Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 PowerKit - are the gains noticeable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019 | 01:20 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Default 991.2 PowerKit - are the gains noticeable?

So....

At this point it's kind of an idle thought - I'm not (yet) seriously planning on installing an 3.0S PowerKit on my 991.2 Carrera S. However, I *would* like to get some people's feedback on it - particularly those who have installed the PowerKit. Are the gains actually that noticeable on the street or on the track? Do you feel that it was worthwhile purely from a power perspective (let's forget about the maintaining the warranty part of things for the purposes of this discussion) - I know there are other options out there w.r.t. ECU tunes, and other options w.r.t. 3rd party turbo replacements, but I'd really like to confine this to just what people's experience with the PowerKit is like.

For some context, I recently drove a 991.2 Carrera GTS (both PDK and manual) at the Porsche Track Experience at Barber. I am now driving my (still-very-new-to-me) 991.2 S MT, and am continuously amazed at just how fast the thing is. I honestly at this point have no real ability to compare it to the GTS that I drove on track - both because it wasn't back-to-back and because it was on a track vs. on the street. For those that have it, do you feel that the slightly later onset of torque is a detriment to it, or do you just not notice it?
Old 04-21-2019 | 01:50 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Hmm..... if I may pose a question back to you. If there is a clear highway on-ramp in front of you what, percentage of the time do you floor it? If it's more often than not, go for the power kit. If it's more often that you do not go full throttle, then I would say you don't really WANT the extra power. There is no NEED for the extra power. So I ask the question to determine your mentality. If the mentality is, I always want more power, then the answer is easy. I've been modding cars for over 20 years, so I have that go-fast bug. To me, it doesn't sound like you're there yet because this is an absolute no-brainer to my power hungry mentality. But of course, once the mod bug bites... it'll ruin you for life. Having said all that, you can install the X51 kit which gets you the bigger GTS turbos which carry power way better on the top end than the S turbos once you do tune the car. You can also install headers that will improve the spool-up and transient of the turbos, at least partially if not completely offsetting the lag of the larger turbos.
Old 04-21-2019 | 02:12 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

I'd get the power kit. I test drove a 991.2 S and a 991.2 GTS back to back, and I decided on the GTS. I like power so it was a no brainer. As spdracerut stated, swap out the headers (sport cats also-highly recommended) and you'll have even more power, not to mention a better sounding exhaust. The next step is a stage II ECU tune. If you don't want these bolt-ons, then the easiest and cheapest way to achieve most power gain will probably come from a simple stage I tune.
Old 04-21-2019 | 02:33 PM
good2go
Pro

Go test drive GTS. You will have the exact same power.

I have C4S with PowerKit and I love it.

Even if if you look at 3 party tunes the larger turbos will add value.
Old 04-21-2019 | 02:42 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Track or DD? Here's my perspective on the daily driver use case: After 9k miles on my daily driver 991.2 C4S I had the X51 upgrade installed. The torque comes on just a bit later in the rev range, and once it arrives the car pulls noticeably harder. I found this to be an improvement in day to day driving since in my part of the world the roads are frequently cold and wet and I'd feel the tires clawing for traction far too often if I was too quick on the throttle. With the X51 there was less torque at low speeds to break the tires free but plenty of torque when I want it - and if I want boost on tap there's Sport+. No regrets.
Old 04-21-2019 | 03:41 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by digits
Track or DD? Here's my perspective on the daily driver use case: After 9k miles on my daily driver 991.2 C4S I had the X51 upgrade installed. The torque comes on just a bit later in the rev range, and once it arrives the car pulls noticeably harder. I found this to be an improvement in day to day driving since in my part of the world the roads are frequently cold and wet and I'd feel the tires clawing for traction far too often if I was too quick on the throttle. With the X51 there was less torque at low speeds to break the tires free but plenty of torque when I want it - and if I want boost on tap there's Sport+. No regrets.
It's definitely going to see the track and autocross. Interesting on the Sport+ - does it keep the turbos spooled up more than Sport or "Normal" modes?
Old 04-21-2019 | 04:38 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by enzotcat
It's definitely going to see the track and autocross. Interesting on the Sport+ - does it keep the turbos spooled up more than Sport or "Normal" modes?
Yes. Porsche basically has an anti-lag system that activates in sport+. Edit: Called Dynamic boost. So all it does is it cuts fuel when you lift off the throttle but it keeps the throttle plate open. So the engine is still pumping air helping to keep the turbo speed up so that when you get back into the throttle, there's less lag. The downside is less engine braking.
Old 04-21-2019 | 06:45 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Yes. Porsche basically has an anti-lag system that activates in sport+. Edit: Called Dynamic boost. So all it does is it cuts fuel when you lift off the throttle but it keeps the throttle plate open. So the engine is still pumping air helping to keep the turbo speed up so that when you get back into the throttle, there's less lag. The downside is less engine braking.
Good to know, thanks - I've only had the car 2 weeks, so I'm still getting used to it. It makes me sad (not really) that sport+ doesn't have the lift-off burbles that sport mode does.
Old 04-23-2019 | 12:27 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

