Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS Mod Finale

Old 04-11-2019, 11:31 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 991.2 GTS Mod Finale

I have done a number of performance mods to my 2018 GTS. They include Cobb tune, Soul 200 cell cats, Vektor headers, AMS intercoolers, and BMC air filter. I am officially done! Today I met up with the folks at Vektor and they ran the car on the dyno for Cobb Pro Tuner Junior from JRtunes.com who provided a custom Cobb ecu tune. The baseline max whp after all of the mods but before the tune was 469. After the mods but before the tune my butt dyno told me the car was about as fast as a Turbo, and I was spot on with that assessment. After Junior did his magic we came up with 498 whp. That equates to a stunning 573 crank hp (mt, so multiplier is 1.15), just 7 crank hp shy of the Turbo S! To top it off Junior indicated because of heat soaking during the runs that the car ought to put out well over 600 crank hp using cooler air as is usually found in a non dyno environment. The car is an absolute rocket and I’m very happy with it. I don’t have the plot showing the 498 hp run but here is one with 494:

Many thanks to great folks at Vektor and also Junior. All of them and the support staff were extremely helpful, friendly, and careful when working around my 911. All in all a great day!

Wish I knew how to post a large video file as I’d post one of the runs which has the awesome sound of the car. But here are a few pics including a really cool one right before I departed late afternoon:

Old 04-12-2019, 12:12 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Its a manual rwd turbo S! Nice wheels!
Old 04-12-2019, 12:37 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

Turbo S power and 300 some pounds lighter! It's nice how the power keeps on climbing to redline.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:46 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts

Congrats!
I have a similar setup on my GTS minus the COBB tune and ICs so I have to ask...Is your COBB tune stage I or II? Am I reading this right: 469 to 498 HP increase from a tune (29HP gain)?
Old 04-12-2019, 02:02 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 541 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Congrats!
I have a similar setup on my GTS minus the COBB tune and ICs so I have to ask...Is your COBB tune stage I or II? Am I reading this right: 469 to 498 HP increase from a tune (29HP gain)?
It's a custom tune. So Stage 1 tune is really only good for a completely stock car. The Stage 2 tune is good for if you have high flow cats and that's about it because that's all the test car had that Cobb did their Stage 2 calibration. So additional mods like headers and ICs require a custom pro-tune to extract the most power. My guess is the pro-tune was a 29whp gain over the Stage 2 tune.

Since you're in SoCal, hit up Mitch at Dyno Spectrum. He uses the World Motorsport dyno in Torrance. Mitch worked on all of Cobb's Porsche stuff before he left and started up Dyno Spectrum. Here's a recent interview in fact.
https://motoiq.com/slipangle-tuning-badass-mitch-mckee/
Old 04-12-2019, 02:11 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
It's a custom tune. So Stage 1 tune is really only good for a completely stock car. The Stage 2 tune is good for if you have high flow cats and that's about it because that's all the test car had that Cobb did their Stage 2 calibration. So additional mods like headers and ICs require a custom pro-tune to extract the most power. My guess is the pro-tune was a 29whp gain over the Stage 2 tune.

Since you're in SoCal, hit up Mitch at Dyno Spectrum. He uses the World Motorsport dyno in Torrance. Mitch worked on all of Cobb's Porsche stuff before he left and started up Dyno Spectrum. Here's a recent interview in fact.
https://motoiq.com/slipangle-tuning-badass-mitch-mckee/
Thanks for the clarification! I’ll have to check out Dyno Spectrum.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:58 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Congrats!
It is a Custom tune after all of the goodies were installed. The baseline run before the start of the tuning process using Cobb's standard Stage 2 93 octane tune was 469 whp, so the custom tune showed an additional 29 whp. Since the baseline run was the first run of the day before the car became heat soaked, 469 is an 'accurate' number. During the final and most important runs we were dealing with heat soaking so in reality the gain is actually more than 29, probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-50 whp according to the gentleman doing the tuning. During tuning he said he was quite certain he would get to over 500 WHP but never could because of heat soaking which led to his comment that 'you are most certainly there with the tune but I can't get the data to support that comment because of heat issues, and when you are on the road with cooler air moving through the system you'll be well over 500 whp'.

In any event Turbo S power, or worst case 'near Turbo S power', out of a GTS is quite remarkable. The drive home I was very lucky as I was in a pack of very fast moving cars (fast by Virginia standards ) and I had fun lagging behind and then 'catching up'. After a while a ragged out BMW X5 started tailgating me and a slight depression of the accelerator left him in the dust. Was fun
Old 04-12-2019, 11:35 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,115 Likes on 665 Posts

Congrats on those numbers! Considering its a mustang dyno which reads a bit lower than Dynojets-you would be well over 500whp on a dynojet!!!
Old 04-12-2019, 11:46 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by polobai
Congrats on those numbers! Considering its a mustang dyno which reads a bit lower than Dynojets-you would be well over 500whp on a dynojet!!!
Thanks!! That is spot on as that is exactly what the tuner said.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:52 AM
polobai
Drifting

Many people say the difference is up to 12% between Mustang and Dynojet-IMO its more like 5-7%. Even still that puts you at over 520WHP if it was on a dynojet (conservatively). If you have the available time-you should do 3 pulls on a local dynojet to compare
Old 04-12-2019, 11:55 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Here's a cropped video clip of one of the runs. At the end off the run the headers are starting to glow red, and then during the spin down the turbos sound like a gas turbine spooling down because of the free flowing exhaust. That may be a turn off for some but I love it.

My Movie - Small.mov
Old 04-12-2019, 12:07 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by polobai
Many people say the difference is up to 12% between Mustang and Dynojet-IMO its more like 5-7%. Even still that puts you at over 520WHP if it was on a dynojet (conservatively). If you have the available time-you should do 3 pulls on a local dynojet to compare
Thanks for the info. I will look around for the Dynojet in the area and see if I can schedule a run. Good news is also it would be the first run of the day for the car and heat won't be much an issue. But based on what you said even at just 5% higher on a Dynojet I'm at 523 whp, 7% is 533, and that is with a little heat soaking going on.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:10 PM
fastforddriver
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Reall good numbers! ...especially on a Mustang dyno. Really nice.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:11 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Hey everyone, is the video clip playing properly?
Old 04-12-2019, 12:26 PM
polobai
Drifting

Plays great for me!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS Mod Finale