Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone go from a 911 to a Mini...not kidding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 08:48 AM
Grantsfo
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 88 Posts

It’s not really only manual transmission wagon. VW makes manual wagons , and I have a hard time not putting 4 door hatches with just as much space in same category as Mini Clubman and hatches with manuals still exist. Many far better values than over priced Mini. For me my mini was ok in handling department just didn’t like cheap rattling interior. Clubman certainly has a bit more of nostalgic wagon look however.

For me mini was engaging for first year then I grew tired of it. It’s econo car underpinnings do betray mini sometimes.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:23 AM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I went from a 2009 cooper S convertible to a '15 911. Hard to compare the two as I was so happy that I finally got my dream car, a 911. But I often thought about the mini. The "going fast in a slow car" mantra holds true. The mini's manual shift was a joy. The car was light and a joy to toss around corners. You could really wring out the engine on your daily drive, which was hard to do even with the base 911. 911 felt slow in low RPM from stand still and became a beast at higher revs. The 911 was a bit more boring as you could not drive it at the limit on a daily basis. With the mini I could. I loved the SUV slalom on my commute in the mini. So I felt that the mini invited more to drive like a hooligan. I had the transmission of the mini replaced at 15k miles and under warranty. Many small issue with the car, but covered by Mini warranty. My 911 was cheaper to own (low depreciation as I bought used) and no issues except standard maintenance. I'm driving a C7 now and would take that over a mini any time of the day, it combines the low end grunt, hooligan inviting driving mode with and awesome engine sound. The rear end hangs out often, grip and steering precision are not as good as mini or 911. Other thing I'm missing is headroom in the vette. Great in both the mini and 911 and too limited in the vette.

So in summary, I like the mini a lot, would buy a vette again when on a mini-budget. But would sell my vette any day to get back into a 911. 911 is my dream car, the mini was a fun small car to drive.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:41 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Have a MC40 along with my 76 RS, both lots of fun and both real lookers.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:46 AM
Guaji
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 149 Posts

Are you looking to trade the 911 for the Mini? Or just buying one to add as a daily driver? This maybe way off your scope of interest, but you may also want to consider a Fiesta ST as a fun “hot hatch” . It’s my daily driver and it’s the best bang for the buck. It has a German connection too, since it was designed in Cologne by Ford Europe.

You can probably pick up a new one at a very good price since 2019 is the last year and dealers want to unload them. Unfortunately North America didn’t get the next Gen currently offered in Europe. If it is to replace the 911 the Mini will feel more upscale compared to the Econobox origins of the Fiesta, especially in regards to the interior. With a Stage 1 tune and some other light mods, the lil thing rips around town. It’s my urban rally car.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:03 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Does anyone choose to move from a 911 to a Mini for real? Or is the Mini an add on car for days not in the 911.
If your portfolio crashes then it is for economic reasons, if not its not the best ego booster.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:11 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelo
Golf R- if you don't mind your right knee hitting constantly against the hard center console and the excessive seat bolstering holding you in like a prison. No thank you.
I have an MK7 Golf R. The ergonomic layout of the cabin is definitely not a strong point!
Old 03-25-2019, 02:07 PM
no-subt2
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was in England over 25 years ago, I originally had a Lotus. It keep on breaking down so I bought a used Mini (original Mini not affiliated with BMW). The Mini was so fun and trouble free with little to no maintenance that I ended up selling the Lotus and eventually had 4 Minis. If you can get an original Mini, it feels like a go cart and has a surprisely amount of room due its boxiness. More fun and it had more rawness than the Minis nowadays.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:24 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

I'd go 500 Abarth or FiST over Mini every time, Tom. Still miss our 500 Abarth every time the friend we sold it to stops by. And whenever I think about it, really. It was more fun than the GT4 that replaced it, and maybe my 991.2 too. Not a finer car, or a better performance car, but maybe more fun. Just a hoot on wheels up to say, 6/10ths.