7% more HP and 10% more torque. It was worth every penny for me. I'm a WOT guy any chance I get, if I think there is a low probability of a ticket.
X51 provides lots more boost across the rev range, and it's great in the upper rev range.
I'm not a 7th gear guy, and like to cruise at 2500-3000. My C2S with X51 PowerKit has gravitas. And its ready for the big tune to 540 Hp and 480 ft-lbs when you are ready for it.
And the cost is still reasonable, with some sale prices on the kit still available. After selling my take - off turbos with 1400 miles to a Socal runner, my net X51 installed cost was $3800 + tax. If your carpet has a dent in it under the gas pedal like mine does, go for it!
Old 04-23-2019 | 06:29 PM
3Kweave
Track Day

I initially test drove 991.2 C2, c4s, and 991.2 C2 GTS. I ended up with a C4S with the X51. I loved the powertrain in the GTS. Even though the c2 is a very fast car, I felt like it could use some more power. I love the X51. The C4s is fast but I felt like it was missing something compared to the GTS. I daily drive my car and there is a lot of stop and go traffic. The x51 is extremely livable as a daily driving car. Driving the car in normal traffic at low speed it is very comfortable. When you get on the power it really goes. Price aside, I don't see any downside to the x51. I can't imagine that you would regret getting it. Conversely you could always get a stage 1 or 2 tune. I like the x51 because it keeps everything OEM. I would be a little considered with a tune about potential warranty issues, but that's just me. So TLDR: x51 is awesome, get it.
Old 04-23-2019 | 09:18 PM
enzotcat
Pro

Good feedback all. Keep it coming - interesting about the net cost after selling turbos. My 911S has about 7,000 miles on it, and I really like the idea of keeping everything OEM and keeping the warranty intact. I think I'll investigate the sale prices a little more ...

Anyone else got any experience with selling 911 S takeoff turbos?
Old 04-23-2019 | 11:43 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Search this forum and I am sure you can find some threads but I think someone got about $2k for his takeoff turbos.
Old 04-24-2019 | 11:26 AM
Tpup
Rennlist Member

Thanks for starting this thread, great info! I'm also considering the upgrade on my 991.2 4S Cab.
Old 04-24-2019 | 11:57 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Search this forum and I am sure you can find some threads but I think someone got about $2k for his takeoff turbos.
$2000 is a good deal for both, especially if they had some miles on them. I got $3200 for my S turbos but they had only 1400 miles and I had the Porsche shop receipt to prove that. The tuner was happy to get them at that price. Lots of base and T owners out there wanting to upgrade and tune with S turbos.
I've seen $4000 for S turbos but that is a bit high. It has to be a good deal for buyer and seller. I haven't read about any Turbo failures yet, so they do seem durable in the 991.2 applications.
Sunset had the X51 kit for $5040 at one time. It pays to shop around. My dealer Svc Mgr matched the best prices I could find. Recently, Suncoast reportedly will install for $1000, but i did not verify that price. Best installation price I found last year for mine was $1800.

Last edited by PCA1983; 05-06-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-23-2019 | 04:32 AM
Beldar
6th Gear

Unhappy New 991.2 build had power kit deleted without notice

I ordered a new 991.2 C4S with "sport package with 3.0 S power kit" build code P3Q. It was delivered without the power kit and just the sport package. I have been waiting a couple days for a call back from the sales manager. I heard from a guy at a tune shop I called that he can not order the power kit for the 991.2s anymore. I am a pretty upset, might have gone with a GTS...or skipped sport chrono since it is a manual etc. I think an undisclosed change like this is pretty outrageous considering how carefully we all think about our build specs. Anyone know what the deal is? If the GTS can run at 450HP why would there be a technical issue on the C4S? I was never informed of the deletion on my build and it took me a while to figure it out. The cost of the car was about 7000 less but that got buried with the sales tax and all the other costly dealer add ons. Any feedback would be appreciated. Not sure what I can do at this point. I would be willing to buy the kit and have it installed if I could source one for the 991.2 C4S.

Quick Reply: 991.2 PowerKit - are the gains noticeable?