Sponsored by:

Techart power kit for 991.2 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 02:47 PM
Gjferguson
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Techart power kit for 991.2 Carrera

Does anyone have experience with the Techart power kit? They sell a kit for $6000 installed that adds 60 hp and equal torque. Considering it for my base Carrera but would like to have opinions from people who have it to get any pros or cons.

Old 02-18-2019, 02:54 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Do not waste your money. Look elsewhere.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:53 PM
Gjferguson
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Do not waste your money. Look elsewhere.
Have you had this kit? Techart is a respected German tuning company. The kit provides more boost to the turbos. My concern is the effect on things like, throttle control and PDK shifting.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:19 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Are you advertising for Techart? Who cares about those details you mentioned about them. All their products are overpriced.

You wanna spend $6000 for 60hp? Do it.

Id rather spend $1500 for more than 100hp through COBB. With than remaining $4500 I can buy a very nice header/cat setup which will improve throttle response, torque and spool. There you have it.. $6000 good for about 120hp/tq and a sweet sounding car. Tested, and respected.. I'll wait all night for one person who has the techart package.

PS: You can protune with Cobb (custom tune for your tastes and desires) and they released refreshed updates.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:25 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Techart sells a kit including an upgrade for the exhaust, wheels and an engine tune. Isn’t this the complete kit?

For an engine tune, from the German tuners I would go with Cargraphic and maybe FVD, before Techart. However Techart also has a good reputation. Nothing wrong with going with the Germans on aftermarket tunes. It took them quite a bit longer than most of the US based tuners before they issued their tunes for the 991.2. And there’s probably a good reason for that.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:44 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
Techart sells a kit including an upgrade for the exhaust, wheels and an engine tune. Isn’t this the complete kit?

For an engine tune, from the German tuners I would go with Cargraphic and maybe FVD, before Techart. However Techart also has a good reputation. Nothing wrong with going with the Germans on aftermarket tunes. It took them quite a bit longer than most of the US based tuners before they issued their tunes for the 991.2. And there’s probably a good reason for that.
Well if it contains full exhaust, wheels, and tune then I'd say it might be worth it.. For only 60hp though? I'm not sure on that.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:52 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

It's a piggy back tune.
Personally would pass as there are other ways, that are a lot less expensive, to achieve greater gains.

Even if it were a full on exhaust, headers, and tune...still weak gains imo, compared to Fabspeed performance package.

If you want it for warranty, note that it's a Techart warranty, not Porsche. Your Porsche warranty will go bye bye with the Techart stuff; you'll get Techart warranty covering the car.

It's like Dinan is with BMW. Nice stuff; conservative than most other options.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:52 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

https://www.techart.de/de/modelle/91...e-fahrdynamik/

There was an article on the kit when they first launched it. Article talks about wheels being included. That would seem a very good deal considering the average price of upgrade wheels for these cars. But I just checked their website and it seems wheels are not included, so engine tune, and exhaust with tips. 8.000 EUR. I bit steep. Maybe not so much if you compare with Akrapovic but I do not know if that would be a good comparison. Cargraphic (and FVD) sell sport cats or cat bypass pipes which in combination with the factory standard PSE gives a very nice upgrade sound wise. They also sell an engine tune, stage 1, for a lot less than the Techart deal.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:03 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

$6k for a 60hp piggyback tune? Is it April 1st already? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I'd rather set my money on fire.
​​​​​
Old 02-18-2019, 06:35 PM
Gjferguson
8th Gear

