Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the GTS noticeably more comfortable then GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 05:42 PM
MBLocal
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the Limerock - awesome color!

Originally Posted by Bemo
Thrashing newer M's is fully warranted given the awful direction that the company is taking.
Handling, looks and sounds are total poop.
That said I paid new M money last year, to secure a 5yr old E92 Limerock Edition...not even the 991.1 GTS could dissuade me from it!
So the, old, magic is still alive with the M2 having some limited potential. BMW can still reverse course, it's not too late.

In the meantime I need to stop thinking about a GT3 and focus more on driving the GTS. But that's what a sick automotive mind does and this forum doesn't help matters one bit!
Old 04-22-2019, 07:15 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Actually agree here, but for the M3. Every time I see one in gray (I know, I know), I dig it. I think it's a very good looking four-door—with the M4 not far behind (for me). Just wish they were a better drive.
I disagree wholeheartedly and blame the Audi guy who ran the division until recently, for screwing up the looks.
First the front hood cut looks like a lobotomy job gone bad and I'm being polite. Then we have the angular headlights...gone are the traditional round halos which to me are one of the most recognizable features of the brand. Pixilated digital gauges round out the disappointment on the inside and if you decide to look the other way, worry not for the fake exhaust music coming through the speakers is sure to please you not! Assuming you've made it this far you proceed to start the motor and are immediately greeted by sound that resembles a metal can rolling on the driveway. When you finally take off and gun it away to leave all these things behind, you realize the car can't put down its power efficiently and you're spinning wheels in 2nd and 3rd gear. Then you swear off the whole package and buy a 911. Literally my experience!

Thanks for reading and if you choose to rip me a new one, I will gladly take the criticism!
Old 04-22-2019, 08:57 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

^ No worries—styling is a super personal deal. I like the way the current M3 looks in some colors. Just can't deal with the way it drives (so at least we're aligned on that!).
Old 04-22-2019, 09:00 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

^ No worries—styling is a super personal deal. I like the way the current M3 looks in some colors. Just can't deal with the way it drives (so at least we're aligned on that!).
Agreed!!
By the way I neglected to mention their cardinal sin, abandoning large displacement naturally aspirated engines!

I sure hope you're right that the future is different than just turbo motors and electrification!
Old 04-22-2019, 09:42 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Actually agree here, but for the M3. Every time I see one in gray (I know, I know), I dig it. I think it's a very good looking four-door—with the M4 not far behind (for me). Just wish they were a better drive.
Yes, Pete, I agree. I get tired of writing M3/M4, so I just write M4 so that no one will confuse generations. But the f80 M3 four-door is a gorgeous sport sedan. I'm more of a two-door sports car guy (hence my e92s and no e90) so I'd give the edge to the M4, but it's close for me as the rear wheel flares on the f80 M3 are eye-catching. Actually, I came somewhat close to pulling the trigger on an f80 M3 in grigio telesto individual paint at the end of the f80 run (speaking of dashing grey f80 M3s), but I had my GT3 due to arrive in less than a month and it just didn't make sense, space-wise. Had it been grigio medio, I might not have been able to resist.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:41 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Yeah, I agree in that looks are the least of the M3/M4's problems. I actually find something about the 4 Series exterior to be inherently awkward (like the platform they used is too long so they had to stretch out the greenhouse too much or something) but then sometimes I think it looks pretty beautiful. Once you're acclimated to a 911's exotic architecture, you notice how these sedan-based coupes are literally sedans made to look like coupes. Squared off rears, etc.

I thought the last 6 Series is a gorgeous car, just unfortunately fat, bloated therefore clumsy. I saw a new 8 Series on the road and thought it was the new Infiniti coupe. Completely lost the "Germanic" hierarchy bit as it looks completely Japanese. It's insanely long and ungainly, just too big for a coupe. The greenhouse especially suffers from the "awkward massive stretch out effect." It's like there's a mile of window behind the driver, which looks funny.

The thing about BMW's, is they used to look good, ALWAYS. In that they were simple, holistic, and harmonious. No coincidence that nobody in their right mind would say they ever topped the E39 and E46 since they released them. Now? It's cars like the 4 and 8 Series' where sometimes they look cunning and good, and sometimes just "not right." They're hard to figure out. But I do think the M4 overall can look very nice especially in the right outfits.

As for the F80 M3, I think it's a great looking sedan, other than the crap interior, and the new 3 Series is an absolute home run in design. It's simple, clean, classic BMW. Unfortunately, it's also bigger, longer and probably will be even more disconnected in drive, so once again, that stomps on the "classic BMW" bit. It's like they're just trying to impersonate their heydey and it comes off as disingenuous, or confused.

As for the fake sounds piped in, horrendous actual sounds and the sloppy chassis on the M3/M4 that can't even hold their own power? Pathetic from BMW.

Then you have the new M5. I thought my F10 5 Series was beautiful, one of the nicest sedan designs ever. The drawbacks? Again, massive, bloated, soulless in drive (although an excellent appliance, sort of the car I felt my old Benzes wished they could be but utterly failed at.... in that it was very serene, quiet, well appointed, felt premium, and had enough classic BMW DNA in it to make it feel remotely fun and spirited, at least compared to M-B snoozefests). I feel the new 5 looks like a more generic, soulless and Japanese version of the previous 5. The new M5 gets high marks, however, and destroys even a 991.2 GTS in acceleration (and if I'm remembering correctly, The Grand Tour got it to a better track time than a 991.2 C4S). That is a remarkable achievement. But whether BMW can build a fast car that can put up fast track times to impress magazines isn't my issue or question. It's whether they can do that and emit a semblance of the soul and passion they once could, from cars that were far slower, yet far better.

Quick Reply: Is the GTS noticeably more comfortable then GT3