Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid question: GT3 vs base models - what are the actual mechanical differences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019 | 11:28 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

The opening scene of First Man reminded me of my first drive in my 997 GT3 after two base Carrera's . If you haven't seen the movie, try to crank this up on your home theatre.
Old 04-30-2019 | 12:02 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

You can daily drive anything.
Old 04-30-2019 | 01:06 AM
ChristyT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aatish
Carrera's are for people who actually like to drive, where as GT3s are for people who care about garage decorations

Both usually come standard with ED and/or divorce attorneys. Depends on your profession.

On a serious note, both are completely different cars meant for completely different purposes. Carrera's are drivers, track weapons second. GT3s are track weapons first, drivers second.
Both can be used for the same activity (i.e. doing stuff with a car) but both will handle them differently.

Getting milk and bread in either car will be a similar experience. Going on a 800+ mile road trip will be different. A weekend on the track will be different. A Car's and Coffee may be different (depending on the crowd).

Go drive them.
Oh yeah, I had a track day in a GT3! It blew me away, in a good way. The car was ridiculous. I have tracked other cars, but this was way beyond a Carrera on steroids.

Driving through town to get out to the track, not so much. As I need to do more in my car than just drive it fast at track events, I can't own one. No space and no cash for such a ride (we are taking over a E46 M3 with track setup).

I have heard the derogatory comments from GT car owners at C&C, but I actually hear it more from the GT3 forum here on this site. Bunch of poseurs over there. Sure, their car is fast, but are they? Put them in a Miata or RX7 against good drivers in similar cars and how do they fare? I suppose that is why I liked being a competitive runner: financial resources doesn't do squat for you, except get you to the race.
Old 04-30-2019 | 01:09 AM
ChristyT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aatish
Carrera's are for people who actually like to drive, where as GT3s are for people who care about garage decorations

Both usually come standard with ED and/or divorce attorneys. Depends on your profession.

On a serious note, both are completely different cars meant for completely different purposes. Carrera's are drivers, track weapons second. GT3s are track weapons first, drivers second.
Both can be used for the same activity (i.e. doing stuff with a car) but both will handle them differently.

Getting milk and bread in either car will be a similar experience. Going on a 800+ mile road trip will be different. A weekend on the track will be different. A Car's and Coffee may be different (depending on the crowd).

Go drive them.
Hey, question for you: my local mechanic (well regarded, especially in the air-cooled world) said that Carrera water-cooled engines (both the 1st-gen and the 991 non-turbo) are not designed to be tracked, and tracking/driving them hard is what leads to this bore scoring and premature wear. He says that they should not approach redline, even when warmed up. Is this right? I always was told that "every" porsche is essentially a version of a streetable race car and can be driven as such, with proper care taken with maintenance and warmup, of course. Tracking a car is hard on it, but will a few track days a year result in a motor rebuild in 4 years? Does anyone really know why bore scoring happens?

Then again, perhaps he was pulling crap out of his butt and figured that as a girl, I wouldn't know the difference
Old 04-30-2019 | 09:27 AM
MarkG123
Pro

Originally Posted by ChristyT
Hey, question for you: my local mechanic (well regarded, especially in the air-cooled world) said that Carrera water-cooled engines (both the 1st-gen and the 991 non-turbo) are not designed to be tracked, and tracking/driving them hard is what leads to this bore scoring and premature wear. He says that they should not approach redline, even when warmed up. Is this right? I always was told that "every" porsche is essentially a version of a streetable race car and can be driven as such, with proper care taken with maintenance and warmup, of course. Tracking a car is hard on it, but will a few track days a year result in a motor rebuild in 4 years? Does anyone really know why bore scoring happens?

