Sponsored by:

Help! Targa 4 or Targa 4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 09:06 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby 911
You’ll have to check Cam’s stats but I believe the Targa 4 is one of the rarest 991 Carreras you can buy.
Bobby 911, where can I find this in RL?
Old 03-21-2019, 09:18 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee

Not so fast cowboy. I chose a 4S over a GTS because I didn’t want alcantara. I didn’t want CL. I didn’t want the black targa bar. So I configured a 4S with the GTS motor. I now have a C4S/GTS. Different strokes for different folks...

DaveGee
I do not have alcantara or CLs on my GTS, and I love the Black Targa bar, with the Miami Blue emblem...giddy-up!
Old 03-22-2019, 12:03 PM
Waterloo
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Just changed my order to add PDLS+. I have to stop reading this forum or I will end up with PCCBs as well!

Imagine if the Porsche configurator had an "order now" button and these changes could be made online? Drunk Porsche building would be very expensive.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:15 PM
fastforddriver
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterloo
Just changed my order to add PDLS+. I have to stop reading this forum or I will end up with PCCBs as well!

Imagine if the Porsche configurator had an "order now" button and these changes could be made online? Drunk Porsche building would be very expensive.
lololol, true story ^^^
Old 03-22-2019, 08:45 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Any way you slice it, the Targa is just a supremely fun GT car.
GTS config is icing on the cake.
Enjoy and drive it in good health!
Old 04-02-2019, 10:02 PM
Waterloo
Advanced

So I have changed my config again. https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PK7E7HZ0 Went GT Silver. I thought I wanted the basic 4 way seats but now I am trying to understand what the 18 way memory seats get me. I know there are the basic seat settings, mirrors and then the comfort access seat movement but what are the individual settings with the PCM I will be missing out on? I will be the only driver (my wife will drive it rarely). And input from those that only have the 4 way and those with the 18 way would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-02-2019, 10:39 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

So I have changed my config again. https://www.porsche.com/microsite/po...px?c=/PK7E7HZ0 Went GT Silver. I thought I wanted the basic 4 way seats but now I am trying to understand what the 18 way memory seats get me. I know there are the basic seat settings, mirrors and then the comfort access seat movement but what are the individual settings with the PCM I will be missing out on? I will be the only driver (my wife will drive it rarely). And input from those that only have the 4 way and those with the 18 way would be greatly appreciated!
My wife barely drives my car either. When she does, she only really presses one button to move the seat up and that is it. Takes me 5 seconds to put it back.

To me the 4 ways are comfortable and suportive. I never find myself wishing I had anything else. I dont feel like I am shorted in any way. I get in and my seat is where I left it in a comfortable settting. What more could I want?
Old 04-03-2019, 12:54 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Waterloo, the PDLS comment may have been to ensure you get the black surround version, not the grey surround.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:26 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

I have both the 4 way sport plus seats in my Boxster and the 18 ways in my Targa (previous C2S also had 18 ways). On my options short list on any Porsche is the “must have” sport plus seats although 992 may change that. Frankly, I don’t find the non sport plus seats as comfortable. I’ve never been unhappy in my 4 ways and prior to owning the car, I felt that lumbar support/ adjustment was essential. After spending time in the 18’s (C2S was a highly optioned used car), I decided I really liked the thigh extension and the idea of having lumbar adjustment. I definitely prefer the ease of entry and exit the 4 ways provide as one quick pull on the lever and the seat moves fore or aft. The “comfort entry” only moving the seat back a couple inches barely makes a difference especially if you can’t fully open your door when entering or exiting. The ability to tighten the bolstering in the 18’s isn’t that important to me but will play with this feature this summer once I’m wearing fewer layers.

At at the end of the day, if the budget required me to choose, I wouldn’t hesitate go with the 4 ways in order to allow other options to be included in the build.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:43 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by _RS_
Waterloo, the PDLS comment may have been to ensure you get the black surround version, not the grey surround.
That was the main reason I got them, which I felt looked better on my exterior color. And I did not want to go the decal route.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:47 AM
Waterloo
Advanced

Originally Posted by _RS_
Thanks, I did make the switch to PDLS+ when I was going white. I drove into Toronto last week to check out a few cars and decided that white is too stark for me with all the black on the GTS. Switched to GT Silver. I prefer the standard lights and the silver trim on the GT Sliver. $3,160 saved!

