Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 02:45 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 196 Posts

I'm running without a front plate for now. But every time I'm around a patrol car, I wonder if I'm going to get pulled over for it. So ultimately, I think I'm going to do the magnetic mount thing.

I wonder if the magnetic mount approach would hold up even at speeds over 100 mph. Or what speed(s) it could tolerate. Not that the merest speculation of a dream of a consideration of a fantasy of driving that fast off the track, even on an empty stretch of perfectly paved highway, would ever occur to me, which, naturally, it never would.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:48 PM
IMPorsche
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

The downside of this mod is you have to remove the front bumper in order to attach the magnet inside the bumper.

There are a few threads on here where this was done. Great solution if you don’t want to drill even one hole in your bumper, hidden or not.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-27-2019, 03:01 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by V999
I'm running without a front plate for now. But every time I'm around a patrol car, I wonder if I'm going to get pulled over for it. So ultimately, I think I'm going to do the magnetic mount thing.

I wonder if the magnetic mount approach would hold up even at speeds over 100 mph. Or what speed(s) it could tolerate. Not that the merest speculation of a dream of a consideration of a fantasy of driving that fast off the track, even on an empty stretch of perfectly paved highway, would ever occur to me, which, naturally, it never would.
I have driven with the plate on for a week in the rain because I forgot to remove it. Speeds up to 75mph. I cannot vouch for higher speeds. However it seems to me that since it is flush increased air speed would make it more secure. I almost never drive with it on. It's for parking in metered spots only.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:22 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by IMPorsche
The downside of this mod is you have to remove the front bumper in order to attach the magnet inside the bumper.

There are a few threads on here where this was done. Great solution if you don’t want to drill even one hole in your bumper, hidden or not.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed, who want to remove a bumper? In my case I have been inspired by a few other threads (Bkrantz) on home-made radiator protectors. I am planning on removing the rotating vanes completely and putting in my own solution from the inside, so the magnets will be an add on benefit for me.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:49 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default So?

Can we buy the kit from someone, somewhere? I'm having the bumper off soon to install radiator screens They could do this, too, then, as well, simultaneously.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:15 PM
SeymourButts
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

^^^ Taking a look at this thread, it doesn't seem like you really need a kit, it tells you what you need. I'm going to buy the magnets now and install them the next time I take my front bumper off.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1021...ate-mount.html
Old 03-27-2019, 04:49 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

What a pain!! May be a good idea if you only drive your car occasionally. But for a daily driver, way too much nonsense.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:28 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Same here and I have lasted 3 years without getting pulled over. Touch wood. I keep pushing my luck.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:34 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mwlmd
I have driven with the plate on for a week in the rain because I forgot to remove it. Speeds up to 75mph. I cannot vouch for higher speeds. However it seems to me that since it is flush increased air speed would make it more secure. I almost never drive with it on. It's for parking in metered spots only.
I have done this on two other cars and it holds at speed without issue.
One time I forgot to removed on my first session at the track and it was not a problem at 225kph

Use rare earth Neodymium magnets.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:39 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Default Magnetic Attraction

I ordered the magnets and the suggested cement today! Great suggestions for someone who is NOT going to put a front tag permanently on my car or my wife's BMW! Not gonna do-it. Spoke to my Indie this afternoon about pulling my front bumper to install these and my new Rennline radiator screens. That suggestion couldn't have come at a better time. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-29-2019, 11:32 PM
KP993
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, I have the magnetic plate holder done on mine too.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:02 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Interesting solution though I've been driving without front plates for 9+ years, in a state that requires them. So far, no LEO harassments...
Old 05-25-2019, 05:11 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up Magnetic front bumper license plate solution

Originally Posted by Fbrooksr
I ordered the magnets and the suggested cement today! Great suggestions for someone who is NOT going to put a front tag permanently on my car or my wife's BMW! Not gonna do-it. Spoke to my Indie this afternoon about pulling my front bumper to install these and my new Rennline radiator screens. That suggestion couldn't have come at a better time. Thanks for sharing!
Had my done this week. Front bumper was off anyway to install Rennline radiator screens and this was done at the same time. The cost was around $25.00 all told versus a fine of way more. The Rennline screens are great by the way! Had European Luxury Performance in Cockeysville, MD do the work.

Just before feeling the magnetic pull.

Lining up with the guides.

Voila!
What a great solution and way less expensive than a fine or getting stopped when I didn't want to be delayed. Thanks to those with way more inventive minds!
Old 05-25-2019, 08:46 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

No problemo. Mine has seen 140 mph and it stayed stuck like it was glued and/or screwed on.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:08 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I did mine last month, works great. The only thing I'd do differently is to tape the magnets inside the bumper with heavy-duty 3M tape. Epoxies don't stick too well to plastic surfaces so I'll have to monitor it to make sure they don't come loose.

Quick Reply: Magnetic front license plate