Sponsored by:

Rear Park Assist

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 11:13 AM
OldNGray
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Park Assist

I recently bought a new to me and almost brand new in general 2013 911 CS4. I am completely new to Porsche but have wanted one for a long time. Like I said the car is basically new with less then a 1000 miles on it.
It has many options but one it doesn't have is a back up camera or front and rear park assist. I understand that I can add an after market backup camera but what I was looking to do on leaner budget for this year was just to find a way to turn on the car graphic on the PCM display. It feels like if you get the graphic with the front and rear option it just should be a setting or reconfigure of the PCM to make it show the graphic if you only have the rear assist. I've been lurking around this board for a bit but I haven't seen the question asked. If anyone could point me in the right direction or explain if its possible it would be very helpful.
Thanks.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:58 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

If you want the graphics to appear in your PCM when reversing, you must have the Rear PDC or Front/Rear PDC. You can't have the option without the bumper-cover mounted sensors, on top of which you get the PDC option enabled for the car and a rear camera. The cost to add all this is going to be way over what you'd spend on a nicely-integrated rear or even rear and front cameras! But maybe I am misunderstanding your question? Maybe you have front and rear PDC without a rear camera? I didn't know that was possible, but I guess for pre-2015 991s the rear camera wasn't a sure thing....?

On the other hand, if you add an aftermarket rear camera, and integration with your PCM, you WILL get the rear-view and parking lines (you WON'T get the distance warning graphics or chimes tho!). This is doable for under $2k USD. Adding rear PDC, bumper cover, sensors, camera, etc. will cost more than that!
Old 02-27-2019, 06:02 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

https://navtv.com/products/category/..._2015_usa.html
Old 02-27-2019, 06:09 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

NavTv.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:31 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a 2013 with front and rear park assist. I didn't know you could get just rear park assist and Porsche didn't include the camera until it was required by law. The graphic I think you're referring to is the outline of the car with colored blobs roughly showing the distance until you hit something. If this is what you're asking about, just go aftermarket as the optical quality will be much better. (Knowing Porsche options, it wouldn't be surprising if these graphics aren't even loaded to the memory of your particular car's PCM and your electrical harness isn't set up for the sensors.)
Old 02-27-2019, 06:36 PM
puppycat
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have rear-only parking assist and no graphic on the PCM when in reverse. Is the graphic only available when optioned with both front/rear assist?
Old 02-27-2019, 06:48 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the rear only no graphics, when I bought the car I thought I was going to miss the camera I have on the wife's car, but NO, now I firmly believe you don't need more than the sound, wouldn't pay a dime for the front/video... just me.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:24 PM
z33
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,

Am contemplating the same, will an after market camera mess with the pcm electronics? (Ie cause CEL)

cheers,
z
Old 02-27-2019, 08:26 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT375/pcm31-xg-cam.html
Old 02-27-2019, 09:20 PM
OldNGray
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Guys, Yes it does only have built in sensors in the rear bumper. So the car beeps but no graphic on the PCM. I figured since it seemed like the only difference between the front and rear option that shows the graphic and the rear only cars don't.
I thought maybe someone found a work around to show the graphic on the PCM for cars that only have the rear sensors..
I had seen that I could add the NAV system for a rear camera but that was more then I wanted to spend right now after the car purchase.

Quick Reply: Rear Park Assist