Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 PowerKit - are the gains noticeable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 09:01 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Beldar
I ordered a new 991.2 C4S with "sport package with 3.0 S power kit" build code P3Q. It was delivered without the power kit and just the sport package. I have been waiting a couple days for a call back from the sales manager. I heard from a guy at a tune shop I called that he can not order the power kit for the 991.2s anymore. I am a pretty upset, might have gone with a GTS...or skipped sport chrono since it is a manual etc. I think an undisclosed change like this is pretty outrageous considering how carefully we all think about our build specs. Anyone know what the deal is? If the GTS can run at 450HP why would there be a technical issue on the C4S? I was never informed of the deletion on my build and it took me a while to figure it out. The cost of the car was about 7000 less but that got buried with the sales tax and all the other costly dealer add ons. Any feedback would be appreciated. Not sure what I can do at this point. I would be willing to buy the kit and have it installed if I could source one for the 991.2 C4S.
If you haven't already, I would certainly hold off on taking delivery until the issue is resolved, or at least you've come to terms with the deletion. Search this forum, Porsche stopped selling the Power Kit recently. No one pinned down the reason. Best of luck for a good outcome.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:00 AM
Beldar
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got this information from Suncoast parts today. I am more hopeful now. I already took delivery, never told about the deletion.

"Jeffrey,
Porsche decided to stop sale on the X51 power kit. As far as we know they will be available next year but for now that's all the information we have on the item.
Thank you and please let me know if you've any other questions."
Old 10-23-2019, 12:01 PM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

I ordered a new 991.2 C4S with "sport package with 3.0 S power kit" build code P3Q. It was delivered without the power kit and just the sport package. I have been waiting a couple days for a call back from the sales manager. I heard from a guy at a tune shop I called that he can not order the power kit for the 991.2s anymore. I am a pretty upset, might have gone with a GTS...or skipped sport chrono since it is a manual etc. I think an undisclosed change like this is pretty outrageous considering how carefully we all think about our build specs. Anyone know what the deal is? If the GTS can run at 450HP why would there be a technical issue on the C4S? I was never informed of the deletion on my build and it took me a while to figure it out. The cost of the car was about 7000 less but that got buried with the sales tax and all the other costly dealer add ons. Any feedback would be appreciated. Not sure what I can do at this point. I would be willing to buy the kit and have it installed if I could source one for the 991.2 C4S.
I would not take delivery. how can they sell you a car you didn’t order?
Old 10-23-2019, 12:06 PM
rwsteelers
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Epic fail by your dealer. When did you place the order, PK was taken off the on-line build options in the spring, the day after Porsche Germany told my dealer they couldn’t build it. With help of Porsche NA I was able to secure a GTS build. At this point I doubt that option is available. Not sure when 991.2 production ends or ended but has to be soon.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:46 PM
Beldar
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Order was placed early January.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:59 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
I would not take delivery. how can they sell you a car you didn’t order?

Wow.. that is some lack of communication to say the least. If you didnt pop the hood, how would you know otherwise until you've already taken the car and if not days/weeks after.

Just to clarify, you specs the X51 kit, paid for it, got the car per your build less the X51 PK or did you get any of the parts like engine bay cover? Regardless if you took delivery, I would have the dealer get the power kit and install it all at no charge. Keep your old turbos too
Old 10-23-2019, 05:33 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,061 Likes on 533 Posts

Not sure if this helps. But I went from a 991.2 911 S to the 991.2 911 GTS and heres my scoop on the power.

I actually think my 911 S was funner to drive on the streets. I seem to think it was "snappier" from the hole shot and overall funner to drive than my 911 GTS.

Is the GTS faster? HELL YES. Do I notice it? YES I DO. Is it worth it? Depends on what you want.

The 911 S was snappy and fun from red light to red light. My GTS is fun too, but the power difference is really towards the upper RPMS. So for daily driving fun I found my 911 S to be much more fun to drive.

If I was driving highway speeds more, or tracking more, I would totally want the added power. But after owning an S and a GTS, I have no problem going back into an S. I live in socal, so I dont get long roads to stretch the GTS's legs. The S just seemed to fit my driving style better.

Maybe Im crazy. But I was happier with how the S performed FROM A DAILY driver in SOCAL standpoint. Maybe it was how the smaller turbos kick in, the tune, the lighter weight of the S. I dont know. Im just saying my 911 S was a hoot to drive to and from work. Where my GTS feels more like a mostly high speed sledge hammer.

