Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono or Full Leather?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 02:39 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Between the two, definitely the leather.

Some of you old grumpy men need to chill. Wah wahhh wahhh 'in the old days people bought cars seats that had no cushions.' Give it a break...its a luxury ROAD not RACE car. The OP said they will daily it...its not a toy like maybe your car is. The standard interior is ugly and really degrades the quality. If there is a single thing that I will REFUSE to buy a Porsche car its a standard (non-leather) interior. Not only is it cheap looking, its also less durable and stinks.

Sports chrono is really nice and does make a lot of difference in performance (dynamic engine mounts). I've had Porsche cars with and without it... personally would get it. It really makes a car come alive that has rear steering, PDCC, PTV, and etc. If you don't have these options, its less important. You want it if its a loaded S or GTS model, however a base car maybe not and might even make it more 'raw.' Most base cars DON'T come with many options and often don't have leather.

Sport+ mode with PDK is usable all the time in the .2 gen. In previous gens you'd look like a fool making lots of noise and not going fast, but its tame in the turbo version. I'll use it city driving all the time and then normal mode for cruising. You can also do things with the dial like sport mode (downshift), sport + (downshift again and car firms up), take a curve, and then click to individual...let off gas and car will automatically go in sail mode...or you can tap both paddles). Need to pass someone? Just hit the button...instantly go from normal to sport + mode with all features on. I find myself using the dial a lot and would miss it.

Interior is something you notice and is very tangible. A dash-wart with subjective performance improvements isn't.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:53 AM
chekraze
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Is the grade of leather different in full leather car vs partial leather?
Old 03-26-2019, 09:36 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 309 Posts

If you want some really nice leather you could buy a bentley or rolls royce...
Old 03-26-2019, 09:47 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

I can't believe PSE is not in the hunt. It's my favorite 991 option in my C2S CAB
Old 03-26-2019, 10:22 AM
happychappy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chekraze
Is the grade of leather different in full leather car vs partial leather?
Yes, partial leather changes from grained leather to smooth leather and a few added parts on the seat that are plastic like the air bag covers which are covered in smooth leather on the full leather option. I have had a few 911's in my life time all with full leather. My current 991 has partial leather which hasn't aged anywhere near the full leather cars I have had. The grained leather seems to be less prone to wrinkles and wear over time.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:01 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The communal wisdom at rennlist used to be that, at least for 991.1 models, if the car has a manual transmission, SC was nice to have but not a must, whereas with PDK it is a must (basically for the sport+ button).

I have both, and would want both again, but if forced to choose, full leather would be first (by far). I guess if I tracked the car the outcome would be the opposite.

Best
Old 03-26-2019, 05:38 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My recommendation would be to go with the Chrono. Then take it right down to a good upholstery shop and add leather. Can't beat the new car smell of new leather
Old 03-27-2019, 09:56 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by goldduster
My recommendation would be to go with the Chrono. Then take it right down to a good upholstery shop and add leather. Can't beat the new car smell of new leather
Yea, I'm sure a car with an aftermarket interior will lose less value than one without SC. JK.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:02 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Corinthian Option

Anyone have the corinthian option, I hear they massage the cows daily before shooting them in the head ?

Originally Posted by minthral
Between the two, definitely the leather.

Some of you old grumpy men need to chill. Wah wahhh wahhh 'in the old days people bought cars seats that had no cushions.' Give it a break...its a luxury ROAD not RACE car. The OP said they will daily it...its not a toy like maybe your car is. The standard interior is ugly and really degrades the quality. If there is a single thing that I will REFUSE to buy a Porsche car its a standard (non-leather) interior. Not only is it cheap looking, its also less durable and stinks.

Sports chrono is really nice and does make a lot of difference in performance (dynamic engine mounts). I've had Porsche cars with and without it... personally would get it. It really makes a car come alive that has rear steering, PDCC, PTV, and etc. If you don't have these options, its less important. You want it if its a loaded S or GTS model, however a base car maybe not and might even make it more 'raw.' Most base cars DON'T come with many options and often don't have leather.

Sport+ mode with PDK is usable all the time in the .2 gen. In previous gens you'd look like a fool making lots of noise and not going fast, but its tame in the turbo version. I'll use it city driving all the time and then normal mode for cruising. You can also do things with the dial like sport mode (downshift), sport + (downshift again and car firms up), take a curve, and then click to individual...let off gas and car will automatically go in sail mode...or you can tap both paddles). Need to pass someone? Just hit the button...instantly go from normal to sport + mode with all features on. I find myself using the dial a lot and would miss it.

Interior is something you notice and is very tangible. A dash-wart with subjective performance improvements isn't.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:33 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 219 Posts

A dash-wart with subjective performance improvements isn't.
I suppose that calling them "improvements" is subjective and that "changes" would be a more objective term.

But a 911 is still a relatively high performance sports car, is it not? And for most high performance sports cars, stiffening motor mounts and suspension settings along with quicker steering and throttle response are typically considered performance improvements. Whereas softening those things would normally be considered a comfort improvement.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:36 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

I say do both. Full leather interior is a plus to a beautiful cabin and the sport chrono gives you more than just the dash wart. dynamic engine mounts just one example.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:46 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 311 Posts

Not much info from the OP to go on, but have to assume they are both PDK. A manual without SC is a bad idea. Rev matching is very useful for alerting the driver if too low a gear is selected on downshift. That doesn't happen often with attentive driving, but when they do can be a "money shift" over-rev. If these are new cars and budget is limiting, personally I'd find a nice CPO C2S with no compromises on my wanted options. A C2S can later be upgraded with X51 to GTS spec if desired. That was a big plus for me. If you need a decent trade-in and can't get it from an out of town dealer, find and use a good consignment dealer. That's what id do, but everybody is different.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:06 PM
Porsch
Banned

Received 252 Likes on 149 Posts

Some of you old grumpy men need to chill. Wah wahhh wahhh
oh the irony
Old 03-27-2019, 01:18 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch
oh the irony
One of the best "features" of internet forums is how they seem to encourage us to produce some great comic irony with fairly high frequency. Particularly forums where politics or political issues are discussed. But most car forums seem to have more than their fair share too.

It's a good time to be alive for those of us that value humor and laughter above most other things.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:10 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Default Moo-ve

Originally Posted by V999
One of the best "features" of internet forums is how they seem to encourage us to produce some great comic irony with fairly high frequency. Particularly forums where politics or political issues are discussed. But most car forums seem to have more than their fair share too.

It's a good time to be alive for those of us that value humor and laughter above most other things.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono or Full Leather?