Took in for summer tire swap out & next day blowout!Look at the pic & share thoughts - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 991
Reload this Page >

Took in for summer tire swap out & next day blowout!Look at the pic & share thoughts

Notices
Sponsored by:

Took in for summer tire swap out & next day blowout!Look at the pic & share thoughts

Old 03-15-2019, 09:35 AM
clemsondds
User

Well I know they rebalanced them. I'm just not sure if they remembered which tire came from which spot. I'll ask them this fall. Thanks!!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:39 AM
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do they want you to replace both rear tires or just the damaged one?
Old 03-15-2019, 09:45 AM
clemsondds
User

They didn't recommend one or the other. just asked if i wanted to do one or both. I was hoping they would offer to split the cost and each do one...but no such luck. I told them just to replace the one for right now. I was just so irritated at the time...probably should have just done both. The tires only have 9k on them.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:06 AM
garfunkle
User

Do you live in a war zone? Looks like a bullet hole.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:09 AM
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clemsondds View Post
They didn't recommend one or the other. just asked if i wanted to do one or both. I was hoping they would offer to split the cost and each do one...but no such luck. I told them just to replace the one for right now. I was just so irritated at the time...probably should have just done both. The tires only have 9k on them.
Well, by 911 standards, that's a ton of miles. And looking closely at your pic in post #1, I see other nearby cuts in the thread, so you probably did run over something.

After you get back up & running again, and the vibration is cleared up, pay very close attention upon aggressive accelerations. If anything wonky is going on, it's because the new tire is 9-10/32's and the old tire is significantly below that differential threshold.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:58 PM
plenum
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anyone else first think that looks like a plug ejected itself...?. The threads pulled the way they are, the deformed rubber to one side only -- wouldn't you think this was a plug job that failed? Wobbling feel could have been the plug partially out. I mean, they do fail, right?
Old 03-15-2019, 03:16 PM
eagle1960
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by plenum View Post
Anyone else first think that looks like a plug ejected itself...?. The threads pulled the way they are, the deformed rubber to one side only -- wouldn't you think this was a plug job that failed? Wobbling feel could have been the plug partially out. I mean, they do fail, right?
No. This is way bigger than could be plugged plus the hole looks almost like it was cut into the tire with a hole punch!. Plug holes are very ragged. Just accept it that you had some bad luck and ran over something like a bolt with a washer under the head just as you left the dealer. Next day it came out. I try to avoid running over anything like you, but last fall I picked up a 3 inch long wheel weight in a rear tire. It made a huge hole but the tire didn't go flat for a couple of hours. Stuff happens.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:54 PM
Code
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by good2go View Post
My guess is it vibrating badly because you had something stuck in the tire. It came out and your tire was flat.
My thoughts exactly. I once ran over a 1/4" thick by 3" long lag bolt and it made a hole that looked exactly like that. It looked similar to the attached pic.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:35 PM
Dom991.1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan View Post
Well, by 911 standards, that's a ton of miles. And looking closely at your pic in post #1, I see other nearby cuts in the thread, so you probably did run over something.

After you get back up & running again, and the vibration is cleared up, pay very close attention upon aggressive accelerations. If anything wonky is going on, it's because the new tire is 9-10/32's and the old tire is significantly below that differential threshold.
^^^THIS^^^
9k is a TON of miles for the rears. You don’t mention the model (unless I missed something) but if it’s 991.1S then you have PTV (or it could have been optioned on a base) and if you do, in my experience, rear differentials ride very poorly with mismatched tires (or ones with significant treadwear differences). Food for thought...
Old 03-15-2019, 11:02 PM
Kitc2246
User

Tire Rack gives a 2 yr Road Hazard on the Michelin PS4S for my 09 Boxster
Old 03-16-2019, 02:41 PM
orclean1
Addict
Rennlist Member

As suggested you should replace the 9000 mile tire so you have a new set on the rear , buy it from TR and save yourself a few dollars ( have it shipped to one of TR installers and have it road forced balance both of them

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: