Sponsored by:

How much to vinyl wrap car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 12:58 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Default How much to vinyl wrap car?

Anyone done this to their 991 and if so how much, where did you have it done and would you recommend it? Toying with the idea of changing the color of my car for a season to freshen up the look but like the idea of full reversibility later.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:24 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,193 Likes on 716 Posts

I have not done it but hear it ain't cheap. I asked my guy how much he charges to wrap a Mercedes, he said around $7K. No idea now much for a Pcar, but guessing it is in the neighborhood.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:17 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

coworker had his model X wrapped. 7k
Old 02-23-2019, 12:47 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Unfortunately there isn't a single answer to that question -- it all "depends." Depends on the market, the installer (experience and skill level), the materials (type of wrap such as Matte, Metallic, color shift), design or single color, printed, overlays, etc. You also have to factor in the level of dismantling you allow (lights, doors, handles, bumper covers, badging, etc.), the amount of surface prep required (quality of the wrap job starts with the surface!) to name a few. The materials cost is the lower % of the total job typically, with the rest going into installation time. For a 911, the materials you need are minimum of 250 square feet, and you would typically purchase materials in rolls of 5ft by X feet, with a 250 sq ft. roll being basically 5 ft x 50 ft (1.52m x 15.2m) . So if you went single-color, standard 3M 1080 which is one of the more popular brands materials, you might be looking at materials-only cost of ~$500 US dollars (varies greatly depending on where you buy from as well!). The installer might mark that up, maybe not.... But again, you are going to pay a much larger fee for the installation -- as others have suggested you may end-up in the range of $7k USD but I've seen prices from as low as $2.5K up to nearly $15K USD in the US NE Region for luxury and sports cars. The lower-end being new or unproven, sometimes teenage in-mom's-garage installers just starting-out, and the higher-end being from professional, years of experience type shops that also included skilled dismantling, large-format entire car printing, overlays, insurance and warranty coverage, etc. So like I started off with -- it "depends!" ;-)

If you go the route of pricing your vehicle for full color-change wrap, post your experience here!
The following users liked this post:
Catharpin (09-04-2020)
Old 02-23-2019, 12:48 PM
One N Done
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Lamborghini was being done at the shop when I picked my car up. They told me ~$6k.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:12 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts

A guess is that some of the spread in costs is in how much of the car they dismantle to get full wrap around on all the edges, lights, bumpers etc. Stretching the wrap to the panel edges and trimming there costs less. At the lower end, probably ~$3k for full car. The Chrome wraps are more expensive to buy, and to install because they stretch less and require more labor.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:36 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Depends on how far you want to go. The best job will take the whole car apart then put it back together. Broken clips, adhesive residue, scratched hidden paint damage, rattles, creaks, squeaks, and razor marks are included at no additional charge. Repeat business when removing is welcome.

IMO - I'd just take the loss and trade in if you want a different color. Normally wraps are for a purpose like business advertising, wanting to standout with something unique, etc... not just a change of color.
The following users liked this post:
Martin S. (07-09-2021)
Old 02-23-2019, 03:28 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,193 Likes on 716 Posts

I would think Mo would know the range. He does clear bra, don't know if he does wraps, but I think basically same process as far as disassembling, etc. Maybe he can chime in.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:44 PM
rcristobal
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Anyone done this to their 991 and if so how much, where did you have it done and would you recommend it? Toying with the idea of changing the color of my car for a season to freshen up the look but like the idea of full reversibility later.
One quoted me $6k in San Carlos. Maybe we can get a group buy.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:03 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

I think I'll probably do this in a couple years, just the heck of it. Interested to hear how what you find out.

And I hope you do some bright color! Hoovie just wrapped his 996 in Dreamsicle Orange (skip to 7:10)....
Old 02-24-2019, 11:29 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Wow super helpful everyone. Going to call some places Monday to check but seems like consensus is 6-7k. Will ask to see some example cars before deciding on a place as well as check out the differences in kinds of vinyl, etc.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:38 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I asked my guy how much he charges to wrap a Mercedes, he said around $7K. No idea now much for a Pcar, but guessing it is in the neighborhood.
That is about right. A local had his whole 991 wrapped...$8K.

Old 09-04-2020, 12:27 PM
htown991
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are lots of benefits to wrapping vs. painting:
- Wraps are cheaper
- They're easy to undo so you can get whatever color you want without worries about resale
- They protect the original paint

I wrote up a bit of detail on how much does it cost to wrap a car, but a lot of the group here seems to say the same around $5k-$7.5k (up to $10k if you want fibre) . I'd expect about $5k+ for vinyl and maybe a $2.5k for install but seems like some are finding decent deals at $6k. Just watch out for what quality vinyl they're getting you if you purchase the install and vinyl from the same people! Obviously they'll want the margin so might throw in a low-tier material to try and pad their install cost. Don't skimp out here or it might not look as good as you expect. Especially when comparing it to the styling of the 991.

If you're looking to get your car wrap in Houston (where I am), there are quite a few good options. Auria auto styling does some good work though.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:37 PM
Nthusiast
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

"Depends" is the correct answer. I had my wife's Grand Cherokee wrapped in matte black and it was $3k but I'm in a smaller market. It took a week to finish.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:04 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

The film of wrap I believe is thinner than actual PPF so it provides less protection. Wraps are really for those that don't want to paint their car, rather have new colors they can put their cars through every time they get tired of it. @ 4-7K a pop... that's pretty much close to the cost of a paint job.

Broken clips, adhesive residue, scratched hidden paint damage, rattles, creaks, squeaks, and razor marks - These are the potentials that made me not do it for my Panamera 4S before, and the price was way more than 7k considering the size of that car and all the curves and panels the installer would have to deal with.

But to each to their own, if you want to do it, go for it, just make sure you go to a really reputable installer and do your due diligence, check out their previous or current work then decide.

Quick Reply: How much to vinyl wrap car?