991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera T vs 991.1 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019 | 05:23 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

i did not keep my carrera t long. was a good grocery getter but the novelty wore off and the car just doesn't compare to my gt3 or any of my gt cars...nor was it meant to do so.

Last edited by Bobby 911; 12-11-2019 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2019 | 11:38 AM
Craig
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Apple and orange. The T is a daily driver that would be fun to take to the track. The GT3 a track car that you can use on the street. Porsche has made them superb for their primary purpose and damn good for their secondary purpose. If your concern is depreciation, look for an older car.
Precisely!
Old 04-15-2019 | 03:38 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Lots of good advice and thoughts here. Let me add my two cents if I may.

GT3 is amazing. PDK-S is stupidly fast. The chassis feels incredible. The engine...well, where to even begin. Every drive will feel like an adventure. Unfortunately, you'll also want to USE that engine. And to hear it rip to 9k. Which will end up with you in jail, in a ditch, or something worse, LOL Hyperbole, but you get what I mean. Seriously, after a few hits of that 9k Redline you'll be addicted and you'll likely be bored running it and shifting at 3,500 RPM. You can almost hear the car yawn at slow speeds.

The T, on the other hand, has that Porsche magic to it. It's a delight to drive fast OR slow. The turbo torque means you can tap into the performance at more sane speeds. Whatever they did to change a normal Carrera into a Carrera T, it works. It's just an enjoyable car to be in.

If you can live with yourself for passing on a GT3, and can stomach the depreciation you'll hit with the T, sounds like that's your choice.

Sean Groer on the GT3 forum has owned multiple 991 GT3's, GT3 RS's (I think maybe 4 in total of those if not 5) and also a GT2 RS. And a Carrera T. And he LOVES his T. He may have even said that if he had to stick with one, it would be the T (I think, don't quote me).

Also, a direct comparison to a GT3 Touring here.

Old 04-15-2019 | 03:49 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chioke
Hello everyone,

I've been a lurker here for a while and just wanted your advice on two perspective 911s, as the title suggests.

I am lucky enough to find myself in the position to get either a 991.1 gt3 or a Carrera t. The car will most likely be used as a weekend warrior/back road/canyon car, with maybe a track day or two each year. I have heard nothing but good things about the Carrera t, and love the fact that the model at my local Porsche center is configured with a manual transmission. My main concern is that this Porsche center configured it like a 911R (obviously without the gt3s engine). Why this is a concern is that it is only $10k (CAD) less than the two used 991.1 GT3s they have in stock, and the T has a good chunk a few options I would not have selected, namely the PCCBs. At this price, it seems like the T will take a much more significant hit than the GT3s would, whenever I trade it in for a 992 in a few years. Though there are next to no used 911 Ts for sale in Canada, so I cannot really gauge what sort of depreciation hit I would take.

The only things stopping me from immediately buying one of the GT3s (since they likely make more financial sense) is the low approach angle (my driveway is sloped at 10 degrees), and the fact that the GT3s are not in manual.

Am I crazy for trying to decide between two very different cars? Which one would you go with?

Sorry for all the newb questions, I look forward to reading the replies.

Cheers
PCCBs are pretty cool. And they are lighter, which fits the brief. Otherwise, if I was speccing a T, I wouldn't get anything in it. Bare bones. A loaded T doesn't seem right.
Old 12-10-2019 | 02:27 AM
caciquemd
Advanced

Default 991.2 C2S vs. 991.2 GT3

Well... I have driven both on the street but I own the C2S and have driven it at the track.

Buddy of mine sold his 991.1 GTS and upgraded to 991.2 GTS. I was able to be 1sec faster on the track when he drove his GTS. Now with his GT3, I can’t keep up. I have a tune and soul 200 cell cats and he’s stock!

I like the fact that I have a car that I can track. If I were serious about track I’d go with GT3... but I enjoy/like the comforts of my C2S.

