991.2 GTS Mod Finale

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 12:13 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
Couple of comments I have regarding the mods;

Soul uses the smallest core of all the aftermarket options, which is why I am assuming they are marginally cheaper than the other offerings. They'll openly disclose this if you ask, 120mm (4.724") vs 130 (5.118")

Increasing the size of the IC cores doesn't necessarily equate to a reduction of IAT. The placement of of IC's isn't ideal and increasing the thickness and fin density may not directly translate to a decrease in IAT's if the airflow isn't sufficient. I still haven't seen any datalogs demonstrating their effectiveness. It would be nice to see some of these manufacturers backing up claims with real life data. Im not doubting they work, but we just don't have any data (or any I've seen thus far) of their effectiveness on a car in motion.

Any header that offers a proper merge collector should flow better. Vektor utilizes a rotary type collector and equal length runners, which is the best of both worlds. The header design becomes more important if you tune the car and its operating above stock power levels.
///M3THOD, great feedback, especially with respect to the IC’s. I agree aftermarket IC ‘data’ was vague at best when I bought them. Best way to put it is I thought it was a good idea. In any event, one thing I am pretty sure is true, my IAT’s are not warmer than before One thing that is definitely true is the car is a freaking rocket. Just hope I don’t ever see a piston in the rear view mirror, at least one that came out of my car.

Last edited by flickroll; 04-14-2019 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:31 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 346 Posts

If I could find any data showing that intercoolers on our GTS's provided a significant reduction of IAT I would buy them. I agree (for now) with M3thod that in theory they should be doing some additional cooling, but still no date proving they do. Expensive and labor intensive to install so, I need to know they work..
Old 04-14-2019, 11:45 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
If I could find any data showing that intercoolers on our GTS's provided a significant reduction of IAT I would buy them. I agree (for now) with M3thod that in theory they should be doing some additional cooling, but still no date proving they do. Expensive and labor intensive to install so, I need to know they work..
Would be nice if AMS should chime in with some data. If there’s an IAT reduction they’d prob sell a sh**-ton of em.

Installation as it turned out was pretty easy, but it did take a little bit of labor.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:59 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 586 Likes on 395 Posts

This is off the AMS website. We don't know the test conditions however. On a single pull, the extra thermal mass of the larger core could be the reason for the lower temps on a single pull. The larger core should also have lower pressure drop. So with the ECU maintaining constant manifold pressure, that means the turbos don't have to work quite as hard resulting in lower compressor outlet temps too. The thicker core could mean external airflow is restricted a bit which would result in the core not cooling down as fast. The other part of the equation is we don't know the total pressure drop of the cores. The end-tanks do look better in that regard compared to stock, but no pressure drop data that I know of. Anyway, it would be good to see data over 20 min session on a road course or something.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS Mod Finale