and quick detailer spray and I, regardless of what they drive, usually don’t have much in common. Sometimes, but not often.

Last edited by evilfij; 04-29-2019 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 04:31 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristyT
the substantial difference is (according to my GT-car owning friends): any Carrera is not a REAL Porsche. Only a GT3 or better is a REAL Porsche. Everything else is just mass market junk for poseurs....seriously. I am not making this stuff up! Go talk to some people at C&C; you will hear this!
Your GT car owning friends are idiots.

Also, if anything 95% of GT(991) car owners are the actual poseurs.. +/- 4%.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:38 AM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 364 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristyT
Yes mass market junk...
keep bringing resale values down I want to upgrade to a TURBO and thats not a GT car
Old 04-29-2019, 11:48 AM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Carrera's are for people who actually like to drive, where as GT3s are for people who care about garage decorations

Both usually come standard with ED and/or divorce attorneys. Depends on your profession.

On a serious note, both are completely different cars meant for completely different purposes. Carrera's are drivers, track weapons second. GT3s are track weapons first, drivers second.
Both can be used for the same activity (i.e. doing stuff with a car) but both will handle them differently.

Getting milk and bread in either car will be a similar experience. Going on a 800+ mile road trip will be different. A weekend on the track will be different. A Car's and Coffee may be different (depending on the crowd).

Go drive them.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:24 PM
kahane18
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Aatish
Carrera's are for people who actually like to drive, where as GT3s are for people who care about garage decorations

Both usually come standard with ED and/or divorce attorneys. Depends on your profession.

On a serious note, both are completely different cars meant for completely different purposes. Carrera's are drivers, track weapons second. GT3s are track weapons first, drivers second.
Both can be used for the same activity (i.e. doing stuff with a car) but both will handle them differently.

Getting milk and bread in either car will be a similar experience. Going on a 800+ mile road trip will be different. A weekend on the track will be different. A Car's and Coffee may be different (depending on the crowd).

Go drive them.

^^^^

What He Said!!

Completely Agree having owned both I prefer the GT cars just for the pure RAW nature of them.
Going to to grocery store takes the same effort just less comfy in a GT car.

Enjoy what makes you happy
Old 04-29-2019, 11:03 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,108 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2

My small town monthly C&C is great, very friendly and accommodating. We have to be, since to get a critical mass, maybe 30 to 40 cars on a good Saturday, the crowd includes Porsches (new and old), muscle cars, classic American iron, old pickups (really old, like Model A), odd Euro models, and the Subie contingent (and that includes both the WRX and off-road types).

Quick Reply: Stupid question: GT3 vs base models - what are the actual mechanical differences?