Then again, perhaps he was pulling crap out of his butt and figured that as a girl, I wouldn't know the difference
You mechanic does not know what he is talking about in regards to approaching the redline and the tie to bore scoring. The 991 9A1 engine is very durable.
Old 04-30-2019 | 01:05 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkG123
You mechanic does not know what he is talking about in regards to approaching the redline and the tie to bore scoring. The 991 9A1 engine is very durable.
Doesn't the GT4 have a 9A1 from the 991.1 Carrera S??? Last I checked that was a track focused car and shares the engine of a standard Carrera S. That mechanic is a moron. I have tracked my 991.1 Carrera S several times and taken it to redline and my car has 65k miles and everything is running perfect. Just stay on top of maintenance and unless you are super unlucky, the car should easily run 100k miles plus!
Old 04-30-2019 | 01:18 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Tracking a car will increase wear. Every car is trackable to an extent. If you're worried about risking damage, don't track it.

Probably shouldn't redline when cold. Definitely want to run a car through it's rev range, to make sure everything is properly set.

A few track days should necessitate a motor rebuild.
Going full send, every other weekend, for 4 years straight will.

The skirt in your profile picture is very short. Not complaining. Just making an observation.
Your mechanic needs to focus more on cars it seems.
Old 04-30-2019 | 01:21 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Too much fake sugar!!!
You need milk.​​​​​​​

Originally Posted by evilfij
You can daily drive anything.
Old 04-30-2019 | 01:27 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, I had a track day in a GT3! It blew me away, in a good way. The car was ridiculous. I have tracked other cars, but this was way beyond a Carrera on steroids.

Driving through town to get out to the track, not so much. As I need to do more in my car than just drive it fast at track events, I can't own one. No space and no cash for such a ride (we are taking over a E46 M3 with track setup).

I have heard the derogatory comments from GT car owners at C&C, but I actually hear it more from the GT3 forum here on this site. Bunch of poseurs over there. Sure, their car is fast, but are they? Put them in a Miata or RX7 against good drivers in similar cars and how do they fare? I suppose that is why I liked being a competitive runner: financial resources doesn't do squat for you, except get you to the race.
GT3 guys who track a bros, usually. Don't really see them at C&C too often...usually the show piece crowd.

I like the GT3 and would daily one if it made sense...
Old 04-30-2019 | 01:46 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

I absolutely luuuuuuv my glorified Beetle!
Old 04-30-2019 | 01:55 PM
991.1GTS
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by titan7
Lol, wow the insecurity runs deep with with that group, reason number 5 million of why I don’t go to those events. Can people just enjoy what they have without being D%#Ks and bashing others. You should hear what Ferrari and Labo folks say about our “glorified VW Beetles” yes even the GT versions. I would love a GT car, but just can’t swing that at this point in life, too many other priorities, but I still do enjoy my posuer existence in my gasp, mass marketed “junk”, BASE model, LMAO.

Edit, forgot to add the word, junk, lol. I think fletch hit the nail on the head, I have also driven a GT3 on a track, no doubt more visceral experience, it’s a combination of many small and large differences. They are awesome.
^well said
Old 04-30-2019 | 02:43 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

My short answer:
- make sure that oil and water temperature are above 185°F before “driving it like you stole.” No heavy load (>50% throttle) and extended high rpm (> 4k) until those temps.
- track issues: people don’t use the warm-up lap to *warm*up*. They just get out on the track after a few minutes of idling and beat the $h1+ out of it. Thus, heavy load and high rpm before those temps are reached.

Pay attention to those and, if on street tires, you can do some track days in the lower groups with no worries.

Also, always do ‘spirited driving’ in sport (or sport plus mode if you can stand it) as that mode keeps the oil cooler than normal mode.

More than you ever wanted to know about bore scoring: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...engines-3.html
Old 05-01-2019 | 12:56 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

There is no sugar in that cart! All diet and zero! I don’t drink sugar (or milk).

As far as tracking, even four years of tracking does not seem to harm GT cars. There are some folks on the GT board with tens of thousands of track miles. Air cooled Porsches and GT cars (with the exception of the GT4) are dry sumo engines. Other not so much. That’s probably what your mechanic was referring to.

Quick Reply: Stupid question: GT3 vs base models - what are the actual mechanical differences?