Sponsored by:

PDK manual, would be nice if car auto-shifted up rev limiting

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 11:45 PM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
"Would there be instances one wouldn't want this automatic shift?" In general you wouldn't want the kick from a Sport Plus shift in the middle of a hard corner if you are at the limits. Actually, the automatic PDK programming has a feature that tries to avoid shifts when the lateral G's are high, according the to Technics manual for the original 997.2 PDK.

Gear retention while cornering
The lateral-acceleration sensor (single component with rotation-rate sensor), which is located under the centre console and works for the PSM system, is used to detect lateral acceleration and retain the engaged gear and lateral acceleration in the relevant gear, depending on the shift map.

but in reality this is not the case. i've never felt the PDK hold a gear no matter how much in the corner I am. The gear shifting on the PDK is so quick and precise, there is no issue with grip control that I can notice, when the car shifts during a corner. and all instances I can recall where i'm hitting a hard corner at redline, did the PDK prevent me from continuing to accelerate. It always shifted to the next gear mid corner and I continued to accelerate. I just have a hard time judging these hard corner at redline moments while driving in manual mode. its a bit of a sensory overload while trying to corner well and I end up hitting the limiter rather than shifting. PDK will always just shift up at redline, corner or no corner, in my experience.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:47 PM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
I'll tell you what I would love: for the PDK cars to have the gear shift assist option in the multi-function display.

I'm not talking about the triangle next to the digital speedo telling manual cars to upshift for better fuel economy, but the multi-function display option that shows the current gear as well as an indicator that turns yellow when the RPMs approach redline then switches to red when you really need to shift.
i think this is available in manual cars. would be a nice option for pdk in manual mode as well.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:58 PM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by JAhmed
To me, manual mode means MANUAL.

IMO, it's fine just the way it is. That being said, I have over 1300 track miles on my 991 and have never touched a paddle on track...just leave it in Sport Plus and let the car figure it out
i drive in auto half the time too when i'm chasing the seconds, but i use the manual mode and paddle shifts when I want a more engaging fun ride. you should try it. i find it much more enjoyable actually when time is not the most important
Old 02-11-2019, 11:59 PM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by SeeForce
im curious, what would you do if you were driving a car with a manual transmission? bounce off the limiter?
if you were in manual and do not shift at redline, you will hit the limiter
Old 02-12-2019, 10:01 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
i think this is available in manual cars.
Definitely. It's called Gear Shift Assist. My manual has it and I'd love to have it in my PDK too.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:29 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

I saw in another thread you are having a track day today. Did you try manual override shifting while in PDK auto mode to see if that was a good solution for you?
Old 03-02-2019, 12:09 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 447 Likes on 332 Posts

I added Sport/Sport+ to my 2009 Boxster PDK early last year and have 5 track weekends with it. Summit Point Main, WV has three tight turns, 6, 7, and 8. Its in 2nd through the 6 and 7 and upshifts to 3rd as you straighten up toward 8. The car seems to shift when the lateral G's diminish. I know I'm very near redline but never did it manual. Have you ever tried the "downshift" button if you push past full throttle? According to the owner's manual if you are in manual mode it will upshift. I have tried the manual paddle shifter a couple of times will in auto, but there is a definite delay before it goes back to auto. The car always seems to be in the right gear. Right now not worrying about manual shifting gives me more time to concentrate on braking and the right line.

09 Boxster PDK w/Sport/Sport+
Old 03-03-2019, 04:40 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
I saw in another thread you are having a track day today. Did you try manual override shifting while in PDK auto mode to see if that was a good solution for you?
duh you know I completely forgot. I’ll just try pinging the limiter on the street once in manual override. I have a feeling it will hit the limiter though. I’ll try sometime soon and let us know
Old 03-04-2019, 02:44 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by usccharles
This thought came up during a recent track day.

I drive in manual mode when i'm at track. PDK auto is definitely quicker, but manual is more fun. inevitably i bounce the limiter from time to time. Its hard to look at the road and at the rev needle at the same time. i try to shift by sound.?
Which track are you driving on in South Korea?

You say the PDK is quicker but you say the manual is more fun? Do you have two cars?

Please explain your opinion.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:57 AM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
Which track are you driving on in South Korea?

You say the PDK is quicker but you say the manual is more fun? Do you have two cars?

Please explain your opinion.
I mainly go to Inje Speedium

PDK in "automatic mode" is quicker but yes PDK in "manual mode" is more fun. I have one car. When you are in auto, the car highrevs and shifts at redline no matter what. in manual mode, there are times where I cannot physically juggle the speed and corner and be attentive enough to wait until RPM reaches redline to shift. I end up shifting earlier by listening to the motor reach redline rather than actually seeing redline on the tach. Therefor, my shifts are slightly less efficient than PDK on most shifts. Combine all of that and times a always a few seconds faster PDK auto compared to manuall mode

Quick Reply: PDK manual, would be nice if car auto-shifted up rev limiting