I keep going over the configurator and can't seem to find anything I want or need to add to the car. I like the simplicity of my build. Leather is the only possibility but I have two dogs that will be travelling with me (crazy, I know) and while they are very well behaved I worry that one wayward paw would scratch the leather on a door or dash. And with a black interior full leather has the least impact.

Here are the ladies that will be riding with me.

As an asside, It may only be a big city issue but its really annoying visiting these dealers to find that they all have very few 911s on the lot, most of them are stored off site and appointments are needed to see them. Lots of Cayennes and Macans though.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:21 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

As an asside, It may only be a big city issue but its really annoying visiting these dealers to find that they all have very few 911s on the lot, most of them are stored off site and appointments are needed to see them. Lots of Cayennes and Macans though.
Sucks but could be worse ... with very few 991.2 cars to look at anywhere near me (including 2 hrs away), seeing and test driving before ordering months ago was not an option. Based on this, I had to make a “blind” decision or two when honing in on my build. This forum is great for help with this; however, there’s definitely a cost to this “online research” ! Time will tell what missing options on my current build will move up the wish list for future builds. This car thing is a sickness ...

By the way, cute pups !
Old 04-04-2019, 01:24 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
... I chose a 4S over a GTS because I didn’t want alcantara. I didn’t want CL. I didn’t want the black targa bar. So I configured a 4S with the GTS motor. I now have a C4S/GTS. Different strokes for different folks... DaveGee
Yes. Also, it will probably be less expensive to dealer install the X51 PowerKit later, for less money, especially if you catch one on sale. I found the lowest sale price in the country and my dealer matched it. That's what I did, selling my S Turbo takeoffs with 1400 miles for $3200. So my net dealer installed cost was $3800 + tax. Last time I looked in the online PCNA Configurator, the X51 PowerKit is $7000 plus court $7000 in required penance options. Just be sure to order and all the other performance stuff on an S, so nothing else needs to be added for the X51 PowerKit install. And a dealer-installed X51 carries full Porsche new car warranty, not just the 2 year Porsche

parts warranty.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:45 PM
JMZD
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not think so. I was under same situation last november and finally ordered the 4S due to the extra HP and rear axle steering. Just receive the car rhia weekend and still on learning process...

I need a little guidance. I am in Canada and looking for a new Targa. They are limited here and most of the builds are loaded and crazy expensive (and have PDK).

I have found a new Guards Red Targa 4 with limited options and a build I like (I think I would only have added sport chrono) build code http://www.porsche-code.com/PKILMW73 I am concerned I would like more performance and had hoped to find a similar 4S.

So I did an ideal build on a 4S (again, limiting the options and cost) and there is nothing available. My dealer came back and pointed out that for an extra $4000 I could get a Targa 4 GTS (they have an allocation being built mid May). So, this is the stripper build for the GTS I came up with http://www.porsche-code.com/PK3ZLDN1

Dealers here are really annoying with their lack of discounts. I have “negotiated” a $5000 CAD discount on both cars. This really is a case of creeping commitment. I'm good with the $159k for the 4 and was willing to stretch to $178k for the 4S but the GTS is $183

To my questions - Is the Targa GTS “worth” $24,000 more than the Targa 4? Am I missing anything on the stripped down GTS build that should make me rethink this? What is the $24,000 getting me on the GTS that the 4 doesn’t have other than bigger brakes, sport chrono and 80 hp? Do I really need the extra performance?

Sorry for throwing this out on my first post. I have been hanging around here for a while soaking up everyone’s knowledge, unfortunately I don’t feel any smarter! 😊

Thanks,
J
Old 05-06-2019, 04:54 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Only you can answer that question and if you are able to drive them all, look at the options, etc. it would be an easier decision. Personally, I thought it was worth the money to get the GTS but money is relative so that may or may not apply to you. I figured that if I am going to spend as much as I was on a car why not get exactly what I want. And I still wound up spending about $20k after buying it

Quick Reply: Help! Targa 4 or Targa 4 GTS