Sponsored by:

Map Update

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 06:17 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 665 Likes on 353 Posts

UPDATE 2

Drove to the dealership today (260 mile round trip....).

1) On the first run they that took three or more hours, they ran the update disk, used the enable code (the code that is in the package has to be entered to another computer by the service manager who is the only one with access in order to get the actual code to be entered to the PWIS) and then updated to 7.76 from 4.52. According to them all the steps were successful, but when we looked at the display, it still showed 4.52 and the map did not seem to have updated based on the history screen.
2) We then ran the update disk again and entered the update code (while connected to PWIS) and everything seem to go ok but the map update did not seem to have gone through. Here is the history display after this:

3) A second service tech started to read the instructions and he noted that there is a THIRD step requiring a shop disc use. They looked for that disc and could not find it. After checking with the parts department,
it was noted that it is a brand new disc that is not in stock in the US yet (anywhere). So they ordered it from Germany - 7-10 days to arrive. They will mail it to me to loan when they get it to see if that fixes the issue
for the maps and possibly brings the PCM back to 4.76.

Quite an ordeal.... Here is a picture of the discs (only one of the three being used) and the tab pulled showing the initial code that is used to obtain the actual PWIS entry code:

Saga continues....
Old 05-01-2019, 06:32 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Map updates

I have all the same useless discs. I do not want to revert from 4.76 to 4.52. My SA tells me to stay away from this. I have called PCNA and they admit the discs are useless and promise me a refund. It has been two weeks and I have received nothing. PCNA is worthless for help. Though I love my current 991 GTS, I will never buy another Porsche based on their lying promises.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:56 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Same story here, basically -- I've asked the SAs at the local dealership about map updates a couple of times, and have always been advised to hold off.

The dealers know that Porsche's telematics people screwed the pooch on this, and they also know that they will get blamed for the consequences. It's not in their nature to discourage people from spending money in the service department, so when they do, I'm inclined to believe them.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:06 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

So if we wait for the additional disk then the update should work?

Does the map update add any additional functionality like being able to easily search by POI name that's in a different zip code from your current location?
Old 05-01-2019, 07:09 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

This is a bummer. Sorry to the guinea pigs out there, but you’ve saved us all some money and headache.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:43 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by maxpowers

Does the map update add any additional functionality like being able to easily search by POI name that's in a different zip code from your current location?
I will post an update once I get the “shop disc” that is required in step three. Shoul have it in a week or two as it comes from Germany.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:41 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,229 Likes on 743 Posts

You'd think in this day and age of technology and computers, Porsche would be able to do a simple map update. Guess not. So sad.

What got me is when you said, "A second service tech started to read the instructions . . ." You would have figured the FIRST tech performing the update would have done that! Guess that was asking too much.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:50 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 54 Posts

I really need map updates - mine is still rocking 2014 maps - so once this whole process is sorted out please update the thread.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:53 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers

You can do that now by changing the search location in the NAV menu. It gives you several options to search at your present location, destination, along the route, or a different city.

If you have the ONLINE SERVICES option in your car, or get it as a dealer software upgrade (about $200), you can also search using Google. Works way better than the normal PCM search since the PCM search is dependent on the Map updates and those can be several years old. I use the Google search instead and it it very good. You use it in conjunction with the Aha app on your plugged in smart phone that also gives you Yelp searches for food, hotels, and weather. Aha also gives you internet radio.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:16 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
You can do that now by changing the search location in the NAV menu. It gives you several options to search at your present location, destination, along the route, or a different city.

If you have the ONLINE SERVICES option in your car, or get it as a dealer software upgrade (about $200), you can also search using Google. Works way better than the normal PCM search since the PCM search is dependent on the Map updates and those can be several years old. I use the Google search instead and it it very good. You use it in conjunction with the Aha app on your plugged in smart phone that also gives you Yelp searches for food, hotels, and weather. Aha also gives you internet radio.
Does this require a extra SIM chip, or is it really just by having online services? I might be doing something wrong but I don’t see an option for searching google maps and I know the car is equipped with this option. Thanks! -Dom
Old 05-01-2019, 10:25 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
Does this require a extra SIM chip, or is it really just by having online services? I might be doing something wrong but I don’t see an option for searching google maps and I know the car is equipped with this option. Thanks! -Dom
No Sim card required, only a smartphone, Online Services Option, and the Aha App installed on your phone

If you have Apple
1. Download the "Aha" app from the App store
2. Connect your phone to the USB plug in the glove box
3. Your car should start the Aha app automatically. If not, manually start the App
4. You will know it worked if you see "Aha ready" on the lower left of the PCM or by pushing the SOURCE button and seeing "Aha" as an option as it can be used as a radio source for songs, books, etc

When you push NAV>POI, it will give you a choice between PCM and ONLINE (I thin that's what it says). Select the "ONLINE' and you will see a search screen that says, "powered by Google"

http://www.aharadio.com/what-is-aha/in-your-car/porsche
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUAHA.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...installed.html

Good Luck
Old 05-01-2019, 10:27 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

No Sim card required, only a smartphone, Online Services Option, and the Aha App installed on your phone

If you have Apple
1. Download the "Aha" app from the App store
2. Connect your phone to the USB plug in the glove box
3. Your car should start the Aha app automatically. If not, manually start the App
4. You will know it worked if you see "Aha ready" on the lower left of the PCM or by pushing the SOURCE button and seeing "Aha" as an option as it can be used as a radio source for songs, books, etc

When you push NAV>POI, it will give you a choice between PCM and ONLINE (I thin that's what it says). Select the "ONLINE' and you will see a search screen that says, "powered by Google"

http://www.aharadio.com/what-is-aha/in-your-car/porsche
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUAHA.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...installed.html

Good Luck
GREAT info! Many thanks! Will try out this weekend!
Old 05-08-2019, 06:05 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Dealer called. They have to order the base updated maps DVDs that they pay for. Should be in today or tomorrow. Then they can load the new maps and unlock them with the code from the map update I purchased. Should be good to go this weekend. They said it will be no problem getting back to 4.76
Old 05-08-2019, 06:21 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Dealer called. They have to order the base updated maps DVDs that they pay for. Should be in today or tomorrow. Then they can load the new maps and unlock them with the code from the map update I purchased. Should be good to go this weekend. They said it will be no problem getting back to 4.76
Thanks for the update! Is what you purchased the same as what is pictured in my post (#31) in this thread? I wonder if what your dealer has to order is the same item my dealer stated they had to order from Germany in order to complete the third step in the installation process. Once you are getting yours done, can you confirm with your dealer what the steps are and what is required in completing each step. I think my dealer is still somewhat unsure how this process works. So far they state they have loaded the disc (PCM 3.1 Multimedia Update DIsc) that came in the update box and have used to key to unlock.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:45 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shammerman
Thanks for the update! Is what you purchased the same as what is pictured in my post (#31) in this thread? I wonder if what your dealer has to order is the same item my dealer stated they had to order from Germany in order to complete the third step in the installation process. Once you are getting yours done, can you confirm with your dealer what the steps are and what is required in completing each step. I think my dealer is still somewhat unsure how this process works. So far they state they have loaded the disc (PCM 3.1 Multimedia Update DIsc) that came in the update box and have used to key to unlock.
yes...the license key is what I bought. I'll see what they did exactly.

Quick Reply: Map Update