Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono or Full Leather?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 07:35 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

I have both. If you can get both, do it. If you have to choose then get leather, you'll really enjoy it. It makes your car feel special every time you are in it. If you don't plan to enjoy your car and want to keep an eye on selling it...uh...get sport chrono.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:39 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-S
I have both. If you can get both, do it. If you have to choose then get leather, you'll really enjoy it. It makes your car feel special every time you are in it. If you don't plan to enjoy your car and want to keep an eye on selling it...uh...get sport chrono.
Was wondering how many milliseconds it would take for a post about ignoring resale .
Old 03-24-2019, 08:35 AM
happychappy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I currently prefer the non leather option as it seems to look newer over time compared to full leather. I also find it more resilient compared to leather.If I had to choose I would take the Chrono even if you don't race on a track. After the newness of the car wears off I will regret not having a car that doesn't reach its full potential.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:50 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Was wondering how many milliseconds it would take for a post about ignoring resale .
Resale is an interesting topic and not as easy to dismiss as my post suggests. I believe my 911 configuations are not the norm but I'm blessed to be financially able to throw in options that will help with resale. Never would have gotten PSE on my 991.1 but noticed every car on the lot had it. I ended up enjoying the hell out of it. Do I really get the enjoyment out of Sport Chrono? That's debatable although I'm pretty sure I launch my car more than most
Old 03-24-2019, 09:33 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

+1 on the leather Black/Bordeaux combo. It’s beautiful and adds resale value too and maybe more so on a base than sports chrono. People who track and more likely to look for ultimate performance gains (and I think chrono only adds like .2 seconds on launch) would probably prefer a gts or a t, or possibly an s.

I think the only thing useful for non-track driving is the individual setting mode. The sport plus is too harsh on the street and no one needs the temporary boost feature to pass another car when you already have 370 hp.

Also, at least some people do not like the look of the plastic selector (I think it looks pretty good, but some say it looks cheap) and clock (I always thought it was a weird place for one if you’re not tracking the car and, strangely, a psychological reminder about time when sometimes you don’t want to be thinking about that while enjoying a beautiful drive).
Old 03-24-2019, 09:53 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by TennisGuy
+1 on the leather Black/Bordeaux combo. It’s beautiful and adds resale value too and maybe more so on a base than sports chrono. People who track and more likely to look for ultimate performance gains (and I think chrono only adds like .2 seconds on launch) would probably prefer a gts or a t, or possibly an s.

I think the only thing useful for non-track driving is the individual setting mode. The sport plus is too harsh on the street and no one needs the temporary boost feature to pass another car when you already have 370 hp.

Also, at least some people do not like the look of the plastic selector (I think it looks pretty good, but some say it looks cheap) and clock (I always thought it was a weird place for one if you’re not tracking the car and, strangely, a psychological reminder about time when sometimes you don’t want to be thinking about that while enjoying a beautiful drive).
And just to be clear, a number of folks prefer the base (including me) because the engine feels closer to a NA engine. Here are a couple articles that may be relevant:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-turbo-review/ (#4)

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...991-2-carrera/

Those who track AND care about max times, probably would prefer faster models.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:58 AM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 226 Posts

I’m fortunate enough to have found a car with both, however if it came down to one or the other, I’d get the Chrono.

You can always add custom leather, but you can’t add SC.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:15 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 356 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by happychappy
I currently prefer the non leather option as it seems to look newer over time compared to full leather. I also find it more resilient compared to leather.If I had to choose I would take the Chrono even if you don't race on a track. After the newness of the car wears off I will regret not having a car that doesn't reach its full potential.
+1
Old 03-24-2019, 10:28 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,105 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Full leather was a must for me when I was buying my car. I got it and I will say that you are going to notice it the most when you are sitting at a stop light, getting in and out of it, or cleaning your car. You also will notice the smell of leather each time you get in and out of the car. To me it does make a big difference. However if I found a perfect car without it that I wasn't going to keep forever I would probably be fine with it.

Sport Chrono is great, but in my 997 I never use the clock. In the 991, it is at least more useful in that you can actually tell the time on it. Obviously the performance benefits as well. I tried looking on Suncoast to see if you can add it after the fact but I didn't see an option to.

Overall, I would get the full leather. I am going to notice it every time I am using the car whether I am going for a fun drive or if I am driving around town. The sport chrono is going to get used maybe 10% of the time, since I am not always driving in a manner of needing it.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:07 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 397 Likes on 229 Posts

Leather or an ugly stopwatch? Choice would be easy for me.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:19 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

As a many decade 911 owner, it's amazing how the preferences of 911 owners has changed over the years. The overwhelming sentiment for leather in this thread really surprised me. Now I understand why virtually 100% of all the dealer ordered cars have PDK and most also have full leather. Dealers understand what their customers want.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:36 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jay-S
Resale is an interesting topic and not as easy to dismiss as my post suggests. I believe my 911 configuations are not the norm but I'm blessed to be financially able to throw in options that will help with resale. Never would have gotten PSE on my 991.1 but noticed every car on the lot had it. I ended up enjoying the hell out of it. Do I really get the enjoyment out of Sport Chrono? That's debatable although I'm pretty sure I launch my car more than most
I get it. I don't think much about resale either - my car, my money. But I figure when someone posts this type of question they're trying to get a broad range of factors that go in to the choice. Surely they know what they themselves would enjoy and if not we can't help much with that!!
Old 03-24-2019, 11:37 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Originally Posted by fast1
As a many decade 911 owner, it's amazing how the preferences of 911 owners has changed over the years. The overwhelming sentiment for leather in this thread really surprised me. Now I understand why virtually 100% of all the dealer ordered cars have PDK and most also have full leather. Dealers understand what their customers want.
100% agree. Shocks me, but probably shouldn't. Just look at the GT3 RS specs we see all the time.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:51 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 309 Posts
Default Im amazed at how many people

want leather over a performance option. really shows the difference between the newer and older vehicle crowd. For me the SC is a must have, the leather really does not hold up as well (from other threads here) and to me would not be important. Of course I dont need a huge subwoofer or curb feelers either so...
Old 03-24-2019, 12:40 PM
bkkchris
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotta love Rennlist, so many great opinions in here. Car is a lease so don't care about potential resale, and it is a daily, so good argument for the more "lux" leather option. Just drove a base PDK, with PSE, no leather and no chrono and didn't really miss the chrono at all but did miss the nicer feeling interior. So depending on the deal on the two cars, thats my preference. Kind of cant go wrong either way though!

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono or Full Leather?