Which reminds me, I owe you a PM...
Old 03-25-2019, 03:31 PM
carrera4esq
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Wife's summer ride is a 2014 Mini S Vert. The Mini is a perfect little jump around car. Fun to drive, nimble, can fit into any parking space, back seat for the dogs (and small people), great gas mileage, very quick and handles well. Had the car for over a year with no problems at all. Relatively inexpensive to purchase in the used market and the car is still worth what I paid for it. On the downside - interior controls tough to get used to unless you drive the car often, and the ride is punishing. I have recently owned a 2009 911s cab, 2012 GTS cab, and currently a 991.2 Targa GTS. The Mini and 911 are very different and are both excellent at executing their intended purposes.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:23 PM
natman316
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a BMW X2 which is pretty much a Mini Clubman with a BMW body, fun handling car and quite tossable. Good city car. Awful seats so not ideal for long drives.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:28 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by carrera4esq

Wife's summer ride is a 2014 Mini S Vert. The Mini is a perfect little jump around car. Fun to drive, nimble, can fit into any parking space, back seat for the dogs (and small people), great gas mileage, very quick and handles well. Had the car for over a year with no problems at all. Relatively inexpensive to purchase in the used market and the car is still worth what I paid for it. On the downside - interior controls tough to get used to unless you drive the car often, and the ride is punishing. I have recently owned a 2009 911s cab, 2012 GTS cab, and currently a 991.2 Targa GTS. The Mini and 911 are very different and are both excellent at executing their intended purposes.
The ride harshness can be cured with a combination of 16-inch wheels and non-runflat tires + softer shocks (Koni FSD or Sports). In a prior life, I owned a 2005 Cooper S. Until I swapped out the OEM shocks for FSDs, I was getting ready to unload the car (even after swapping the 17-inch wheels and runflats for 16-inchers and non-runflats). But after adding the FSDs, it was night-and-day different. Also, the early cars (up to 2006MY) were prone to strut tower issues from the combination of harsh factory shocks and runflat tires. Don't know about strut tower problems with the new cars.

Control layout has been an issue from day one with the MINI. You either learn to live with it or you move on to another car.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:46 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 166 Posts

While I didn't "go from a 911 to a MINI," I had MINIs as DDers...specifically a MINI JCW Coupe and later a MINI JCW Countryman.
I outgrew them both, finding the negatives overpowered the quirky positives. MINIs have relentless torque-steer, kidney-punishing run flat tires, and a wheelbase short enough to bring the worst out of any not perfectly paved road. But, on the other hand, they are expensive...every option is pricey (Porsche owners are mostly numb to this)...and they're kind of underpowered (even in JCW trim).

If you want a fun-to-drive, manual shifting, sort-of station wagon to drive...get a VW Golf R. At around $40k, I'm not sure there's another similar vehicle on the planet that is as fast for the money. Plus, the ride is waaaaay better than any MINI and the Golf R is so stealthily conservative looking, it makes the MINI look like a Clown Car.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:56 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

I can't see a Mini replacing anything let alone a 911.

911 for sport
BMW540i for comfort sedan
BMW X5 for utility

That's not changing anytime soon.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:56 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
Wondering if anyone has moved from a 911 to a Mini?...serious question.

God bless,
TT
I have to ask, after following you during your wait for the car, are you really thinking about this? Please explain!
Old 03-25-2019, 07:58 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

It's not a serious question, right?
Why does anyone replace a 911 with a Mini? Got caught cheating on the wife had to get rid of toys, being indicted by the Feds for money laundering, bad trip to Vegas you can't remember, wife or girlfriend just had quadruplets, etc.....

Fun car, maybe never owned one. Did look at early BMW generation versions for my kids and thought they were over priced and underwhelming.
For a 2nd or 3rd car, maybe but to replace my 911, no thanks.

Quick Reply: Anyone go from a 911 to a Mini...not kidding?