So for me, I would not buy the kit myself. I like how the stock 911 S turbos spool.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:41 PM
rwsteelers
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Order was placed early January.
I was called the day car went to build, that was back in March , that no more PK’s. There is a thread on this elsewhere in the forum. It was well known to dealers. Why did it take so long to build your car given a January order?

When this happened to me they offered extended maintenance and obviously the price difference initially. Then worked it through PNA to get the GTS slot which at the time there weren’t any available.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:44 AM
DHL
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Not sure if this helps. But I went from a 991.2 911 S to the 991.2 911 GTS and heres my scoop on the power.

I actually think my 911 S was funner to drive on the streets. I seem to think it was "snappier" from the hole shot and overall funner to drive than my 911 GTS.

Is the GTS faster? HELL YES. Do I notice it? YES I DO. Is it worth it? Depends on what you want.

The 911 S was snappy and fun from red light to red light. My GTS is fun too, but the power difference is really towards the upper RPMS. So for daily driving fun I found my 911 S to be much more fun to drive.

If I was driving highway speeds more, or tracking more, I would totally want the added power. But after owning an S and a GTS, I have no problem going back into an S. I live in socal, so I dont get long roads to stretch the GTS's legs. The S just seemed to fit my driving style better.

Maybe Im crazy. But I was happier with how the S performed FROM A DAILY driver in SOCAL standpoint. Maybe it was how the smaller turbos kick in, the tune, the lighter weight of the S. I dont know. Im just saying my 911 S was a hoot to drive to and from work. Where my GTS feels more like a mostly high speed sledge hammer.

So for me, I would not buy the kit myself. I like how the stock 911 S turbos spool.
Interesting perspective. I too have a Carrera S and this car is bloody fast. Was considering the X51 but I am also in SoCal (well Central Coast) and I use WOT for quick passing on country roads, so I really don't want any more lag. Maybe I'll just keep mine stock for the time being. Am also fitting HRE R101 Lightweight wheels which could improve acceleration response even more.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:32 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

I think a tune on smaller turbo cars is a better answer on the street for fast spool up. My concern is whether the tunes out there are truly solid at this point.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:07 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 649 Likes on 311 Posts

This is why a Carrera T, especially with a Pro tune is so sweet. Kinda get the best of both worlds and then some!
Old 10-25-2019, 09:00 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

Interesting. I've debated about getting the Power Kit and what you are saying above is why I never pulled the trigger. Even went to the PEC to try the GTS. I love the responsiveness of my 4S versus the power of the bigger turbos, but then again my car is a daily driver.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:04 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 215 Posts

I test drove the S, T , and the TT before going with the GTS. No doubt, both the S and the T are fun to drive but “snappier” than the GTS....I don’t think so. JMHO. I have high flow cats and headers on mine, so that might be why. I’m probably biased but I’d go with the power kit if I went with the S.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:37 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S
Interesting. I've debated about getting the Power Kit and what you are saying above is why I never pulled the trigger. Even went to the PEC to try the GTS. I love the responsiveness of my 4S versus the power of the bigger turbos, but then again my car is a daily driver.
Just high flow cats alone will improve the GTS power delivery, which is what I did.
The following users liked this post:
Soul Performance (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 03:48 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,061 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I test drove the S, T , and the TT before going with the GTS. No doubt, both the S and the T are fun to drive but “snappier” than the GTS....I don’t think so. JMHO. I have high flow cats and headers on mine, so that might be why. I’m probably biased but I’d go with the power kit if I went with the S.
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Just high flow cats alone will improve the GTS power delivery, which is what I did.

I have soul sport cats on my GTS to combat that too. And that did help A LOT. My 2017 911 S was a narrow body too. But I can clearly feel a drivers experience difference between to the two. The GTS is very fast. But the S power band was indeed snappier feeling red light to red light. In my 911 S I would hear my baby turbos spooling up so much sooner. And I just liked how it drove.

To me, the 911 S felt like it was setup like a 1/4th mile car.
And the 911 GTS felt like a 1/2 mile car.

They just drive differently to me.

Im not trying to hate on my GTS. Im not trying to say the GTS isnt worth it. But I personally like how the S power is delivered to the road on STREET use. Thats all guys. I find myself going too fast in the GTS and it all hits in the mid to top end where I dont get to be in much due to socal traffic.
The following users liked this post:
Soul Performance (10-25-2019)

Quick Reply: 991.2 PowerKit - are the gains noticeable?