Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me ?? Paddles and PSE in Sport . . .

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 02:43 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Is it just me ?? Paddles and PSE in Sport . . .

So, I sold my 997 TT CAB and bought a 991 C2S CAB with PDK, PSE, sport chrono and a Sport wheel. I just took my first long range, 200 mile "there and back" drive. I know it's not near as fast as the TT, but the growls, blips, burps and groans with the top down is just fantastic. I have no idea why I have the Burmester, I have no care to turn it on. Had to share . . .
Old 02-17-2019, 09:48 AM
thejazzman
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I drive my 991.1 C4S w/PSE, PDK, SC in manual mode 99% of the time. I too love the sound of the downshift blips, pops and crackles so much more than my Bose (and I'm a huge music fan). The only time I crank the music is when I'm at a stoplight, stuck in traffic or detailing the car. For me, the exhaust sound is a big part of the 911 experience.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:54 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

^^^ Agree. I always hit the Sport and Sport Exhaust buttons the second I turn the car on. Really enhances the driving enjoyment for me. I got so used to the full headers-back Fabspeed exhaust in my 996 that I don't think I would have been happy at all without the sport exhaust and SC on my 991. My track Boxster exhaust is a bit much though. My ears are ringing by the time I drive home from the track.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:50 AM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

+3^^^
Old 02-21-2019, 05:20 AM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Does the manual make similar noises?
Old 02-21-2019, 08:25 AM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with the group, sport and sport exhaust are a must. I rarely turn them off. I've only had my car a few months, but I've noticed I'm always fiddling between sport, sport+, suspension and exhaust. Just kind of fun figuring out the differences and dialing things in to my liking.

I will say that in sport+ mode in auto the car holds in second gear too long for regular driving. Screaming.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:51 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by adcampo

I will say that in sport+ mode in auto the car holds in second gear too long for regular driving. Screaming.
The reason it holds in gear for "too long" in Sport+ is because Sport+ in auto mode is set to only shift at redline. That's why it's basically a track mode. The only time it will shift before redline is if you put your foot completely to the floor, tripping some silly "kickdown" switch, making the car downshift and rev like hell. Depending on your situation when that happens, it can be really annoying when paired with the jolting Sport+ gives you when shifting.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:01 AM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

T-Design makes a plug and play memory module that keeps the sport and pse, etc settings when you turn off the car so you dont have to click the buttons every time you start it.

https://t-design9.com/memory_module.html
Old 02-21-2019, 10:14 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
The only time it will shift before redline is if you put your foot completely to the floor, tripping some silly "kickdown" switch, making the car downshift and rev like hell.
I call that the go fast button when I have a passenger in the car.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:18 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeForce
T-Design makes a plug and play memory module that keeps the sport and pse, etc settings when you turn off the car so you dont have to click the buttons every time you start it.

https://t-design9.com/memory_module.html
I like this! Only $200.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,252 Posts

The reason it holds in gear for "too long" in Sport+ is because Sport+ in auto mode is set to only shift at redline. That's why it's basically a track mode. The only time it will shift before redline is if you put your foot completely to the floor, tripping some silly "kickdown" switch, making the car downshift and rev like hell. Depending on your situation when that happens, it can be really annoying when paired with the jolting Sport+ gives you when shifting.
FYI the Cobb PDK tune eliminates the kickdown mode for sport+ which is ideal for track use ...
Old 02-21-2019, 03:41 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
FYI the Cobb PDK tune eliminates the kickdown mode for sport+ which is ideal for track use ...
991.2s dont have the kickdown button
Old 02-21-2019, 04:14 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 330 Posts

This is how kick down works (from manual). Also, please note that when your foot is 100% depressed on the floor the PDK will downshift and the car will not hit the rev limiter as the downshift will happen just before.=leftKickdown
The kickdown function is active in selector-lever positions D and M.
  1. For optimum acceleration, e.g. when overtaking, press the accelerator pedal beyond the full-throttle point (kickdown).
The transmission shifts down depending on the speed of travel and engine speed.

Upshifts occur at the highest possible engine speeds.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:31 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by thejazzman
I drive my 991.1 C4S w/PSE, PDK, SC in manual mode 99% of the time. I too love the sound of the downshift blips, pops and crackles so much more than my Bose (and I'm a huge music fan). The only time I crank the music is when I'm at a stoplight, stuck in traffic or detailing the car. For me, the exhaust sound is a big part of the 911 experience.
^ What he said is SPOT-ON. 2016 991.1 C4S here with all the same goodies and wow does she howl. Make me belive there is a soul in there.

Prior to buying it I did get to take a new 991.2 TT for a ride. There is a soul in that one too, which will find you opting to silence the radio, to enjoy the sounds of the car.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:28 PM
afk
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

i drive in the cold with my window half down -- just so i can enjoy ....
cant wait for the weather to change in the next few weeks - and then top down once again ...

Quick Reply: Is it just me ?? Paddles and PSE in Sport . . .