Thanks for the input. I have no stock in Techart, just trying to get informed opinions. Yes Cobb is cheaper but for my car I would have to remove the ECU and ship it to them to be flashed before installing the Accessport.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:48 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gjferguson
Thanks for the input. I have no stock in Techart, just trying to get informed opinions. Yes Cobb is cheaper but for my car I would have to remove the ECU and ship it to them to be flashed before installing the Accessport.
The Techart piggy back tune is actually more involved of an install imo. You have to go pretty deep inside the rear portion of the car to get to all the sensors and plugs that need to be connected to the module. This includes taking off the rear bumper, the intake and filter, and a lot of the tubes that run inbetween the engine. The ECU can be removed without removing the bumper completely; maybe an hours worth of work.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:12 PM
Gjferguson
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Aatish
The Techart piggy back tune is actually more involved of an install imo. You have to go pretty deep inside the rear portion of the car to get to all the sensors and plugs that need to be connected to the module. This includes taking off the rear bumper, the intake and filter, and a lot of the tubes that run inbetween the engine. The ECU can be removed without removing the bumper completely; maybe an hours worth of work.
You are correct. It has to be wired into the ECU and only operates in Sport or Sport plus mode. Takes about a day for a Techart authorized dealer to install it that is why it costa $1k to install and 5k for the kit. Yes it does void Porsche’s warranty but Techart has their own.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:31 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gjferguson
You are correct. It has to be wired into the ECU and only operates in Sport or Sport plus mode. Takes about a day for a Techart authorized dealer to install it that is why it costa $1k to install and 5k for the kit. Yes it does void Porsche’s warranty but Techart has their own.
It's obviously your car; so do what you feel just.

I personally wouldn't do TechArt's tune mainly for the 3 reasons:

1.) It's a piggyback. Nothing wrong with them, but they never achieve the factory smooth feel imo. You're tricking the motor by altering signal values before they are read by the sensors. These are usually never as aggressive as proper tunes, but still...you're limited to what can be manipulated with such a tune.
2.) Price. 6k for a piggy back is a lot. Piggyback tunes should be the cheapest and quickest ways to get a tune. If you want a piggy back tune, go get a racechip or VR tune. It'll probably have a similar experience and be a lot cheaper.
3.) Very limited gains. 60whp increase ain't bad...but I don't think this tune will get you a 60hp increase to the wheels. If that were the case, the actually increase to the crank would be closer to 100hp. From what I'm reading online, the increase in power is probably closer to 35whp-40whp. An increase, but probably not as dramatic as one you'd expect.

Warranty is nice, sure. But it's not a Porsche warranty. TechArt is charging for this tune; warranty might be pretty comprehensive. That said, it's not a Porsche warranty. That matters.

My 2 cents; if you care about warranty, do go for a tune. Get an exhaust, headers, plenum, and filter. You'll probably end up spending around the same for those parts. Won't be as hard of a hit on warranty as a tune imo.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:58 PM
Gjferguson
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Aatish
It's obviously your car; so do what you feel just.

I personally wouldn't do TechArt's tune mainly for the 3 reasons:

1.) It's a piggyback. Nothing wrong with them, but they never achieve the factory smooth feel imo. You're tricking the motor by altering signal values before they are read by the sensors. These are usually never as aggressive as proper tunes, but still...you're limited to what can be manipulated with such a tune.
2.) Price. 6k for a piggy back is a lot. Piggyback tunes should be the cheapest and quickest ways to get a tune. If you want a piggy back tune, go get a racechip or VR tune. It'll probably have a similar experience and be a lot cheaper.
3.) Very limited gains. 60whp increase ain't bad...but I don't think this tune will get you a 60hp increase to the wheels. If that were the case, the actually increase to the crank would be closer to 100hp. From what I'm reading online, the increase in power is probably closer to 35whp-40whp. An increase, but probably not as dramatic as one you'd expect.

Warranty is nice, sure. But it's not a Porsche warranty. TechArt is charging for this tune; warranty might be pretty comprehensive. That said, it's not a Porsche warranty. That matters.

My 2 cents; if you care about warranty, do go for a tune. Get an exhaust, headers, plenum, and filter. You'll probably end up spending around the same for those parts. Won't be as hard of a hit on warranty as a tune imo.
Those are great points and I know there are more economical ways to go. Do I need the extra power, probably not, since I am not a track guy and too old to be a boy racer. I actually drove the Carrera S as well as the base and decided I didn’t need to spend $14k more to achieve a 3 tenths second better 0 to 60 time, so maybe I just answered my own question.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:39 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

There is a lot more to an "S" car than .3 seconds compared to a base car.

Quick Reply: Techart power kit for 991.2 Carrera