Sponsored by:

WWYD - What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 06:43 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Default WWYD - What would you do?

I have received a small inheritance and am seriously considering making a pretty extensive change to the exhaust system on the Carrera - Hi-flow headers with cats and cat-back exhaust. The cost are not outside my comfort level but they are significant none-the-less. The car is not a DD and the company I will be dealing with has "assured" me there will be no/little drone. I am leaning towards the change since my favorite past ride was a 2011 GT 500 with Borla exhaust and I have realized that I really missed the rumble (and feeling of a very robust exhaust). And yes, I realize the flat 6 will never ever sound like that V-8 . At the Rolex 24 this year I stood in the garage and listened to RSR being tuned up and loved the sound - the Vettes were nearby and that sound was great but I actually liked the flat 6 a bit better.

I do plan on keeping the car for quite a while - can't really justify a new one at the current prices and I'm 75 and can't see me outgrowing this car at this point --- thus no strong concern over resale impact. CPO is over in April and while that shouldn't matter -- it becomes a moot point in a few months.

The concern? This is a pretty major modification and one that won't be easy to change back - unlike the DSC and the COBB that can easily be reversed. Am I doing major damage to the value of the car?

As you can tell I am leaning heavily to the change -- am I missing some significant decision criteria here?????
Old 02-13-2019, 12:40 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 563 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeearly

The concern? This is a pretty major modification and one that won't be easy to change back - unlike the DSC and the COBB that can easily be reversed. Am I doing major damage to the value of the car?
As far as car mods go, I actually consider headers/cats and exhaust pretty mild and easily reversible. I'd guess around 4 hours labor. You only live once, just do it, in my opinion.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:54 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,368 Likes on 2,311 Posts

Yeah, this is not a big deal and many of us make such mods. Several companies make nice stuff, such as Soul Performance, and high-flow cats alone will give you better sound and headers are more for increased power.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:04 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

If I had PSE, I wouldn't fool with going aftermarket. But nothing wrong with upgrading if you still want more volume.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:04 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,116 Likes on 665 Posts

You only live once-do it and make the most of the experience! Keep the stock parts-easy to reverse if needed.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:00 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 240 Posts

YOLO! Geez, your are 75 and on the back nine. Enjoy your car, enjoy your inheritance. Enjoy this, it may wind up extending your life - simply because of sheer Happyness.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:09 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

I agree, there are many vendors that offer quality exhaust units, and ones that can meet anyone’s taste. I would say go for it, especially if you had a ShelbyGT500 with a Borla exhaust, you’ll be fine.
all I gotta say is...

Last edited by NJ991; 02-13-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:42 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 227 Posts

Tell us more about the Carrera. Is it a 991.1 or 991.2? With or without factory PSE?

While a flat six can sound amazing, especially the naturally aspirated 991.1’s, it will never sound like a V8 Mustang. What makes the Ford engine sound so unique is the firing order. While the GT500 does not have the flat plane crank they do sound good.

How much to modify the exhaust on the Carrera?
Old 02-14-2019, 09:13 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

First of all, thanks for the responses.

As many of you have probably experienced, I am getting a little "resistance" from my better half. "why do you need this?" you're too old to be driving around in a loud car" "there are a lot of other things that we could do with that money" "what's wrong with your car as it is?" "oh great, more money on that ridiculously expensive car you don't even drive everyday". " Aren't you too old for that nonsense?" (my favorite) And, those are some of the more reasoned responses. . I will say at the end of the multi-day discussion it concluded with "it's your inheritance so if that is what you want to do with it then go ahead". By the way please don't take this to mean she is a bad mate -- we've been married for 53 years and have a great partnership, and I've learned to listen to her when she tells me something. She is just not a "car person" and I'm gonna apply that value to her vote on this decision.

As I said, I was heavily leaning towards the install and just wondered what y'all would have to say. At this point it is no longer a lean but a call to the mfg to tell them that as soon as they have something ready then I'm placing an order.

I've decided to go with Soul and their redesigned system for my 991. I had already installed PSE after I bought the car so it should play nice with my existing capabilities, System should be available for market shortly. I've tried lots of different exhaust over the years. Some have been great, some of have been ok but have a couple of annoying attributes - like drone, and some were poorly designed and an absolute Pita to install. Never had anything from Soul but really like what I have read about them here (and other places) and their pricing is very reasonable. No final pricing yet on this new system but we're estimating somewhere between $5 - 7k for the complete system - long tube headers, hi-flow cats, and catback exhaust.

The only decision I have left is the install. There is no way that I want to attempt to do this myself. So that leaves going up to Soul and having them do the install (about 300 miles), seeing what my dealer is willing to do, or going to an independent. Obviously if I go to Soul then I know it will be done right but I then have to deal with getting the old unit back home for storage. If the system is shipped to me to install locally then I take the Cayenne over to get the old system but I run the risk of getting into the discussion of fitment. I'll talk to John about what he thinks as we get closer to the release date.

Once again thanks for the responses and for those in the colder parts of the US -- just keep wishing/praying for an early spring!
Old 02-14-2019, 09:45 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,368 Likes on 2,311 Posts

Being so close to Soul I would go there and have them do it, and tell Mike & John hello to for me...great guys.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:23 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts

I say go for it, I sure hope I am still driving my 991 at 75 ! You can always just ship the parts back, for large or oversize boxes I use https://www.shipbikes.com/ which gives a pretty good discount.

Quick Reply: WWYD - What would you do?