Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.1ers: How big a diff does your Sound-Symposer make & how do you know if not working?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 08:30 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts
Default .1ers: How big a diff does your Sound-Symposer make & how do you know if not working?

Got curious of this as I saw a thread with some people saying theirs stopped working due to changeover valve failure. So I wanted to be sure mine works.

Firstly, looking for .1 owners impressions solely due to the fact that the .2 has two symposers and the sound dynamic of the car is entirely different overall.

My car has an x pipe so naturally it's a lot harder to differentiate symposer on and off (with windows down, probably impossible). Tonight I tried it on the roads with windows up and when giving it some throttle around town, I do feel like symposer on (sport/sport+ modes) made accelerations and higher RPM's sound throatier, but again, subtle with the wail of the x pipe. So I got it onto the freeway since my OCD sensibilities still weren't convinced, and while keeping it in manual mode so I can keep the RPM's up and switch between normal and sport, surprisingly again, I didn't notice a difference. Started to think maybe mine's not working, until I got the RPM's to about 6K, and while the car sounded incredible and angry already, it was then that I put it into sport mode and noticed a difference.... all of a sudden it got more boomy and increasingly savage sounding. Still, a pretty extreme example required to truly notice it.

So I guess I can rest assured it works, although the difference is more subtle than I previously thought. Again, probably due to my loud exhaust which already reverberates like a sweet tune throughout the cabin.

Curious to know what exhaust setups you guys have and how noticeable you feel the symposer is. And also, if said symposer stops working, how would you know? I've heard there is no dash warning? This thread here shows how you can view it and it seems pretty simple, so as long as it opens at idle when you go into sport/sport+, it's probably worth checking out to know for sure.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...poser-mod.html
Old 03-09-2019, 08:50 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

My plenum helped the symposer amplification more than my exhaust.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:19 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by garfunkle
My plenum helped the symposer amplification more than my exhaust.
Interesting. I'd say the exhaust detracts from the symposer simply because it makes the car fundamentally louder (a great tradeoff as that's what you want anyway. The whole purpose of the symposer, and especially with the .2's extra symposer, was to compensate for increasingly quiet 911's). I had no idea about a 991 plenum mod until you mentioned it and I looked it up. Nice to see there are more ways to get sound out! Makes sense it coincides well with the symposer.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:24 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
Interesting. I'd say the exhaust detracts from the symposer simply because it makes the car fundamentally louder (a great tradeoff as that's what you want anyway. The whole purpose of the symposer, and especially with the .2's extra symposer, was to compensate for increasingly quiet 911's). I had no idea about a 991 plenum mod until you mentioned it and I looked it up. Nice to see there are more ways to get sound out! Makes sense it coincides well with the symposer.
if you have a base then the plenum makes even more of a difference since you'll also likely go with a bigger TB.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:42 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

if you have a base then the plenum makes even more of a difference since you'll also likely go with a bigger TB.
Your car sounds nice

Old 03-09-2019, 09:02 PM
K-A
Drifting

What’s the cost estimate for buying and doing both? Also any power gains to be expected?

It’s funny as when I was researching the x pipe my car came with, looking through different brands to find which one I have (Sharkwerks), lots of makers said it gives “30 HP” lol. Would be nice, but certainly not true.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:28 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A

What’s the cost estimate for buying and doing both? Also any power gains to be expected?

It’s funny as when I was researching the x pipe my car came with, looking through different brands to find which one I have (Sharkwerks), lots of makers said it gives “30 HP” lol. Would be nice, but certainly not true.
Depends... Probably 2K for full retail installed. Install is a PITA. Took me a solid 7 hours DIY. My DIY includes beers and not really efficient.

Power Gains are going to be more real with a larger TB. Guessing 15 real world - ish. You really want a tune though to take full advantage. This will be a bog improvement in naturally aspirated context. The 991.2 will make fun of you for the gains per dollar spent but that is just the way it goes.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:14 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Depends... Probably 2K for full retail installed. Install is a PITA. Took me a solid 7 hours DIY. My DIY includes beers and not really efficient.

Power Gains are going to be more real with a larger TB. Guessing 15 real world - ish. You really want a tune though to take full advantage. This will be a bog improvement in naturally aspirated context. The 991.2 will make fun of you for the gains per dollar spent but that is just the way it goes.
Can we get a comment on the "Red Dragon"? IMO its lost its Porsche sound and it sounds like a straight piped 6 cyl. Why R Rated why?

It sounds good, but not 991 good.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:35 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Wait what about this one?

Quick Reply: .1ers: How big a diff does your Sound-Symposer make & how do you know if not working?