Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Took in for summer tire swap out & next day blowout!Look at the pic & share thoughts (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1133744-took-in-for-summer-tire-swap-out-and-next-day-blowout-look-at-the-pic-and-share-thoughts.html)

clemsondds 03-14-2019 09:29 PM

Took in for summer tire swap out & next day blowout!Look at the pic & share thoughts

Can I get your thoughts on this? I took my 911 in the other day for a blown seat heater fuse and to swap out for my summer tires. Everything went as usual except, when I picked up my car, I noticed on the drive back to my office there seemed to be a little wobble to the car. I know summer tires always feel a little more grippy and different so I didn't pay alot of attention. But it was enough for me to pull over and kick the tires a little and make sure they weren't coming off. I drove it the short distance to work and then back home and still noticed that the car just didn't seem smooth and planted. I didn't drive it yesterday and then today I took it to work. I got about half a mile from home, driving on a perfectly smooth rode when BANG. I immediately looked in my rear view mirror thinking I ran over something but I didn't see anything. I pulled over and immediately my dash was lit up with tire pressure warnings. I pulled over and sure enough my back rear tire was flat as a pancake. I sent a text to the service manager (at 7:30am) and he got someone there to pick me up within 25 min and take me to work. They took my car in on a flat bed and of course I got the message that I must have run over something. They said there was nothing inside the tire or sticking out of the tire. They sent this picture
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7cc50c17d.jpeg
I was paying attention when I was driving...I swerve out of the way if there's the tiniest of pot holes...so whatever would have caused this big of a hole...surely I would have seen. Now, I'm not saying it's not possible for me to have hit something...I am just asking for your thoughts. It just seems like too much coincidence that I felt all that vibration/wobble and then all of a sudden I blow out a tire. These tires have at least 50% tread and I have never (that I can remember) blown out a tire. I ran these same thoughts by the service manager and he just said "Sorry...wish I had a better answer for you. A blow out would happen on the sidewall"
Again, I'm willing to accept the bad luck and move on...if that is what it is. I just don't know much about tires and if there was anything they might have done wrong when installing the tires that could have resulted in this type of hole. Thanks for your thoughts!

Porscheforever 03-14-2019 09:52 PM

You ran over something on the road.

clemsondds 03-14-2019 09:54 PM

Ok thanks. Oh and I was going 25mph...I had just come through a red light. We drove that area again looking for anything that could have done this and didn't see anything. I guess it was just dumb coincidence

Porsche_nuts 03-14-2019 09:56 PM

That hole looks nasty.

Anything could have happened, You could have ran over something you did not see. You could have gone over something 30 seconds after you left the dealership. Or, the dealer could have driven over something. No way of telling. Hard to place blame on them for a tire blowout after you drove the car. I think you gotta suck this one up.

clemsondds 03-14-2019 10:26 PM

Of course if nothing else happened and I just had a blow out then yes...it would just suck. But the fact that it was vibrating pretty bad..enough for me to pull over and look at the bolts and talk to my staff and wife about it...and then for the tire to blow the next day...that's the part I thought was weird. I was going to take it in today anyway just for them to check the alignment. Oh well...well thank you for sharing! I just don't know much about these things

good2go 03-14-2019 10:39 PM

My guess is it vibrating badly because you had something stuck in the tire. It came out and your tire was flat.

A lot of thought int a flat tire. Is there something you think you did wrong?

clemsondds 03-14-2019 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by good2go (Post 15704659)
My guess is it vibrating badly because you had something stuck in the tire. It came out and your tire was flat.

Huh? I think it's weird bc I had my winter tires on...and then they installed my summer tires which they said looked good...and immediately they were vibrating and then the next day I get this huge hole in it. Just thought it was odd.

911-TOUR 03-14-2019 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by good2go (Post 15704659)

^^^ This. You ran over something that lodged in the tire. That something caused the vibration as you were driving. When it came out - flat tire. The depression in the rubber around the hole supports this as well. It sucks, but it happens.

cheers!

clemsondds 03-14-2019 11:22 PM

This may be a dumb question but, is it possible when they were installing the tires, something got left in the tire before they inflated it? Then when I drove on them...if finally broke through? I just think it's weird I ran over something within 1/4 mile from the dealership...that's when I started feeling the vibration. But I guess it could happen

mikeearly 03-15-2019 08:29 AM

I would think that if they left something inside the tire - assuming that you had then swapped over to the existing rims - then I don't think there would be the indentations on the outside of the tire ... not to mention that something left inside the tire would be rattling around as the tire rotated and hard to believe that would create a vibration.

you could have run over something at the dealership -- but since you don't have the offending item I think it will be very hard to convince the dealer that they have any responsibility at all.....

this is probably one of those " bad stuff happens" things and you'll never know why...

just my 2¢ worth.....

LexVan 03-15-2019 09:12 AM

Well, on the plus-side, your dealership picked you in within 25 minutes. That's great customer service.

Passenger side? It's always that dang side.

clemsondds 03-15-2019 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 15705243)
Well, on the plus-side, your dealership picked you in within 25 minutes. That's great customer service.

Passenger side? It's always that dang side.

Yeh they were pretty helpful. No it was rear driver's side.

LexVan 03-15-2019 09:17 AM

When they did the swap back to summer rubber, did they re-road force balance the rims? And did they put each tire back on the exact same corner they came off of in the fall??

clemsondds 03-15-2019 09:22 AM

Unfortunately, I have no idea. I guess I should pay more attention to that.

LexVan 03-15-2019 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by clemsondds (Post 15705260)
Unfortunately, I have no idea. I guess I should pay more attention to that.

These tires don't like to be swapped sides. And they need to be re-balanced. This could be a contributing factor to your vibration. This fall, mark the; RR, LR, LF, and RF. That will help you with the re-mounting. If they last that long.:)