I will upgrade to Kline headers and catless exhaust!
maybe I’ll be able to keep up with the GT3??!!!
Old 12-10-2019 | 08:10 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by caciquemd
Well... I have driven both on the street but I own the C2S and have driven it at the track.

Buddy of mine sold his 991.1 GTS and upgraded to 991.2 GTS. I was able to be 1sec faster on the track when he drove his GTS. Now with his GT3, I can’t keep up. I have a tune and soul 200 cell cats and he’s stock!

I like the fact that I have a car that I can track. If I were serious about track I’d go with GT3... but I enjoy/like the comforts of my C2S.

If you're tuned then you already have more power. You need more brakes and suspension to keep up now unless he's PDK and you're manual....
Old 12-10-2019 | 10:53 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

For daily driving, even the T might have too much power. At least it is accessable torque. The GT3 needs to be revved up to be fun: it isn't that great of a daily from a "fun to drive" perspective. As far as feeling like a bad-*** driving around; you can't easily beat the GT3. No Carrera has that kind of presence. If you can use the GT3 however, it blows away any Carrera in terms of fun when you can finally push it. And that sound; downshifting under an overpass or in a tunnel is intoxicating.

The cars are getting so fast that it is tough to find a car to be super fun on a daily drive type of road.

Why not get a sport package 991.2 C2S if you are going down that road? Same car as the T with more power. You can also find one a bit lower in the depreciation curve, so you may save yourself some money.

Having owned a lot of cars over the past few years, I can say the most fun "daily drivers" thus far were our 997.2 base C4, GT4, 997.1 Club Coupe, and current 981 Cayman S, which has carbon buckets and about 20k of suspension work which makes a GT3 feel soft. All of these cars shared a couple of things: NA engines and a manual transmission. There wasn't a ton of power, so I could get push the car more toward it's limit in DD situations, and all of these felt very alive and visceral in any type of driving situation. The 991.2 C2S that I spent a lot of time driving wasn't as much fun: it had so much power, like the GT3, that it was hard to really open up. Same story with the GT3. Lots of bad-*** cars, but from a daily perspective: that Cayman is incredible. It feels like a go-kart zipping through town, and you have to get a Cayman to have that feel; it is amazing how much bigger and ponderous a 991, even a GT3, feels when driving them back to back. I got to drive the GT3 on Friday and the Cayman on Saturday, and the difference is hard to fathom until you have driven both.

If you wanted 90% of the performance of our Cayman S in a stock car, with a bit more power, you should check out the 981 GT4. Until we got this Cayman, that was my favorite "around town" car for the same reason. I love go-kart type sensations; it makes me want to fly around every roundabout and u-turn, but the Carrera feels so capable and so insulated, even the GT3, that it just isn't the same "wow" feeling as a DD. My wife has a loaded, tuned 991.1 C2S cab as her daily and she loves it for taking the boys to school, but if she is just driving herself, she usually opts for the Cayman over the GT3 or 991 Cab. We bought the GT3 for track use, but this Cayman is so much fun and so well sorted in terms of suspension, that the GT3 will get sold in the spring and we will just have the 2 cars.

If you need 4 seats, I wouldn't discount a base 991.1 . Find one with the right options: they are out there. If you want suspension precision, buy a set of the DSC coilovers, and you will have the perfect combo of daily useable power and handling. Upgrade the exhaust and you will be all good to go!

The following 2 users liked this post by raidersfan:
Arcanum (12-12-2019), Porsche911GTS'16 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-11-2019 | 09:51 AM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by caciquemd

the tires and understeer is probably what’s holding you back the most. You have more power so you are not far from being competitive.
Old 12-16-2019 | 09:18 AM
Grantsfo
Pro

With a tune, coilovers with gt3 spring rates, gt3 control arms the T gets sharpened to near GT3 performance. And I like turbo torque band for street driving.
The following users liked this post:
Ukkid74 (01-19-2020)

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera T vs 991.1 GT3