Sponsored by:

Help! Weird bumpy texture on lower side of brand new GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 11:11 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by slythetove
Unless you have wet sanded the car (or had someone do it) there is orange peel on your car. You may choose to say there isn't because you have less than some other car(s) you've had or seen or you don't really know how to identify it but it's there. Look harder at the right angles on the right panels and you'll find it. All modern factory robot painted cars that were not hand sanded during the process or wet sanded for perfection afterward have orange peel. All.
If you saw my car in person you would agree with me, and I again, I know what orange peel is and how to ID it. Maybe it is because it is Miami Blue? I don't know but I my PPF installer said the paint on my was one of the best he has seen on a factory car. However, IF it is there I cannot see it and that is all I can say, and all I will say so stay on topic and move along.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:40 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
I'm pretty sure Porsche has found a fix for the uniqueness of that "bumpy" rocker panel. Most of the newer ones I've been seeing on the showroom floor now seem to have matching orange peel on the rest of the car.

I'm not even joking. There was a GTS Cab right near my service guys desk when I was in there a few weeks ago, and I told him if I had ordered that car special, I wouldn't accept it with that paint job. Every model in there had atrocious orange peel at least somewhere on the car.
Ain't this the truth. Some of these 911's have orange peel so intense they look like tiny dings. My car's orange peel isn't noticeable at even minor distance, but get up close and scanalyze the paint at shadowplay angles, and oh you'll see it.

As for the rough texture at the bottom of the rockers, very normal. That area will get thrashed with debris, and if it's like mine, up close it'll get full of little chips and such. Good thing they made it so rough or who knows how bad it would look. That area is one of the rare if only areas of the car I'm not OCD about, as being OCD about it would drive you insane. You won't notice it from any distance and thankfully Porsche already made the texture rough, so it's nothing to be perfectionist about.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:35 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by slythetove
Unless you have wet sanded the car (or had someone do it) there is orange peel on your car. You may choose to say there isn't because you have less than some other car(s) you've had or seen or you don't really know how to identify it but it's there. Look harder at the right angles on the right panels and you'll find it. All modern factory robot painted cars that were not hand sanded during the process or wet sanded for perfection afterward have orange peel. All.
Exactly....its there. Have a look at a Rolls or Aston.... virtually zero orange peel.
That textured stuff below the doors is weird. Surprised that was the solution. Seems to work.

Quick Reply: Help! Weird bumpy texture on lower side of brand new GTS